Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,005,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It comes across as social ineptitude, cluelessness, etc. that is not intentional. I thought that was more akin to aspergers than autism, but whatever.
Well, the terms 'aspergers' is no longer current -- it's just called 'high functioning autism' now -- but, yes, exactly!

Negging to me reads as social ineptitude and cluelessness, not as deliberate azzhattery. Which I think means that I tend to give my fellow humans way too much benefit of the doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,160,205 times
High-functioning autism is not the same as Asperger's.

I really wish people would not slap either of those terms around though. I and many members of my family are Aspies and we are not clueless, insensitive jerks. Many of us have worked very hard to develop social skills that others take for granted.

One thing that distinguishes questionable words/behavior/deeds of Aspies from everyone else is intention. A person with Asperger's Autism would never intentionally harm another person. Any harm results from mutual misunderstanding, a disconnect that has more in common with language differences than intentionally bad behavior.

Aspies are some of the finest people anywhere. Stop using 'aspergers' and 'autistic' as slurs. That's really offensive.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,606,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
High-functioning autism is not the same as Asperger's.
She is correct. In the latest DSM (5), there is no diagnosis called Asperger's. It is all part of the Autism spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
Stop using 'aspergers' and 'autistic' as slurs. That's really offensive.
She wasn't. On the contrary, she was saying she has empathy for people with Autism (including the higher functioning ones formerly known as Asperger's) in part because her ex-husband was one.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,005,511 times
I love aspies! They are highly overrepresented among my closest friends. And yes, I married one.

I'm not an aspie myself, but I find their directness very relaxing. I grew up in a weird social environment, and I still have trouble with certain kinds of social complexity and indirectness.

With aspies, I don't have to think all the time about what is being left unsaid. And I'm not sure if it's true that no aspies lie, but the ones I know, at least, find it difficult and generally not worth the bother (as do I).

Old 12-19-2013, 07:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
oh please. y'all wouldn't know a 'neg' if it hit you in the face it is not what you think it is.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
She is correct. In the latest DSM (5), there is no diagnosis called Asperger's. It is all part of the Autism spectrum.

She wasn't. On the contrary, she was saying she has empathy for people with Autism (including the higher functioning ones formerly known as Asperger's) in part because her ex-husband was one.
I wasn't referring to NilaJones, per se. But it seems like in so many discussions on c-d whenever clueless, insensitive behavior is being talked about, someone raises the "Asperger's" or autism point. And then the thread many times devolves into armchair diagnoses of whatever unfortunate behavior as Asperger's.

Let's agree to just not do that, okay?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Such as THIS, posted just today on the thread on 'emotional needs'

Are you on the autism spectrum, because that would make sense if you are always focused on literal meanings and don't understand emotions.

Okay, that's what I mean.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:15 AM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh please. y'all wouldn't know a 'neg' if it hit you in the face it is not what you think it is.

Here's a neg in action

The Big Bang Theory 208 Howard gets smacked with his eye patch by Penny & Who gets the last dumpling - YouTube

Old 12-19-2013, 08:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,841,316 times
I don't like it when guys ask me if I've "met anyone on here" in the first email. Maybe they don't mean anything by it, but it reeks of nosiness.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:42 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,963,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Well, the terms 'aspergers' is no longer current -- it's just called 'high functioning autism' now -- but, yes, exactly!

Negging to me reads as social ineptitude and cluelessness, not as deliberate azzhattery. Which I think means that I tend to give my fellow humans way too much benefit of the doubt.
IMO, anyone that uses a neg KNOWS what they are doing.
It is a deliberate style/form of communication. Even if they arent students of PUA, it is a technique some people use to break someone down.

I would guess in Nila's situations the guys who negged her and she dated them anyway were attractive enough that the guy could say almost anything, and she would still give the guy a chance.
Which, furthermore supports my stance that IRL an attractive guy A) doesnt need game or PUA stuff, and B) is dating and sleeping with more of the dating population than people realize.

I could never pull off negging an attractive woman. I think next summer when I make my rounds, I will conduct some social experiment and do some negging. Maybe someone will overlook my social ineptness and date me. I wont hold my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships