Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See the thread title.
Yes, always or generally 12 20.69%
Sometimes/It depends 26 44.83%
No, always or generally 20 34.48%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

I don't know of any religion that is centered around a white guy in a robe, come to think of it...

Except maybe those people who consider Star Wars their religion. Or maybe The Big Lebowski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,247,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know of any religion that is centered around a white guy in a robe, come to think of it...

Except maybe those people who consider Star Wars their religion. Or maybe The Big Lebowski.
Catholicism.

The kink varies, for others its a Tabernacle or Xenu.

Either way clutching a holy book doesn't automatically make you a good person.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
It appears that our opinions of what Christianity in particular is centered around differ. That's cool.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Quote:
Not those hacks like Gregor Mendel. Got it.
Great. Going back to the 1800's. Perhaps if he was born later he would have been part of the close to 95% of top scientists being atheist. You could pull someone out from that field today and I would dismiss his/her views. There is still that 5 - 7%.

Quote:
I enjoy discourse with people intelligent enough to acknowledge that being a person of faith doesn't have much, if anything, to do with an "invisable [sic] man," myself.
As mentioned I am an ex Catholic and as far as they go you are wrong.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Catholicism.

The kink varies, for others its a Tabernacle or Xenu.

Either way clutching a holy book doesn't automatically make you a good person.
Oh my gosh, don't even get me started.

Not saying they are all like that but in my 40 years as living as an adult they are the worst.

I'd much rather hook up with an atheist, or at least someone who would keep god belief to herself. I think it is possible for a couple to succeed as long as the subject doesn't come up. That goes for different faiths as well. However I think that may be kind of hard to do.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'm an atheist/agnostic and the girl I'm currently dating is a pretty devout Christian. Most of the time it's no big deal, but occasionally this extreme difference becomes very apparent. I have no idea how long the relationship will last, but I can see it eventually ending over this. It's going well enough so far, but it's a seriously huge difference to overcome.
I couldn't do it. It may work for others but it wouldn't work for me.
I'd rather be lonely.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Would you be willing to date someone of a different religion than you are?
Yes. But only because my answer to any "Would you be willing to date a person who is-isnot X" is always "yes". I base my decision to form relationships with people based on their entire package. Physical and mental. I never mediate on any one single attribute like what religion they are - or are not.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:57 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm talking top scientists:

"Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality)"

Nature, "Leading scientists still reject God"* July 23, 1998

Furthermore, I'm not the only one on this board or even on this thread that dismisses any idea of a god.
This is due to a lack of evidence.

I'd like a partner intelligent enough to have an open mind to recognize that no invisable man is in control of anything.
All I am saying is that all religion is NOT anti-science. Including Catholicism. So what if 58% have a personal disbelief? Good for them. It doesn't automatically make the others who aren't "unintelligent" and "anti-science"does it... and it doesn't make people who aren't even scientists "anti-science" either. And if you take a minute to stop hating and insulting people who have differing opinions from you and look at that list, you will see modern day scientists on that list. Here I will help you:

• Gerhard Ertl (1936– ) – German physicist who won the 2007 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his studies of chemical processes on solid surface.
  • Riccardo Giacconi (1913– ) – Nobel Prize-winning astrophysicist who laid the foundations of X-ray astronomy.
  • Paula González (1932–present) – Roman Catholic sister and professor of biology
  • Brian Kobilka (1955– ) – American Nobel Prize winning professor who teaches at Stanford University School of Medicine.
  • Craig Mello (1960– ) – American biologist who was awarded the 2006 Nobel Prize, with Andrew Fire, for the discovery of RNA interference.
  • Kenneth R. Miller (1948–present) – American cell biologist and molecular biologist who teaches at Brown University.[32]
  • Charles W. Misner (1932–present) – American cosmologist dedicated to the study of general relativity
  • Mario J. Molina (1943–present) - Mexican chemist and one of the precursors to the discovery of the Antarctic ozone hole (1995 Nobel Prize in Chemistry).
  • John Polanyi (1929– ) – Canadian chemist who won the 1986 Nobel Prize for his research in chemical kinetics.[45]
  • Eric F. Wieschaus (1947– ) – He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
  • Antonino Zichichi (1929– ) – Italian nuclear physicist, former President of the Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare[50]
And again that list is just famous Catholic scientists. That doesn't include Hindu scientists, Buddhist scientists, Jewish scientists, Muslim scientists, or other Christian denominations. And it's JUST scientists... not doctors, dentists, teachers, or other highly educated people who I dare say are intelligent. Look, like I said, date who you want--that's your choice. But leave the insults out of it. There are intelligent people who are religious... atheism doesn't hold a monopoly on it.

Last edited by jillabean; 01-08-2014 at 05:30 AM..

Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Your definition of "hatred/bigotry" is warped at best.

It's called an alternative view, something in this country that is allowed.

Obviously freedom of speech is appalling to you.
I'm glad we have it.

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics. Bigotry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You called people who believe in religion unintelligent. I would concur that it's subtle bigotry and I wouldn't go as far as to say you, personally are a bigot. But what you stated still fits the definition. In that statement you treated people with contempt and intolerance based on their religion. You could have just said, "I only date other atheists" but instead you chose to insult others.

Freedom of speech is for the government... the government can make no law that inhibits freedom of speech. And there are limits. It has nothing to do with private individuals who aren't willing to let themselves be insulted without calling you out on it.

Last edited by jillabean; 01-08-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
The problem is if religion IS important to them, even if it's not to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships