Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,802,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Oh, I have definitely dated and slept with guys who had negged me, before I know what it was.

But, like I said, what I felt was sympathy or pity for them. Not anger or defensiveness. I knew what they were saying was untrue, and had no worries about that.

I just thought I was being all altruistic, politely overlooking their disastrous social skills and faux pas. Which they did have in all areas of life. I mean, who else would even try such a technique?
But the difference is, you're saying you knew it was happening and decided to sleep with them anyway, not because the negging "worked" on you, so to speak. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you'd have given those guys a chance if they used a nicer approach as well. If not and I misunderstood you, then disregard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,009,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
But the difference is, you're saying you knew it was happening and decided to sleep with them anyway, not because the negging "worked" on you, so to speak. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you'd have given those guys a chance if they used a nicer approach as well. If not and I misunderstood you, then disregard
Oh, absolutely. I mean, I didn't know it was something they were doing consciously, deliberately. I thought they were just socially inept. But I dated them despite their ineptitude, not because of it.

I think it's hilarious that guys sell workshops and stuff to other guys, telling them to imitate what is basically autistic behaviour, in order to get girls.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
Quote:
I think it's hilarious that guys sell workshops and stuff to other guys, telling them to imitate what is basically autistic behaviour, in order to get girls.

A lot of people sell lots of "self help" bunk to lots of segments of the population, and they often swear by it. It's big business as lots of people can't think for themselves or don't trust their own thoughts or instincts.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:47 PM

35 posts, read 37,124 times
It would be wise not to say " You're beautiful. I'm sooo into BBW" When in fact, she does not advertise herself as a BBW in her profile.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:53 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,450,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
See, I just don't agree with it.

A guy could be the greatest guy and a great father and have good morals, but you next him because he told you how he didn't do anything over New Years Eve? You could totally be missing out.

But I dunno, I guess people have deep, deep pools to choose from.

Goes back to my volume/dating thread.
Who said that? No one has even mentioned NYE.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 PM

887 posts, read 1,101,642 times
Quote:
Oh, absolutely. I mean, I didn't know it was something they were doing consciously, deliberately. I thought they were just socially inept. But I dated them despite their ineptitude, not because of it.

Are you comparing this negging as a form of autistic behavior? Please elaborate

Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,009,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
Are you comparing this negging as a form of autistic behavior? Please elaborate

You can find some good examples upthread. If you know any autistic people, those are exactly the sorts of things they would say -- not out of any desire to offend or manipulate, but just because they are unaware of social subtleties.

My ex hubby is autistic, which I guess is part of why I felt empathy rather than anger when other guys negged me. I just thought they couldn't help it, same as him.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
You can find some good examples upthread. If you know any autistic people, those are exactly the sorts of things they would say -- not out of any desire to offend or manipulate, but just because they are unaware of social subtleties.

My ex hubby is autistic, which I guess is part of why I felt empathy rather than anger when other guys negged me. I just thought they couldn't help it, same as him.

I can't believe I just reread this whole thread over again. The only reference to autism is from you. How do you correlate autism and negging?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,045,818 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
How do you correlate autism and negging?

It comes across as social ineptitude, cluelessness, etc. that is not intentional. I thought that was more akin to aspergers than autism, but whatever.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It comes across as social ineptitude, cluelessness, etc. that is not intentional.
Ahhhh ok. I appreciate the clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships