Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,295 times

Advertisements

I texted a guy, that used to live in TN with me, when I was living there over a year ago. I had just texted him to say hello, because I had a dream about him the other night, and it was completely random but I decided to see how he was doing. He reacted very negatively to my hello and then proceeded to tell me that he was surprised to hear from me and that he had basically cut me off because I didn't respond to a text of his, months ago...

Here's the semi-weird thing, he claimed that he had sent me a text telling me that he had missed me and wanted to see me and I didn't respond. He wouldn't have really been AS upset if we didn't both have an i-phone and as I'm sure some of you know, if both people have an i-phone you can tell when someone has wrote you a message or when someone is in the process of writing you back. He feels that since in the past, when he would send me messages and I would respond, or he would see that I was in the process of responding that it meant that I ALWAYS 100% got his text messages. So when I didn't respond to this one, he KNEW I had gotten it, and took my non-response as not interested so he "cut me off", deleted my number and moved on with his life.

I found his reaction very drastic but was w/e about it. It got me thinking though, do people actually get upset if they send a heart-felt text(why not just call lol) and KNOW that the person got it, and yet the person did not respond? Would this cause you to just stop talking to the person... Why not sometimes give them the benefit of the doubt--like maybe for whatever reason they didn't get the message(even if you both have i-phones)? I know that texting is a big thing now, and people don't like getting ignored. Heck, I don't either. But I don't even know if I got this guy's text, since it was so long ago, and maybe I got it and meant to respond but didn't, or maybe I never got it..

I just want to know if this extreme attitude toward texting common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Text messages don't always get where they're supposed to go. I knew someone who I used to text with on an occasional basis, and one day, some other person was answering the texts that were sent to her. Somehow, her text messages were being misdirected to other people on occasion. Consequently, if someone doesn't answer a text, I don't take it too seriously. Perhaps they never got it.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Get RID of the faulty I JUNK phone, and simply call him and have a REAL conversation!!
When a topic is important to BOTH of you, WHY resort to texting?? Did it occur to you that more can be accomplished by using your VOICE?? Emotions and feelings can't be felt through a damn text!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I texted a guy, that used to live in TN with me, when I was living there over a year ago. I had just texted him to say hello, because I had a dream about him the other night, and it was completely random but I decided to see how he was doing. He reacted very negatively to my hello and then proceeded to tell me that he was surprised to hear from me and that he had basically cut me off because I didn't respond to a text of his, months ago...

Here's the semi-weird thing, he claimed that he had sent me a text telling me that he had missed me and wanted to see me and I didn't respond. He wouldn't have really been AS upset if we didn't both have an i-phone and as I'm sure some of you know, if both people have an i-phone you can tell when someone has wrote you a message or when someone is in the process of writing you back. He feels that since in the past, when he would send me messages and I would respond, or he would see that I was in the process of responding that it meant that I ALWAYS 100% got his text messages. So when I didn't respond to this one, he KNEW I had gotten it, and took my non-response as not interested so he "cut me off", deleted my number and moved on with his life.

I found his reaction very drastic but was w/e about it. It got me thinking though, do people actually get upset if they send a heart-felt text(why not just call lol) and KNOW that the person got it, and yet the person did not respond? Would this cause you to just stop talking to the person... Why not sometimes give them the benefit of the doubt--like maybe for whatever reason they didn't get the message(even if you both have i-phones)? I know that texting is a big thing now, and people don't like getting ignored. Heck, I don't either. But I don't even know if I got this guy's text, since it was so long ago, and maybe I got it and meant to respond but didn't, or maybe I never got it..

I just want to know if this extreme attitude toward texting common?

I don't find it drastic. If someone ignores my text I would not want to talk to them any more.

No one gives a crap if you dream about them.

If you felt the need to ignore him then, why keep trying to contact him?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 PM

FORGET texting, when it's important!! Too many people rely on texting, and should NOT!
There are way too many reasons which make SMS unreliable in a high priority message, and shouldn't be used when the message absolutely HAS to be received.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't find it drastic. If someone ignores my text I would not want to talk to them any more.

No one gives a crap if you dream about them.

If you felt the need to ignore him then, why keep trying to contact him?
HOW do you KNOW your text is being ignored?? You DON'T. Handoff's between cell sites often fail, causing SMS messages to be lost, without you having any way of knowing.
So you end up throwing it all away, because technology failed you ... classic.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
HOW do you KNOW your text is being ignored?? You DON'T. Handoff's between cell sites often fail, causing SMS messages to be lost, without you having any way of knowing.
So you end up throwing it all away, because technology failed you ... classic.
The OP obviously got the text and didn't feel like responding lol.

How often do texts actually get lost? Not too often.

I would be willing to bet 99% of the "missed text messages" are an excuse and maybe 1% are actually not seen.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:12 AM

97 posts, read 159,871 times
Personally, I get tired of being the "Initiator". For example, one of my sisters..almost never calls/text me, and half the time ignores my texts and then will later say she was sleeping(considering she has 2 young children, I doubt she's sleeping all the time). So yes, I will stop texting her for a while, until she decides to initiate a conversation.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:

I would be willing to bet 99% of the "missed text messages" are an excuse and maybe 1% are actually not seen.
How convenient to text from out of the blue, why not anytime in between "months later".

I think his reaction is just. And personally, I would have never respond back; even if she said she had a moist dream.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

This ^^^.

Anti-technology ramblings here notwithstanding, you KNOW if your regular method of communication (in this case texting) works.

You know how often you usually do it, and you know how often it TYPICALLY takes someone to respond.

Texting is TYPICALLY seen as instant messaging, especially because so many people have their phones within arm's reach all the time.

SO yes, if a text is not answered, it is considered a snub and is hurtful.

If a text did happen to contain a meaningful message, as he indicated his did, the snub is especially painful.

Apparently you blew him off, then a year later contacted him like it was no big deal. His reaction isn't that far out to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships