Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:22 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,809,923 times

Advertisements

So, I find myself in an interesting point in my life which I did not really expect to be. I was in a relationship for two and a half years that ended earlier this year for a plethora of reasons. When I met my ex I had imagined that this was the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with but it did not work out that way unfortunately despite best efforts to save the relationship... i'm sure those of you who have lost a relationship can understand

So, now I find myself age 40 having to start all over again. I've always wanted to have kids and a family but it just does not seem to be panning out for me as I am not finding the right person. It takes me a long time to find that person that I initially have terrific chemistry and compatibility with but later on I discover some ridiculously unreasonable compromise that I just can´t make which results in the demise of the relationship. Anyone else find themselves in this situation?

Somehow I feel single, never married and 40 has some kind of stigma and people seem to be really wary if you are not in the "divorced, has kids, looking for a 2nd marriage" crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 02:26 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,852,666 times
Are you female or male?

Old 12-24-2014, 02:28 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,737,185 times
I'm not 40....never been married....so I can't really say I understand your situation.

But I will say, you really need to ignore the so called stigma/stereotypes people try to place on you. I don't see anything wrong with your situation except things aren't working out the way you would like them to. It's life...it happens a lot. Doesn't mean there is a problem with you. You are human and everyone has their own path and come into things in their own time.

Just live life. It's always good to have a plan but if it doesn't work out, just go with it and move on. No need to mull over what you don't have. Don't be so sad, and think of it like this: If people think something is wrong with you because you are over 40 and have never been married, would really want to be with someone who would judge you over something so trivial?

Old 12-24-2014, 02:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
40 is just the beginning of the fun. Well, not the beginning, but there is no slowing down. I see that for my peer male and female friends, though the women seem to have more socializing going on, by a little. Its great. Don't sweat it. (I'm 43/male, BTW)

Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
I was suddenly single after a 5-year long relationship at 35. I had NO idea what to expect starting over again at that point. Turns out, it was great. 2.5 years later, I'm married. My husband is someone like me, who, at 40 himself when we met, had never been married before. I, too, always hoped to have a family, as did my husband. We don't know if it will happen biologically or not, but we know it will happen.

Life unfolds as it will.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:46 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
If you're a female I don't think guys care if you've never been married and it's certainly easier if you don't have kids. If you're a guy, maybe women are a bit more wary but if they make snap decisions on something like that then they obviously aren't for you anyway.

I was divorced at age 35 and felt like my best years were behind me and that I'd been "cheated" but that attitude gets you nowhere. At least you're not recovering from a 13 year relationship! So re-evaluate what you're looking for and examine your own issues....good luck - life isn't over!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:52 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,809,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Are you female or male?
I'm male..

Old 12-24-2014, 03:05 PM

102,250 posts, read 108,166,150 times
I don't know why people make such a big deal out of 40. OP, the people I know who feel there's a stigma, or that 40 is some kind of milestone that means anything (usually something negative) are doing that to themselves, no one is putting that on them. We can be our own worst enemy. 40 is often the beginning of the best part of your life.

You still have plenty of time. For all you know, you could be married by 45, or sooner. So don't give yourself a hard time. Just make a New Year's resolution to socialize, get involved in the community through volunteering, hobbies, etc., circulate, and be friendly.

Sorry your relationship didn't work out. Many of us know exactly what you mean when you say it's hard to find someone you click with, and further--who turns out to be easygoing and compatible. But you never know. As one author said, "Love might be just around the corner. All you have to do is get to that corner." Good luck. Stay positive! Think creatively. There's ALWAYS hope.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:09 PM

783 posts, read 851,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So, I find myself in an interesting point in my life which I did not really expect to be. I was in a relationship for two and a half years that ended earlier this year for a plethora of reasons. When I met my ex I had imagined that this was the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with but it did not work out that way unfortunately despite best efforts to save the relationship... i'm sure those of you who have lost a relationship can understand

So, now I find myself age 40 having to start all over again. I've always wanted to have kids and a family but it just does not seem to be panning out for me as I am not finding the right person. It takes me a long time to find that person that I initially have terrific chemistry and compatibility with but later on I discover some ridiculously unreasonable compromise that I just can´t make which results in the demise of the relationship. Anyone else find themselves in this situation?

Somehow I feel single, never married and 40 has some kind of stigma and people seem to be really wary if you are not in the "divorced, has kids, looking for a 2nd marriage" crowd.
A lot of it depends if you are male or female. A 40s male will have a lot easier time then a 40s female. Just like a 20s female has a lot easier time dating then a 20s male.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:31 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,873,248 times
I was never one much into dating...but I was 48 when I met and married my wife. And I had been single for the most part...17 years before meeting her. So miracles do happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships