Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times

Advertisements

I don't mind a cute looking geeky girl, sometimes they are very hot. Although the look is so one and done. The personality is key. If she looks like a geek but has the personality of a chill surfer chick I'm all over it. If she looks like a geek and has a geeky personality all bets are off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I don't mind a cute looking geeky girl, sometimes they are very hot. Although the look is so one and done. The personality is key. If she looks like a geek but has the personality of a chill surfer chick I'm all over it. If she looks like a geek and has a geeky personality all bets are off.
What's a "geeky personality"?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Well, having been a graduate student in STEM I know this first hand. A geeky personality is one that does not know how to shut off the switch (as I call it). They have to be punctual about every little detail all the time 24/7. It is a great attribute to know when to calm the fawk down and turn that switch off to chill mode. Many geeks (in my experience) lack this attribute. And thus they become annoying (to me anyways). I have these conversations with my STEM buddies a lot, even owners of some firms. I remember a VP of one company I use to do some contract work with, he asked me if I knew a girl that had just finished her MS degree from the same department I was in. I said I knew her and that she is a super annoying person that does not shut up. Well, he ended up hiring her (which is why he had asked if I knew her), not two months later he tells me he had to fire her and that I was right.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Well, having been a graduate student in STEM I know this first hand. A geeky personality is one that does not know how to shut off the switch (as I call it). They have to be punctual about every little detail all the time 24/7. It is a great attribute to know when to calm the fawk down and turn that switch off to chill mode. Many geeks (in my experience) lack this attribute. And thus they become annoying (to me anyways). I have these conversations with my STEM buddies a lot, even owners of some firms. I remember a VP of one company I use to do some contract work with, he asked me if I knew a girl that had just finished her MS degree from the same department I was in. I said I knew her and that she is a super annoying person that does not shut up. Well, he ended up hiring her (which is why he had asked if I knew her), not two months later he tells me he had to fire her and that I was right.
So, these traditionally geeky women talk a lot or talk a lot about their profession?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM
MJ7

Quote:
So, these traditionally geeky women talk a lot or talk a lot about their profession?
As I have said, they are punctual about every little detail, about everything under the sun. They are very smart, but do you have to care about every little thing that happens under the sun, or have an opinion about every thing that happens under the sun (hell even in the sun)?

It is super annoying, and when in grad school and undergrad I flocked far far away from these types. I have a few friends that are PhD candidates right now and they are semi still like this and I can only be around them for so long before I want to so say "chill the **** out".

Old 01-18-2014, 08:36 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,468 times
Quote:
Tough to say. I have many friends who are geeks and even have geek related businesses and they often get in interesting discussions on FB explaining the differences between being a GEEK and being a NERD. Apparently they are as different as a Sunni Muslim is different than a Jeohovas Witness.

Geeky girls are desirable, and nerdy girls are not it seems. But there may be some overlap between the two even though there are stark differences.

Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Stan Lee, Olivia Munn, Castle from the tv show Castle, and the dude to runs the comic book store in the Simpsons are GEEKS.

Spaz from the Bill Murray movie "Meatballs", Steve Urkle, Carlton from the Fresh Prince, Napoleon Dynamite, Millhouse from the Simpsons, and Screech from Saved By the Bell are NERDS.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Awesome image displaying the differences between geeks and nerds:

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 AM
MJ7

Quote:
LOL, so a geek is a hipster?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3235 View Post
Anyone out there? I need to just roll over and go to bed, but I can't deny this bothers me. I can never find a guy that likes me as I am. They think in trying to impress them but it is the real me. I'm kinda geeky in my interests. My interests, NOT in my appearance. People get this picture of Steve Urkel and Elmira in their head. Um no. Guys I meet expect me to be some scandal loving, hood book reading , oprah worshipping, B.E.T loving chick and I'm just not. Just don't care about beyonce like that. Now I can talk all day about what is next for kit kat updates and what the NSA has up their sleeve and if AMD processors will be around 5 years from now. Now your talking my language. :-)

Mod cut: Leave race out of it, please.
Your attractiveness is based on your looks.

Being geeky might be a plus, but it is not a negative.

You think men PREFER women who shop all day, and sit around talking about chihuahuas, pastry cafes, and Real Housewives of Miami? Why on Earth would you think that?

Men like those women because they look good. If you are intelligent and down to Earth, it's more attractive than the above.

So, basically your looks decide. A desirable man with a lot of options might pick you or they might pick a posh girl, a sporty chick, or whichever Spice Girl. But that's just preference once the you've met the looks threshold. You are just as likely to win as those girls.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Geeky is in these days and has been for a long time due to the Tech explosion.

If you polled 100 men and asked whether they would prefer to date a software engineer at Yahoo (who BTW has a notable attractive one), or a woman who worked as Fashion Designer for DKNY, most men would pick a), given the looks were the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships