Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,895 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I met this woman on an online dating website. We were hitting it off really well since about a week ago. We met in person last weekend to watch a movie together. I had a great time and really enjoyed hanging out with her. I felt comfortable with her and felt a connection between us. So things were going really well until she finally told me last night that she has 2 STD's: HSV-1 and HPV. I'm clean and afraid of the possibility of being contracted with either of these STD's if we end up going further with things. I'm also, as bad as it sounds, sort of grossed out by it and don't know how to handle this. I was reading up on these diseases and I just can't get a clear answer from the Internet about what the chances are of contracting either of these diseases? It's just all over the map basically. I have a feeling that maybe I'm being too judgemental and cruel about this and then another side of me is saying to not take this any further. I don't know what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 PM

887 posts, read 1,100,725 times
Then take it slow! You don't have to bang every girl you meet right off the bat!!! Good for her for being so forth coming with this information!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,837 times
I've been in this position before, and it sucks. Sucks even worse for her, because she's actually being honest about it, unlike many others who either don't know or aren't up front about it.

I don't know what your long term intentions were with this woman (casual dating, ONS, LTR, etc), but if things progressed to the point where you were having sex regularly, you're obviously at a very high risk. I'll take the cop-out answer and say "we'll need more info".

Unfortunately, unless you could accept living with those potential STD's, you'll have to break it off. It's a terrible situation to be in, for both of you.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Well, more than half the adults in America have HSV-1. It's generally associated with cold sores.

I would not want HPV, although I was under the impression that it is temporary.

Honestly? I would be concerned that she is a hypochondriac or attention wh*re. I am detecting some red flags that don't involve STDs.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I've been in this position before, and it sucks. Sucks even worse for her, because she's actually being honest about it, unlike many others who either don't know or aren't up front about it.

I don't know what your long term intentions were with this woman (casual dating, ONS, LTR, etc), but if things progressed to the point where you were having sex regularly, you're obviously at a very high risk. I'll take the cop-out answer and say "we'll need more info".

Unfortunately, unless you could accept living with those potential STD's, you'll have to break it off. It's a terrible situation to be in, for both of you.
I am thankful that she was honest about it and I'm glad she brought it up. I was intending on being in a LTR with her basically. I can't accept the idea that I could potentially get either of these STD's myself but ... how high of a risk is it really if I'm having sex regularly? 5% each year? 10%? Maybe there's just no way to put a percentage on it?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,089 times
The majority of the population already has HSV 1 and/or HPV, and if you are older than 30, you probably do to. It wouldn't hurt to test yourself before you jump to any conclusions though.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexfromdr View Post
The majority of the population already has HSV 1 and/or HPV, and if you are older than 30, you probably do to. It wouldn't hurt to test yourself before you jump to any conclusions though.
I got tested a year and a half ago and I was clean (and I haven't had sex with anyone else since then).

Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,080,437 times
What strain of HPV does she have? There are a number of different strains and not all produce warts so you really don't know if you carry the virus or not just because you don't have warts.

There isn't a test for HPV for men, as far as I know. You can be tested for STD's and get a "clean" bill of health, even if you have HPV in your system.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 7,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I got tested a year and a half ago and I was clean (and I haven't had sex with anyone else since then).
Talk to a doctor about it is the best thing I can say, but if you want to stay clean obviously you'd just need to abstain until you know your partner is clean.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,279,481 times
That really stinks but its really cool that she told you upfront... I mean thats AWESOME she told you!!

I think I would take this case to a doctor and discuss options, No one here can give you that advice except a doctor. If youre serious you both will go see a doctor together...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships