Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:47 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Women and men can never be, "just friends" I'be broken it down numerous times scientifically, but apparently nobody cares.

NEXT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBannedStand View Post
This. In opposite sex platonic friendships, there is always, always, ALWAYS sexual attraction going one direction or the other. Sometimes both directions.
Wrong.

Those girls were rude. I hope he told them to mind their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:53 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
"Meeting his judgmental female friends. "
This would apply to many of my female friends. Many just seem bound and determined to decide who is right for you and who isn't. I already have a mom and sisters, I don't need friends sticking their noses into who I am dating

Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLili84 View Post
Has anyone ever had an issue with meeting the pals of the man or woman you're currently dating?

I just recently met two female friends of my current boo and I have to say...I was very annoyed with them. One of them hardly talked to me at all yet she still went up to my guy asking "why her? whats so special about her? I mean, you can't marry this girl, she practically looks like your sister!" The second girl was really sweet but I felt like she kept testing me to see how much I liked him and to see how "smart" or "cultured" I was with certain topics etc. I was super sweet to her yet she still felt the need to tell my guy "ehh, she seems a little hesitant and uncomfortable around me".
Ew. This is creepy, jerk-y behavior. At least one of them (guess which one) is an "ex" of his, most likely. Are you sure they're no longer involved? This is not normal. Red flag. Or yellow flag, at least.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM

112 posts, read 118,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Wrong.

Those girls were rude. I hope he told them to mind their own business.
What you said in no way refutes what I said. Sorry.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:16 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
This. In opposite sex platonic friendships, there is always, always, ALWAYS sexual attraction going one direction or the other. Sometimes both directions.
Wrong again, my friend. I have a couple brothers from another mother and there is zero discussion of sex. We've all agreed any discussion of it would seem like incest. I also know and talk to their girlfriends and wives and have tremendous respect for them and so do they. There's no hidden agenda in either direction. Just a lot of laughter and shared interest discussions.

It does take a certain level of maturity to have friends of the opposite sex. Not everyone has sex on the brain for everyone they know.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:24 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
What did your boyfriend say to the one who pulled him aside & talked about you behind your back? What did he say to the one who spoke of you to your face? See where I'm going here? The problem isn't them; it's him. His women friends will say all kinds of smack about you (although saying it to your face like that is incredibly rude). It's how your boyfriend deals with it that is the issue.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Disagree. I've been friends with my male bff for more than 10 years and there has NEVER been sexual attraction between us. We've had plenty of opportunities but we think of each other as siblings and nothing more. He and my bf get along great, and I adore his girlfriend..so that goes well

Regardless, my bf's female friends really like me and we get along incredibly well. Lucky us

Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
What did your boyfriend say to the one who pulled him aside & talked about you behind your back? What did he say to the one who spoke of you to your face? See where I'm going here? The problem isn't them; it's him. His women friends will say all kinds of smack about you (although saying it to your face like that is incredibly rude). It's how your boyfriend deals with it that is the issue.
This struck me as well. Why would he tell her all the nasty things they said about her behind her back unless he wanted to get some reaction out of her and make himself seem more superior to her. Like, "See, I'm worthy of your extreme efforts because this is what other women think of me and of you."

Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Wrong again, my friend. I have a couple brothers from another mother and there is zero discussion of sex. I also know their and talk to their girlfriends and wives and have tremendous respect for them and so do they. There's no hidden agenda in either direction. Just a lot of laughter and shared interest discussions.

It does take a certain level of maturity to have friends of the opposite sex.
Exactly. I have a lot of male friends, and almost all the women I am friends with also have a lot of male friends. I'm friends with their wives and girlfriends as well, but I knew the husbands/boyfriends first. When I was home last week, my group consisted of three men and three women. Two of the men and one of the women were married to spouses who weren't able to attend, and the rest of us were single. Yet - gasp! - there were no illicit romances or even flirtation going on, even after much alcohol had been consumed.

I think there's something sad and stunted about people who go through life classifying the opposite gender as mere sex objects who have no inherent worth beyond that. Because isn't that what you're really doing when you say meaningful friendships with the opposite sex are impossible outside of romance or family?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLili84 View Post
Has anyone ever had an issue with meeting the pals of the man or woman you're currently dating?

I just recently met two female friends of my current boo and I have to say...I was very annoyed with them. One of them hardly talked to me at all yet she still went up to my guy asking "why her? whats so special about her? I mean, you can't marry this girl, she practically looks like your sister!" The second girl was really sweet but I felt like she kept testing me to see how much I liked him and to see how "smart" or "cultured" I was with certain topics etc. I was super sweet to her yet she still felt the need to tell my guy "ehh, she seems a little hesitant and uncomfortable around me".

I guess I get it, but still, I can't tell if they're hating or genuinely care for his happiness. I just hate the feeling of constantly being judged or picked apart by people who my man considers to be good friends of his.

Anyone have similar stories?

If you are dating him and not his friends what do you care how they think of you?
Move on and don't give them another bit of energy or wasted time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships