Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:03 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,381,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
And that's my point. You have an abundance of guys just throwing stuff at the walls and seeing what sticks. Even myself, the first text message I got from one woman was various pics of her breast. For the most part, when I ask for a woman's number, I'm gonna ask for pictures. I don't think that's something that's gonna change. If have to start stating not to send pics of privates, than other people are screwing it up for me. I always feel the person who is hiding something is the one that doesn't want to send. If the guy sends you a pic of his junk, block his number and be done with it. It's a little more work, but no one has said dating is easy.

Sometimes I feel like I'm having to do twice the work for less results, because other jackholes are messing it up for me. I can't get in the door if the woman doesn't unlock it.
I've only received penis pictures from creepy dudes on a few occasions. This was via text. Never via the dating site itself.

I do typically ask to see other pictures when I first start talking to someone. I've also never been approached to share suggestive photos by random men. I've run into some questionable men, in terms of their motives or intentions, but the "good" or "nice" men certainly outweigh the duds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:08 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,683,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumptacular View Post
I disagree with the last couple of posts. There is no rehearsal in real life. You get to read body language, see if her eyes smile when her mouth does. See how she postures herself when she speaks about something she feels strongly about. There is a higher level of credibility given on the persons presence. Online relationships have to many unknown possibilities for there to be the same level of faith and trust based on the same number of interactions. If I go on 9 dates with a woman, I'm going to know a hell of a lot more about her than I would with a woman I spent 9 days shooting emails back and forth with.
Correct.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,424,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I've been on and off OLD for a few years and lately I've been hearing this same statement since signing up on Match. It seems it's not only men who get frustrated with OLD. I've messaged a couple of women that REALLY wish they could meet someone in real life.

I had a situation that fell into the real life scenario a few weeks ago. Had met a woman and had went on a date. She was nervous about the date, because I was online (as was she), but got really comfortable as the date started. She had already mentioned that she hopes that she could just meet people the old fashioned way and not have to go the OLD route. Yet, she's online just like myself.

Anyways, we had a second date at her place to eat dinner and watch Dr. Who. She was never much of a texter or phone talker, with me anyways, so I tried to schedule dates pretty close together. One Friday night she called me to meet up with her and some girlfriends at the local dance club. I get there and I can immediately tell she's trying to pawn me off on her friends. Her interest was in her phone that night, even though she told me she didn't like for people to keep tabs on her. We later talked about it, since I knew this was going to be the last time we talked anyways, and she stated that she met this person (in real life) and the connection was just there.

This is something I've started to hear more frequently over the last six months. There's a definite correlation, at least in my area, of meeting someone online compared to real life. I can admit that she just wasn't that into me and I'm not the type to try and change someone's mind. It just seemed like she was online to pass the time, but with big hopes to meet someone in real life. In the end, I kinda felt like I didn't stand much of a chance with her and I was held at arms length from the beginning.

Another example is I exchanged numbers with a lady this weekend. Since both of us only had one picture up, I asked if she would send a couple of pictures of herself. I sent 2 for her and then it took over a day for her to respond, and she said the picture thing caught her off guard. I didn't ask her for breast or vagina, just some pics of herself.

How in the world are people supposed to get to know someone online, when everyone wants to hold people at arms length? It's discouraging to know that it seems anyone and everyone is looking for a way to disqualify the other person. I never thought in my wildest dreams that OLD would be harder than real life. In some ways, I thought it would be easier. I just feel like I almost have to walk on eggshells asking questions, because everyone is waiting to say NEXT. Anyone else hear that they want to meet someone in real life, but have a OLD account that they pay for?
I personally like meeting people in person. Feels more natural. There's a feeling of serendipidity about it that makes the connection a bit more...? Special.

Online is okay, too. But, perhaps because onnline creates cyber-realities or illusions for me, fantasies that don't quite up mesh with real-life, the built up expectations turn into disappointments or they feel... rather forced and fake, both of which I feel turned off.

Meeting someone IRL helps me to gauge what potential chemistry there could be (mental, emotional, physical) a bit more. There's a sense of sweetness about it. Hard to describe.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,291,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I've only received penis pictures from creepy dudes on a few occasions. This was via text. Never via the dating site itself.

I do typically ask to see other pictures when I first start talking to someone. I've also never been approached to share suggestive photos by random men. I've run into some questionable men, in terms of their motives or intentions, but the "good" or "nice" men certainly outweigh the duds.

Just so you know, with the question, I sent two pictures of myself. One was me grilling and another was of me with my buddies dog. None of them were sexually suggestive in any way.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM

943 posts, read 1,005,524 times
Well, thats what YOU say...

Old 02-10-2014, 03:55 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,291,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
Well, thats what YOU say...
You're reaching if you take the pics I sent as anything being sexual. I still stand by that people look for anyway possible to sabotage getting to know someone. If I sent a junk shot, by all means ignore me, but I clearly didn't. The dynamic changed at that moment for something that seemed pretty juvenile and trivial to me. Going forward I just won't ask anything and have them chase after me, since that seems to get people excited. Then I can get their hopes up and they can come on CD and complain about giving them everything and they got used.

/ SARCASM RANT.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM

818 posts, read 918,985 times
OP, a lot of people are embarrassed to tell their friends and family that they met someone online. Some people still see it as being desperate or pathetic . When its just another way to "widen your net " when you are looking and not finding what you are after. but much like fishing with a net you never know what may catch .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships