Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,132,559 times

Advertisements

People can have whatever preferences they want, but it seem pretty hypocritical for an overweight person to judge and reject someone else because they're also overweight. How can you hold your potential love interest to standards you don't even hold for yourself?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,050,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
10-4. Obviously, only men are entitled.
Yeah, that sounds like what I said.

It works both ways. In this case I've applied the thought to a woman but it is a neutral gender idea.

People do approach dating with a sense of entitlement, I'll agree with you there. Generally speaking any time you hear the words "I deserve..." they are followed a statements that are idealistic but not factual. Men and women alike are guilty of this. In this scenario I do not believe the OP is guilty of it.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,299,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
People can have whatever preferences they want, but it seem pretty hypocritical for an overweight person to judge and reject someone else because they're also overweight. How can you hold your potential love interest to standards you don't even hold for yourself?
You said both words. Fuse them together and you get hypocritical preference.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
Quote:
You can hold anyone to any standard you want regardless of your own shortcomings IF they are willing to get with you.

Think about how many smart men are with stupid women. Does that make the stupid women entitled? No. That means the smart men are willing to put up with that particular flaw because of something else in the package they like. There are many examples...smart people with dumb people, rich people with poor people, moral people with amoral people, hardworking people with lazy people...

Similarly, plenty of overweight people can reject other overweight people because there are other skinny people who will take them for the rest of the package.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,050,341 times
Tired of the rejection? Lose weight.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM

339 posts, read 380,647 times
Quote:

How does the bolded apply to women's almost universal need to "marry up?" I'm really not trying to hijack this thread, I'm just finding it easy to point out that while women are free to pursue whatever preferences or standards they wish, no matter how ridiculous or hypocritical, men who do the same are called out as "pigs."

Just one more for the "man = bad, woman = good" file.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,229,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Yes, it was sarcasm. I am sick of the way people justify every prejudice they have with the phrase, "it's my just preference."
What is WRONG with prejudicial preference? No one owes anyone a date?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,246,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Finkle View Post
How does the bolded apply to women's almost universal need to "marry up?" I'm really not trying to hijack this thread, I'm just finding it easy to point out that while women are free to pursue whatever preferences or standards they wish, no matter how ridiculous or hypocritical, men who do the same are called out as "pigs."

Just one more for the "man = bad, woman = good" file.
For the same reason women are blasted as golddiggers if they want a man who has financial security. Many men don't want to admit that financial security is an important legitimate need for women - and many women don't want to admit that physical attractiveness is an important legitimate need for men. Nobody wants to face the music that a man should make an effort at keeping a decent job and a woman might need to work at keeping in shape after kids.

It's utterly non-PC to say it, but the sexes might get along better if they just accepted those fundamental differences

Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Your getting political correctness mixed up with attraction. None of these things relate to one another

Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM

136 posts, read 176,916 times
Body type factors more in to female attractiveness than it does male attractiveness. To put it bluntly, when women fantasize about a guy, they fantasize about kissing his face, whereas when men fantasize about a women, they fantasize about being snuggly entangled with her curvy, firm body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships