Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See the thread title.
Yes, always or generally 12 20.69%
Sometimes/It depends 26 44.83%
No, always or generally 20 34.48%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times

Advertisements

Religion has definitely driven me away from some girls, but then again I've been with girls that were religious but not intruding as well...could go either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I think that one of the partners in such marriages has historically converted before or during this marriage, though.

Obviously if one is willing to date someone of a different religion than himself/herself but wants this other individual to convert at some point later on (if the two of them will not have already broken up by that point in time), then such an individual should vote "No" in this poll here.
My neighbors down the street are Jewish/Catholic and neither converted and they celebrate all holidays.

In terms of celebrities I know that Bob Dylan was Jewish and his first wife he had his children with wasn't and no one converted. They celebrated all holidays. He did convert on his own however after their marriage for awhile. I'm not sure what he is now.

My mother was Catholic and my father was nothing. She went to church every Sunday and he stayed home and watched television.

I no longer subscribe to any organized faith and doubt I would 'convert' to one in the future for someone.
I say whatever works for people.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:40 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
I am willing to date someone of nearly any religion, as long as they're not a fundamentalist or extremist. In other words, I won't date anyone who believes their religion is the only true path, or who sees it as their duty to "save" others by attempting to convert them. Believe what you want to believe, but acknowledge that your beliefs are yours, and not everyone's.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,418,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
As for me, generally Yes (and for the record, I myself am an agnostic who admires certain aspects of the Jewish faith/religion and/or culture). If this woman's (I am only interested in dating women, at least for now) views are not too nutty, then I don't particularly care that much what religion she is just as long as she is not a Scientologist or something like that and just as long as she does not try/attempt to force her religious beliefs on me, on our future children, and/or on any other family members of mine.
I would. I'm not particularly religious. In fact, I dislike religion, but am willing to be open and learn from other people's perspectives so long as my partner isn't religious either.

I'd prefer someone who grew up and was taught religion and then began to reject it, because we'd more likely be on the same page and experience, and similar cultural upbringings.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:20 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,375,064 times
No, because I'm non-religious, and that's a significant feature of my outlook/worldview.
I would want to be with a guy who shares my general perspective in this domain.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I am willing to date someone of nearly any religion, as long as they're not a fundamentalist or extremist. In other words, I won't date anyone who believes their religion is the only true path, or who sees it as their duty to "save" others by attempting to convert them. Believe what you want to believe, but acknowledge that your beliefs are yours, and not everyone's.
Oh, and I almost forgot: I can't be with anyone who has any religious hangups about sex that prevent them from fully expressing and enjoying their sexuality. That's a complete turn-off and dealbreaker for me.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
The way we view faith and what it means in our lives needs to be compatible, but what we specifically believe does not need to be identical.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,799,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
My neighbors down the street are Jewish/Catholic and neither converted and they celebrate all holidays.

In terms of celebrities I know that Bob Dylan was Jewish and his first wife he had his children with wasn't and no one converted. They celebrated all holidays. He did convert on his own however after their marriage for awhile. I'm not sure what he is now.

My mother was Catholic and my father was nothing. She went to church every Sunday and he stayed home and watched television.

I no longer subscribe to any organized faith and doubt I would 'convert' to one in the future for someone.
I say whatever works for people.
You are talking about the modern era, though. I was talking for, say, the pre-World War I era, when inter-religious relationships and marriages often eventually resulted in the conversion of one of the individuals in this couple.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,536 times
I could never date a hardcore Christian. We would kill each other. I loathe religion in general but Protestant Christianity is a deal breaker.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post

You make it sound like you have LOTS of experience (lol)
Those wagons have circled more than once.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships