Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: See the thread title.
Yes, always or generally 12 20.69%
Sometimes/It depends 26 44.83%
No, always or generally 20 34.48%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times

Advertisements

I have dated religious folk in the past, but they were never very serious about it. I even dated a Muslim but she was so liberal about her faith she was practically secular (she drank alchohol...lol). I think if I had a choice I would prefer an atheist or an agnostic but I am not closed to the idea of dating people of faith as long as the inevitable debates were constructive and not mean-spirited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I could never date a hardcore Christian. We would kill each other. I loathe religion in general but Protestant Christianity is a deal breaker.
There are a LOT of different stripes of Protestant Christianity, but some people do think that "protestant" = conservative/bible-banging/evangelical. Not the case, though.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
1. Many people these days are at least nominally religious.

2. Yes, certainly. Since I was born in Israel (Yes, I am of partial Jewish ancestry/descent) and lived there for eight years, I got acquainted with certain aspects of Judaism when I was younger. Of course, it would probably be nice for me to get more in touch with my Jewish roots in certain ways.

If you don't mind me asking, are you yourself Jewish (by religion and/or by ethnicity)? I know that Ruth is originally a Jewish name (heck, I myself have a Jewish great-aunt who currently lives in Israel and who is named Ruth).

3. Agreed.

What exactly would you consider a cult? Scientology? What else?
No, not Jewish. Ruth isn't my real name. I'm terrible at picking internet handles, lol! I thought this one would be handy for the Politics forum, but it doesn't really work on the other forums.

Well, the definition of a cult is (speaking off-the-cuff) a spiritual tradition or community run by a charismatic leader who manipulates those in his charge, controls sources of info they're "allowed" to have exposure to, doesn't tolerate independent opinion and analysis in his group, and who tends to separate followers from their families at least psychologically, if not physically. Some sects of Buddhism are like that, have been like that. There's all kinds of strange stuff out there. Hare Krishna and other Hindu movements have fit the bill.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-06-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I wouldn't care what religion they were as long as they weren't a fanatic and try to convert me away from my hedonistic ways.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times
I would date but not marry somebody of a different faith. I would maybe marry a Jewish woman since Judaism is the closest to Christianity. But besides that, then no.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,807,257 times
I am religious (practicing Catholic, go to church every week--although to fair, I am more of a "love thy neighbor," "be good and kind," "turn the other cheek," "forgive," "God is love," kind of Christian than a fire and brimstone "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" "preach and convert others" kind of Christian). I think of my religion as my own moral and spiritual compass--I have no interest in imposing it on others especially since I know that I myself am not really a shining example of Christian perfection.

The man I am dating is agnostic I think... or nothing. It really isn't an issue and we haven't really talked about it. The only time it comes up is when I am staying at his place and go to Church for an hour on Sunday (or Saturday vigil). I just say, "I'm going to Church, see you in an hour" and I think he takes a nap in his recliner and waits for me

That said, since I am a live and let live kind of religious person. I would have a hard time dating a fundamentalist of any flavor--and that includes the anti-religious people too that feel the need to "unconvert" others (for lack of a better word).

* By the way, I should add.. just because a person is practicing their religion doesn't make them automatically a Bible thumping, evangelical, sexually repressed, lunatic who still thinks it's the 1950s. Just sayin'. Not only am I an example of it, but considering most of the country considers themselves religious (83% consider themselves Christian) and most people aren't going around doing those things, should tell you something. http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90356

Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
I've dated men who were other religions.....
Even was tempted to convert to Scientology, lol
I think my philosophy actually is I wouldn't date anybody who's heavy on religion- although I am open minded enough to
learn their beliefs.
That being said, it's no fun to get preached to,
& I probably know more about Faith than they do anyways.....

Old 01-07-2014, 01:55 PM

253 posts, read 655,318 times
Ideally, yes, I'd prefer to date someone who is atheistic like me. Realistically tho, there just aren't that many atheist folks out there (in the US, that is.) Most that even lean close enough are agnostic, which I will actually classify as deists. Most people like to leave that extra little room to backtrack in case they are wrong, and might end up in their hell. Haha.

Once again, one of those, if they don't shove it down your throat, life is good. My ex-husband was agnostic, but he shoved the possibility of the existence of a higher god, down my throat repeatedly, insisting that I agree that there is no way to prove one doesn't exist. That instantly became a taboo topic after that chat. My current boyfriend is "agnostic", and while we disagree on the topic, he respects that we both have different views. So it does depend on the person.

I do take offense that so many lump atheists and agnostics together. They are in no way alike.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:24 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Religion and god belief is a silly superstition and very anti-science.

I like to hang with those who share that view. I'm ex-Catholic so I have seen both sides.

A woman that goes to church would be a very bad match for me.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
I guess nobody will ever date me as I'm a dark side religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships