Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Even if thats true at least you have a prime up until a certain age short men as a whole are never in demand its an uphill battle from the begining unlike a womens age
My point is... we all have things in our life and about our appearance we can't control. Lamenting and whining over it isn't going to get you any more dates--in fact it will be a detriment to dating. I sympathize and understand it's frustrating, but that's not going to help you or anyone else. The only thing that will help is to face your own insecurities head on and put them in their place. And if anyone judges you for those insecurities, write them off as undatable to you.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 AM

943 posts, read 1,004,269 times
Face it, we're all not perfect, men or women...somewhere in the world, maybe in your own city, is someone who you would love to be with, you'd laugh, you'd share everything, you would be a support for each other in hard times, and best friends, except...they aren't perfect. Oh dear, guess they can only be my friend...
Really? Really, what if we weren't so brainwashed to think we only wanted perfection in every way. Airbrushed, phony, made over 'perfection'. Genetically freaky one in a million height weight and proportion perfection.
If we were all unknowingly part of a crazy conspiracy, like trying to destroy the fabric of our society by dividing us and making men and women hate each other, then I'd say they(whoever they are) succeeded on a massive scale.
Look at us, crying about our features not being attractive enough while we are most likely not doing anything to grow beyond the stagnation that keeps us exactly where we are most ineffectual.
There is no perfection, we're all just humans making our way, and as for height, pppfff, I saw a guy in B&N I really liked who was my height, maybe a little taller, I'm 5'2, I wanted to talk to him, we made eye contact with each other, we were even in the same line, I was trying to make myself sort of available...but, he just sort of had this hard look in his eyes and smirked, he gave the impression that he knew that I had judged him for being short, and that he was judging me right then, for not being _______ enough... And that look just destroyed it for me, any bravery I had mustered evaporated.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 AM

5,323 posts, read 6,099,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
My point is... we all have things in our life and about our appearance we can't control. Lamenting and whining over it isn't going to get you any more dates--in fact it will be a detriment to dating. I sympathize and understand it's frustrating, but that's not going to help you or anyone else. The only thing that will help is to face your own insecurities head on and put them in their place. And if anyone judges you for those insecurities, write them off as undatable to you.
Im not saying youre wrong im simply statign why short men vent at times its because we face the toughest hardship in dating add in that men have to be the pursuers and we get shot down all the time and maybe youll understand our plight sucks which is why we vent at times..

Sometimes women take for granted how hard it is just for us to get a foot in the door and a first date because it comes easy to them

Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Im not saying youre wrong im simply statign why short men vent at times its because we face the toughest hardship in dating add in that men have to be the pursuers and we get shot down all the time and maybe youll understand our plight sucks which is why we vent at times..

Sometimes women take for granted how hard it is just for us to get a foot in the door and a first date because it comes easy to them
I understand. I am just trying to pour on some tough love here I hate to see people despair when they don't have to.

By the way, never assume it's "easy" for a woman to get a date. It's not. It might be easy for some (just like it's easy for some men) but we face rejection too (either in the form of a "no" when it comes women approaching or never being approached). If you take the old fashion notion that a man should approach a woman, he can control who he approaches and when he might get nos--but at least when one says yes, it will be one he wanted. A frustrated woman who thinks this same old fashion way ends up just waiting and waiting and waiting and hoping someone finds her approachable and it also happens to be someone she's interested in too. She has to wait for the right guy and hope that he approaches. It all kind of works out to a wash.

If you take a more modern approach, some men can be very cruel to women they don't find attractive (just like some women). I've overhead men call women "fat" who really weren't all that fat. They just wanted to be mean to the woman who they didn't find attractive that dared approach. Some men are nicer to your face, but never call you back or vanish. You might think that's not mean, but it's the same feeling of maybe getting a woman's number only to find out she gave you the number to the local Pizza Hut.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Nope.

That's pretty much true.

But people sure do look down on guys who are short.

Hopefully your son won't be. If he is, be nice.
My son is actually taller than his dad, but I agree with you that someone shouldn't be looked down on because of their height. I come from a family of short people. My dad was only 5'8" and my mom a lot shorter than that (don't know exactly what her height was), so I guess that's why I ended up 5'1". My brothers are about the same height that my dad was. I never even gave their height a second thought.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:24 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
I am relatively short, 5'7. I have short friends. They all have girl friends or are married. None of them whine about being short. None of them have a Napolean complex. My wife is taller than me and I love it. Everybody makes fun of my height but I know they do it all in fun because they are close to me. I allow it and I make fun of some of their short comings. Tit for tat. Learn to live with what you were born with.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 AM

5,323 posts, read 6,099,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You are missing the point I made. So what if there are a few hateful bullies out there. Everyone falls into some kind of group someone else hates. But that hatred reflects on their poor character and it's their mental hangup and their problem--not yours. By letting people like that get to you, you are making their hangups your problem. Why do you want to give them that kind of power over you? It just enables them to bully you more. Ignore them and focus on women who are like other women in this thread who prefer shorter men.
Because theyres thousands and thousands who have posted this and theyre not just not attracted to short men they hate them which is so bizzare but brings home my point about women and vnaity..

Thets a much bigger sample size then the few women here who said they dont mind datign shorter guys

Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Because theyres thousands and thousands who have posted this and theyre not just not attracted to short men they hate them which is so bizzare but brings home my point about women and vnaity..

Thets a much bigger sample size then the few women here who said they dont mind datign shorter guys
Thousands our of the billions of women in the world. Really, it's a small minority of people who have some sort of mental issue who actively hate people for their height. There are also groups out there who hate redheads, women, Jews, African-Americans, etc, you name it. And a lot of those groups are a lot bigger than a few thousand women who "hate" short men.

I would concur that the majority of women "rather" date men taller than them. Most men "Rather" date women shorter than them too. But even then it's only a physical preference and people overlook physical preferences all the time. I prefer to date men my own age or close to it... I am dating a man 12 years older despite his age because his other qualities overshadow a mere preference. And while he's taller than me, guess what, he falls in the range people here are saying is "short."

Just to give you some hope:

Quote:

Also as you might expect, height and physical traits are not enough to explain what women want, especially when looking for long-term romantic relationships. More than physical appearance, which plays mostly in short-term relationships, women value personality, intelligence, and career choice. For dating, women look for men with agreeable personalities – men who show kindness, empathy, and intimacy, and factors like these can play a part in what women find most attractive in a man. - Braun, M. F., & Bryan, A. (2006). Female waist-to-hip and male waist-to-shoulder ratios as determinants of romantic desirability. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships

Last edited by jillabean; 12-12-2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Even if thats true at least you have a prime up until a certain age short men as a whole are never in demand its an uphill battle from the begining unlike a womens age
Why do you have to be "in demand"? You don't have to be desired by everyone in order to be desired by the right person.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why do you have to be "in demand"? You don't have to be desired by everyone in order to be desired by the right person.
People, men and women, sometimes equate "not being in demand" with not being desirable at all, anywhere. And if that same person believes that being desirable is an absolute must in order to enjoy life at all, it's not a huge leap from "not in demand" to miserable. I'm not saying the premises or the conclusion is truthful, but it is valid, logically. Running with those faulty premises is all too human.

Another part of this is that men seem especially prone to equate their overall worth with their ability to attract lots of different women. It's pretty central to traditional masculinity. We do this beyond the practical value in being attractive. It runs deeper than that.

I know your question was mostly rhetorical, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships