Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:02 AM

94 posts, read 375,446 times

Advertisements

So just a quick backstory. I work with this one girl, and we've been good friends now for over two years. It's actually kind of gross how cute we are together (always making each other laugh like there's an inside joke we only get, constantly going and eating lunch together, IMing each other all day long, taking our laptops into a conference room and working in there alone together for the day). In the time I've known her, she's never had a boyfriend, and while she was interested in this other guy for awhile, she claimed she was over it because he never made any sort of move (and I heard this second hand from a mutual friend, this is never something she discussed with me).

Anyways, yesterday I tried coming out with how I felt. She loves that "Would You Rather" game, so I asked her if she'd want to maintain our friendship just the way it is now or if she was open to the idea of us dating. I also assured her that no matter how she answered, I'd respect her response and not create any weirdness or whatnot between us.

She looked like she had a very surprised expression on her face, was smiling a lot, but said, "Oh man. I was so not expecting that. I mean.... I don't know. Can I think about it?" I of course said, "Sure," and didn't really pursue the matter any further that day.

So what do you think, is there a chance or am I just waiting for the inevitable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
She's trying to figure a way out of this without damaging the friendship. Did she think you were gay?

I ask because all this extreme chumminess you describe should not leave a woman surprised to get a question like that.

How old are you two?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 AM

She definitely knows I'm not gay.

I'm 30 and she's 28. And also, because I know it's going to come up... while yes, we do both work together, we are also in the process of finding new jobs (which will be happening much sooner than later). And we work in an environment where there are a few people who've hooked up without any issue.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor74 View Post

I'm 30 and she's 28.
Hmmm. Did you two spend time talking about other people you were dating at some point? Maybe people you dated in the past?

Something seems to have led her to assume you two were strictly friends.

Still, I think she's not interested in you romantically. If so, she would not have wanted time to "think about it."

If she had been seriously entertaining this she would already know the answer, see?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:

I'm 30 and she's 28. And also, because I know it's going to come up... while yes, we do both work together, we are also in the process of finding new jobs (which will be happening much sooner than later). And we work in an environment where there are a few people who've hooked up without any issue.
Ah, here was your biggest mistake. You may have been better off waiting until one of you found that new job. Then you could've let a couple days go by and called her with the "I missed you and just wanted to get a drink and hang out." Too late for that now. Don't press the matter and maybe it won't come up again. If she's trying to preserve the friendship she's not going to bring it up. Then if you want to try again you can do it the way I've already described.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM

I mean, we've casually talked about things we did in the past, but it was never really a deep conversation.

It baffles me how she was caught off guard. Another example. She had knee surgery a couple months ago, and had to stay home for a week before she could get back to work. Our work has a very lenient work from home policy, and she asked if I wanted to work from home but hang out with her at her place (and I did).

I was just hoping that maybe, the question did actually catch her off guard, it's something she never really did consider, but now is actually considering it instead of just using it as an excuse to let me down gently.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I mean, we've casually talked about things we did in the past, but it was never really a deep conversation.

It baffles me how she was caught off guard. Another example. She had knee surgery a couple months ago, and had to stay home for a week before she could get back to work. Our work has a very lenient work from home policy, and she asked if I wanted to work from home but hang out with her at her place (and I did).

I was just hoping that maybe, the question did actually catch her off guard, it's something she never really did consider, but now is actually considering it instead of just using it as an excuse to let me down gently.
And it's not possible that she is considering it, but if you have spent this much time alone with her already it would seem she ought to know if she's interested or not, yes?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
OP, sounds like your chances are good and she must like something about you spending all that time together. Good luck

Old 02-15-2014, 07:48 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
So just a quick backstory. I work with this one girl,
Don't shyt where you eat! Office romance do not end well.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
It's weird because you waited for two years, it's not the best compliment...it took you two years to figure out you wanted to ask her. Not only that, it seems like it would most likely compromise your work relationship. If you work together in the same department I doubt that would ever work. I could see if you worked for the same company, but in different departments, but not if you have to physically be together all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships