Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:09 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,054,677 times

Advertisements

Is it the same thing as a cooperative? I thought they were different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 PM

102,381 posts, read 108,693,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I'm not sure what a "cooperative" is. I'm talking about when a bunch of friends rent a house together. They may have to advertise to fill an extra room with a stranger, but the core group of residents are friends.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:13 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,054,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure what a "cooperative" is. I'm talking about when a bunch of friends rent a house together.
I don't think that qualifies as a commune though. That's just a bunch of broke people rooming together.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,602,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you're living in the same house together, it's easy enough to create alone time by hanging out in your room with your SO. You can also have alone time if everyone has different work schedules, so sometimes the house is empty except for the couple. Or if you're hanging out at another house with a group, your SO invites you into his/her room. Or as posted earlier, you might break away from the group at dinner time to go check out a restaurant together, on the spur the moment. Is that a date, if there's no formal invitation, no advance arrangement penciled into the calendar? There's a grey area between "date" and "hanging out at the local pizza place".
And to answer your first questions, many of the people in these groups never dated in HS or college. The guys were too shy, the women never got asked, or couldn't get a reaction from the guys they might have been interested in. HS and even college dating are not the universal experiences the media would have us believe they are.
So basically this is how less desirable and/or socially awkward women and men get together.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,171,503 times
Quote:

Cooperatives have specific meanings in most places. Esp in places like NY. Or artistic areas.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I don't think that qualifies as a commune though. That's just a bunch of broke people rooming together.
They used to call it a commune. But maybe the terms have evolved by now.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So basically this is how less desirable and/or socially awkward women and men get together.

That was out of line. Lots of people prefer that way of relating as it is decidedly more organic.

I, personally, prefer a more formal structure. One system isn't better or for more desirable people.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
You could call it that. But according to our occasional Aussie posters, the group activity thing is a way of life there, and dating also doesn't seem to happen. 2 people in the group decide they're interested in each other, and at some point after feelings grow, they decide to go to the apt. of one of them for sex. Whether or not that involves "falling in love", I don't know. This group thing is how it works in much of Scandinavia, too, and generally involves pretty attractive people. Maybe conventional dating is gradually on the way out in developed countries??

But isn't something like this what the "Friends" show on TV was based on? Except the gang lived in a couple of separate apartments, or something?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,602,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That was out of line. Lots of people prefer that way of relating as it is decidedly more organic.

I, personally, prefer a more formal structure. One system isn't better or for more desirable people.
How was that out of line? I basically just restated what Ruth said about people who were not socially confident being more comfortable with getting together in that manner.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
How was that out of line? I basically just restated what Ruth said about people who were not socially confident being more comfortable with getting together in that manner.

You're forgetting about the "less desirable" part of your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships