Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,028,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
What the heck?

I am old. I was in love with my ex hubby for 10 years and another guy for almost that long. When I was younger, my relationships were shorter, but they still lasted multiple years.

I have no idea how to prove that what one person means by love is the same as another's experience. That is a deep philosophical and neurological question, IIUC. But your portrayal of me sounds odd, to say the least.

For me, love usually comes before sex, or else it's just a casual relationship. Why would I have a longterm couple relationship with someone I did not love?
You can call it being "in love" but that doesn't mean that's what it is/was. As timberline said, "in love" is usually rare. You may have a different definition.

I don't mean to offend, but your portrayal of yourself is...different. Have you noticed that other people here have said they don't understand you or think your pov is odd? (In several threads, not just this one.)

Nothing wrong with it, but you appear to be an outlier in many ways. I appreciate your interesting topics but I think if you're more aware of how confusing your ideas can be, youll express yourself better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So, the answer is yes. You did date.
But it was usually spontaneous. I can't, off the top of my head, remember ever planning ahead to do something, just the two of us, except working out at the gym.

It was more like I drop by his/her house in the afternoon to visit, because I am in the neighborhood (and because s/he is awesome) and we get to talking, and time passes, and we are hungry, so we walk down to the store and get some food and bring it back and cook it...

And after a while stopping by each other's house becomes a daily thing and then we move in together. Or go backpacking through south america, or whatever. We are in a relationship.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am trying to comprehend your point of view. So are you simply never asked out on dates? Did you ever date in high school or college? Even in group date situations couples will break off from the group to have alone time. How did you bond with your partner in previous relationships without alone time?
If you're living in the same house together, it's easy enough to create alone time by hanging out in your room with your SO. You can also have alone time if everyone has different work schedules, so sometimes the house is empty except for the couple. Or if you're hanging out at another house with a group, your SO invites you into his/her room. Or as posted earlier, you might break away from the group at dinner time to go check out a restaurant together, on the spur the moment. Is that a date, if there's no formal invitation, no advance arrangement penciled into the calendar? There's a grey area between "date" and "hanging out at the local pizza place".
And to answer your first questions, many of the people in these groups never dated in HS or college. The guys were too shy, the women never got asked, or couldn't get a reaction from the guys they might have been interested in. HS and even college dating are not the universal experiences the media would have us believe they are.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
You can call it being "in love" but that doesn't mean that's what it is/was. As timberline said, "in love" is usually rare. You may have a different definition.

I don't mean to offend, but your portrayal of yourself is...different. Have you noticed that other people here have said they don't understand you or think your pov is odd? (In several threads, not just this one.)

Nothing wrong with it, but you appear to be an outlier in many ways. I appreciate your interesting topics but I think if you're more aware of how confusing you're ideas can be you'll express yourself better.

Well yes, but only on this forum .

Not on other relationship forums I have hung out on, or in my RL locale.

That's why I started the thread, to find out if there is anyone else like me in this one particular way, here.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're living in the same house together, it's easy enough to create alone time by hanging out in your room with your SO. You can also have alone time if everyone has different work schedules, so sometimes the house is empty except for the couple. Or if you're hanging out at another house with a group, your SO invites you into his/her room.

Yes.

I have never had a relationship with a housemate (though I did come close, once) -- but I did meet my ex hubby when he came by to check out a room that was open in my house!

He just kept coming back to take one more look at the room, and have a nice chat each time, until I caught on .

Old 12-18-2013, 05:58 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,028,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Well yes, but only on this forum .

Not on other relationship forums I have hung out on, or in my RL locale.

That's why I started the thread, to find out if there is anyone else like me in this one particular way, here.
Can we arrange a field trip to your place? I want to see where you are coming from.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Yes, once again she's taken us down a wormhole.

You went on dates. You just want to think of it as something more exotic.

Good night.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
Quote:
Can we arrange a field trip to your place? I want to see where you are coming from.

With the large mixed gender houses it really sounds like it is almost a commune type situation. Generally those things don't happen anymore, even in the more hippy-ish areas of Vermont, the Pacific NW, Hawaii, etc. Maybe for a brief period where people are in their 20s. Saw some of it in the Bay area but is was purely out of economic necessity.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You went on dates. You just want to think of it as something more exotic.

I'm not so sure. One part of of a date is the planning of it, agreeing beforehand to meet on a certain day and time.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
Quote:
Berkeley/Oakland/San Francisco. Santa Cruz & Santa Barbara, CA. University District, Seattle. Portland, Salem and Eugene, Oregon. There were probably communal households/apartments in NYC (especially with those high rents, who could afford their own apt.?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships