Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I smells da odor of scorched flesh!

I mean, really, when is he gonna learn that that name-calling lumberjack bulls**t he spouts doesn't make him a freaking man?

He really needs to get over himself, with the quickness
Read my status and duck, pops.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,722 times
Default I Did Read Your Status...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Am I supposed to be overly impressed?

I think not...and like I said somehwere earlier, your pop-psychology BS and suspect 'game', which you probably clipped off the side of a box of 'Lucky Charms', doesn't compensate for your inability to converse with anyone here, male or female, without lapsing into that tired old 'mangina'-spouting shtick of yours, in a sad attempt to make yourself appear taller than a baby shoe

Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Any validity any of your posts may hold is negated by your name calling. I hope you realize that.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
So, over the past couple of weeks, I have spent some time reviewing online PUA material and have concluded PUA appeals to some men for 2 main reasons:

1) PUA promises to reduce the messy, complicated business of human interaction to an easy-to-follow, step-by-step formula. This makes it appealing to men who lack confidence in their social skills.

2) PUA plays to the deep resentment some men feel towards women as a result of repeated rejection. PUA posits male/female relationships as predator/prey interactions. It not only promises men success with women, but promises they can achieve that success through cruel, callous, manipulative behavior. PUA is as much about getting even as it is about getting laid.

That is my take on it. What do you think?
I agree, with additional criticisms I won't bother to go into.

Most who defend PUA sound just like #2, and I wonder why, if it's so successful & builds so much confidence, they seem so bitter & angry & cynical still.

The manipulative aspect is disturbing, but actually I am more bothered by the manipulative aspect for men.
As a woman, I'm not worried about PUA. I'm not the hot, shallow club girl with self-esteem issues they likely target, nor do I have such a shortage of integrity that a bit of charisma will make me hop into bed with someone.

But I find the PUA ideas create a loop of insecurity for men - namely, that they are not good enough without it & that if they don't fit some model for an "alpha male" (ugh, I'm so sick of the "alpha male" term too) that they'll be doomed to be an "AFC" (average frustrated chump). Even for women, many of these dating/relationship gurus out there basically feed off of & even create insecurities so as to keep their followers hooked. It's kind of the same tactic PUAs use on the "hot babes" - manipulate & create insecurities to keep the person hooked", in this case, seeking approval via sex & attention.

It also turns gender dynamics into a war of sorts - it's winning & strategy & being a step ahead. It sounds tiring and not very fulfilling in the long-run.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Any validity any of your posts may hold is negated by your name calling. I hope you realize that.
He doesn't realize any of it nor does he care to. I learned the lesson you mention as a kid but phrased a bit differently. It went like this " never start an argument you want to win with listen a..hole". he will never understand this. He mentioned he has a girlfriend. Well its Friday night and he's on CD. She must've sprung a leak he cannot patch.

Last edited by jma501; 02-14-2014 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,179 times
If Ascensions main objective was to gain negative notarity with his 'scathing' wit, and repartee, then he succeeded, hard as it can be, this guys opinion has come to be synonymous with spouting inane nonsense. I have yet to read anything he has said that is anything else.
On the other hand, Tabula, the Captain, and Meh, and a few others I am just astounded at times by your insight and delivery of it.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Are there not numerous posts by PUA proponents on this very thread harping over and over again that, NO, there is not more to it than getting laid?
are there? i haven't seen any, but then, i haven't been paying much attention. i've had my hands full with responses to my own comments.

Quote:
Part of the reason this whole setup comes off as skeevy is due to the number of acolytes reinforcing the notion that, yeah, it IS about getting laid at all costs.
sure. i accept that the perception of it varies. i am just sharing my experience.

in this particular way, it reminds me of feminism. in the radical feminist community, there are some seriously damaged people saying some seriously screwed up, sociopathic things ... particularly about men. But among more mainstream feminists i continually hear, "that's not what feminism is about..." .... despite the clear existence of a non-trivial number of feminists who clearly ARE about it.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think there are more feminine men and more masculine women today, then ever before in history of mankind. Its a sole reason sexual attraction is somewhat rare between gender neutral couples, and likely the biggest reason for increasing rate of failing relationships. A more masculine man will always prefer a more feminine woman, a gender neutral man will prefer a gender neutral woman and a more feminine will be ultimately more attracted to a more masculine woman. Its neither good or bad, its just what is and what has shaped over decades, so it isnt a n overnight change by any means. Chances are your father is more masculine than you if youre a guy and that your mother is more feminine than you, if youre a woman. Id just like people to recognize a basic fact, that shaming either is a destructive behavior.
Nah. I'm way more girly than my mom.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
So, over the past couple of weeks, I have spent some time reviewing online PUA material and have concluded PUA appeals to some men for 2 main reasons:

1) PUA promises to reduce the messy, complicated business of human interaction to an easy-to-follow, step-by-step formula. This makes it appealing to men who lack confidence in their social skills.

2) PUA plays to the deep resentment some men feel towards women as a result of repeated rejection. PUA posits male/female relationships as predator/prey interactions. It not only promises men success with women, but promises they can achieve that success through cruel, callous, manipulative behavior. PUA is as much about getting even as it is about getting laid.

That is my take on it. What do you think?
You hit the nail on the head.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
And yet, women fall for this PUA deal at an astonishing rate. And no, it isn't the "damaged" women with daddy issues, no matter what you may be wishing for. Im no fan of memorizing pickup lines, or making up stories to impress, never have done either in my life, but what PUA does teach guys is that women respond to certain treatment and behaviors in an extremely uniform way, as if they were a single entity, and indeed they are but Im afraid that's beyond your ability to comprehend. If I struggled attracting women, perhaps Id also turn to something like PUA to give me a hand up, but that need never surfaced.

You need a wider perspective and more detailed understanding of modern dating world to be able to even debate this topic, so I don't feel like im wasting my time here. IN todays dating world, women reject a good chunk of male population, that is shall we say less desirable, according to these women. Thanks to hypergamy, feminist brainwashing, cultural breakdown, and general moral corruption, women today choose to shoot for the stars and give themselves away freely to the top guys, who openly sleep with as many women as they please, who are perfectly fine with being some top dudes Wednesday girl. Much preferred to settling with an average guy.

This is obviously only scratching the surface, and I could write a book about this topic but the bottom line is, millions of men are born today, given traditional dating advice by those closest to them, only to be completely and utterly ignored by all women in the young adult life. There are young men who haven't had a date or gotten laid in a decade. You likely couldn't care less, because it doesn't effect you, but its not right and you perhaps should show a little empathy for others. PUA bridges the gap between traditional dating advice and modern dating world, and allows many men to date and get laid when they please. Personally, I would spend a penny nor spend a minute of my time learning PUA material, but I can see how it can be useful for many. Try to open up your mind a little and think outside the box. Thanks in advance.
Actually, reading this, I'm pretty sure that you aren't very successful with women at all. Because if you were really getting laid all the time, you wouldn't feel the need to talk about getting laid all the time. And you certainly wouldn't be elevating one-night stands to the end-all, be-all transcendent human experience of all time. That's the talk of someone who doesn't enjoy it on a regular basis.

The guys who actually are successful with women? They don't have to brag about being successful with women. They don't talk about approaching their potential conquests as if they were setting out to scale K2. And they certainly wouldn't be telling the world about how they resorted to this kind of scummy approach, touting PUA books with the same enthusiasm as a Bible beater endorses the Gospel of Luke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.