Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,126,739 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that a woman can message a man about the most casual topic, and he is off and running. It's as if some thing got him started. He starts a whole chat session. Not just one guy has done this.

I wonder why woman have to send the original message to get any form of communication.

I also wonder why men will say that no one is interested yet they won't even send a message. THAT'S how conversations start AND how relationships start.

How will you ever get to know someone if you don't just say, "Hi", and see what happens? Or why not write, "I saw your post about roofing your house . . . ". There are only a couple things that can happen. She will write back and say, "Gee, thanks", she might write back and tell you about different issues with the roof (opening up the way for more dialogue), or she won't respond at all. What's there to lose?

So, messaging a man gets him chatting up a storm. Then, when the relationship is over, they can't even give a reason.

But, I still love you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 PM

184 posts, read 168,972 times
Most men have probably had too many unpleasant experiences.

I'm guessing you're talking about online dating here. You probably messaged a model-looking guy (which are the only guys that get messaged online). He didn't message you first because he has other girls messaging him.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,010,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I find it interesting that a woman can message a man about the most casual topic, and he is off and running. It's as if some thing got him started. He starts a whole chat session. Not just one guy has done this.

I wonder why woman have to send the original message to get any form of communication.

I also wonder why men will say that no one is interested yet they won't even send a message. THAT'S how conversations start AND how relationships start.

How will you ever get to know someone if you don't just say, "Hi", and see what happens? Or why not write, "I saw your post about roofing your house . . . ". There are only a couple things that can happen. She will write back and say, "Gee, thanks", she might write back and tell you about different issues with the roof (opening up the way for more dialogue), or she won't respond at all. What's there to lose?

So, messaging a man gets him chatting up a storm. Then, when the relationship is over, they can't even give a reason.

But, I still love you guys.
not really sure that's how it is but.... ok

Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 PM

42,762 posts, read 53,002,021 times
Guys do that....hmmmm.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,637,877 times
I don't have much to say about online dating type messaging. But messaging in general is a pain in my ass. I hate it.

"What time should I be there?" - Excellent use of instant messaging.

"What're u doing?" - Makes me wish I were single.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 PM

136 posts, read 176,948 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but 95% of men don't get any attention from women and thus have no reason to believe that any woman would want to talk to them. If a woman does initiate conversation with them, or so much as smiles at them, they become ecstatic; it's the highlight of their day, probably the highlight of their month.

The number of times I've been messaged by a woman in the past year is exactly once, very recently in fact. I don't even like her, but it felt good to know that she might like me.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:58 AM

887 posts, read 1,103,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
I

The number of times I've been messaged by a woman in the past year is exactly once, very recently in fact. I don't even like her, but it felt good to know that she might like me.
^^^^That's why they don't write. Leave those kind of negative comments out.
It only takes one good post and the will write.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:02 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,769,159 times
Chatting does not a relationship make.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,212,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Chatting does not a relationship make.
Amen to that

Old 02-08-2014, 08:27 AM

13,704 posts, read 9,806,354 times
Quote:
... There are only a couple things that can happen. She will write back and say, "Gee, thanks", she might write back and tell you about different issues with the roof (opening up the way for more dialogue), or she won't respond at all. What's there to lose?
For many men, "what's there to lose" is yet another particle of dignity and self-assurance that's lost when a batch of messages is sent to women, and zero respond.

I won't enter the fray debating who has an easier time dating - men or women - but I've definitely joined the camp of those who have become convinced, from personal experience and anecdotal evidence, in that in online dating, the response-rate to messages sent by men to women is staggeringly paltry. This explains, I think, many of the weird and disconcerting trends and behaviors in online dating.

That said, I agree with the OP that no adventure can begin without the initial foray - namely, the sending of a first message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships