Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times

Advertisements

There is no HPV test available for asymptomatic males.

What specific tests did you ask your doctor for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 AM

113 posts, read 152,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I got tested a year and a half ago and I was clean (and I haven't had sex with anyone else since then).

No real HPV test for men and the standard STD screens do not cover HSV 1 or 2. They are specialized blood tests and many doctors won't even do them.

HPV in the population of people that became active post vaccine is super common. It's really the norm.

HSV is far more common than thought and most people never had an outbreak and they never ever know they have it.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:05 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Now, HSV-1 is a little more of a concern from my personal perspective. I am at a genetic risk for diabetes, and any disease that can cause an open sore is something I don't want to contract. My mother deals with all kinds of issues from skin/wound infections on her hands and feet due to her type 2 diabetes, despite being very careful. I can't even imagine dealing with something like that in the genital area.
HSV-1 isn't genital. HSV-2 is genital.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
HSV-1 isn't genital. HSV-2 is genital.
Is it true you can have HSV1 in your genitals? - Genital Herpes

Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well since 90% of adults have HSV-1 it will be kinda hard to avoid unless it's two virgins going at it. Guess people will just have to take precautions.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, more than half the adults in America have HSV-1. It's generally associated with cold sores.

I would not want HPV, although I was under the impression that it is temporary.

Honestly? I would be concerned that she is a hypochondriac or attention wh*re. I am detecting some red flags that don't involve STDs.

Of course, I could be wrong.
i agree with this. you could easily have HSV-1, too. a standard std test won't test for that unless you have an open sore. i don't know much about hpv but some strains go away on their own and i was under the impression that it was more harmful to females.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Well since 90% of adults have HSV-1 it will be kinda hard to avoid unless it's two virgins going at it. Guess people will just have to take precautions.
If you don't have a cold sore in your mouth, you are unlikely to transmit HSV-1. So have the courtesy not to go down on someone in those moments.

This isn't rocket science. Nor is "the Google."

EDIT: One does not need to have sores with HSV-2 for it to be transmitted. I am not sure what the case is with genital HSV-1.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Jeez. I'm not all that old-fashioned, but c'mon. Look at it this way. She told you up front. Right off the bat, you're dealing with an honest woman.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM

113 posts, read 152,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Jeez. I'm not all that old-fashioned, but c'mon. Look at it this way. She told you up front. Right off the bat, you're dealing with an honest woman.

Absolutely true. She was honest, and she knew, which means she takes care of her health and checks it. Most people don't know.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Hey all,

I met this woman on an online dating website. We were hitting it off really well since about a week ago. We met in person last weekend to watch a movie together. I had a great time and really enjoyed hanging out with her. I felt comfortable with her and felt a connection between us. So things were going really well until she finally told me last night that she has 2 STD's: HSV-1 and HPV. I'm clean and afraid of the possibility of being contracted with either of these STD's if we end up going further with things. I'm also, as bad as it sounds, sort of grossed out by it and don't know how to handle this. I was reading up on these diseases and I just can't get a clear answer from the Internet about what the chances are of contracting either of these diseases? It's just all over the map basically. I have a feeling that maybe I'm being too judgemental and cruel about this and then another side of me is saying to not take this any further. I don't know what to do...

Be glad she is honest about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships