Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 PM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
See, freemkt, no one can really say what you have or have not done. Whether it is "enough" or if there are still options out there for you. Whether you could live more frugally to afford community college. Whether you spend "too much" on internet that you could spend on more long term benefits. No one really knows but you. But I CAN say that if I were free to date, I would not date you. You always have some ready excuse for why you HAVE to suck. How sucking is not your fault. I never used the word ambition. I used the word drive. You have already written off ALL of your options as one and done. THAT is lacking in drive. Drive continues to pick up stones to see what is underneath.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,549,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
In NYC, I don't think having a car is that prevalent.

In my experience - I have lived in each of the outer boroughs - having a car is the norm for those living in the outer boroughs, although I've known a few people who worked in Manhattan and lived without cars in close-in parts of Brooklyn.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Care to share your source of info? What do you consider poor? My kids go to school with a kids from families where both mom and dad are lower wage earners. What you say doesn't seem reflective of real life.

At the time I didn't think to write anything down (e.g. links or quotes) but that's the gist of my readings. It's well known that low-income men have particularly low marriage rates; historically income/job/career standards have been informally imposed on men, and men who fail to meet these standards have been considered 'unmarriageable".

Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Honestly, with your negative attitude, it's hardly surprising you haven't done well as far as work goes.

Dunno about that, there are SOME things I'm very good at.

Do you expect people with sucky jobs and sucky lives to have positive attitudes>

Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,771,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Do you expect people with sucky jobs and sucky lives to have positive attitudes>
Many people with sucky lives have a positive attitude. I have personally known hundreds of people with cancer or their kids have cancer and they maintain their joy and positivity despite the setbacks and pain and chemo and utter heartbreak. Are you really that naive that you believe everyone else's life is wonderful all the time, that everyone loves their job, and that no-one else has suffering of some description?

I am of the firm belief we choose to be happy or content and conversely we choose to be negative and miserable.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:05 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,366,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Many people with sucky lives have a positive attitude. I have personally known hundreds of people with cancer or their kids have cancer and they maintain their joy and positivity despite the setbacks and pain and chemo and utter heartbreak. Are you really that naive that you believe everyone else's life is wonderful all the time, that everyone loves their job, and that no-one else has suffering of some description?

I am of the firm belief we choose to be happy or content and conversely we choose to be negative and miserable.
I agree that we influence those things, but I think some people are more naturally positive and upbeat, some are less so, and some are naturally pessimistic. The thing is, people who are naturally more pessimistic are the ones who can benefit the most from working on their attitude and being more positive.

I agree that almost everyone can get out of the negative and miserable category. They have to be willing to work for it, though.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I agree that we influence those things, but I think some people are more naturally positive and upbeat, some are less so, and some are naturally pessimistic. The thing is, people who are naturally more pessimistic are the ones who can benefit the most from working on their attitude and being more positive.

I agree that almost everyone can get out of the negative and miserable category. They have to be willing to work for it, though.
I speak as someone who has struggled with self esteem and negativity for many years. It took me a long time to decide that I needed to change my self speak and monitor my thoughts closely or I would go through life never finding that inner peace that I sought. Now I have a wonderful life and I'm so much happier knowing that I do have power and control over myself and the direction my life is going. I will never be the epitome of positivity but I am more than pleased with my progress thus far and I have come to accept that it's ok to just be the best me I can.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

Sure, but I don't know how to be happy when I have PTSD because I was raised by volatile druggies and drunks...and because I live on a shoestring, I'm stuck renting a room from an angry volatile drunk who hardly ever gets out of the house, because he lost his license (upteenth DUI) and can't drive.

On days I work, I leave the house early before he wakes up and don't come home until he's in bed; on days I don't work I hole up in my room all day. Who can be happy living that way?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,652,511 times
Quote:

It is very hard to be happy when you know you not working towards anything .Maybe it's a guy thing - or an anybody thing - that we want and almost need to make a fulfilling, meaningful contribution to our world. I would say though that a career is much different and more fulfilling than a job.

My job kinda of defines who i am so it not so easy being happy.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Sure, but I don't know how to be happy when I have PTSD because I was raised by volatile druggies and drunks...and because I live on a shoestring, I'm stuck renting a room from an angry volatile drunk who hardly ever gets out of the house, because he lost his license (upteenth DUI) and can't drive.

On days I work, I leave the house early before he wakes up and don't come home until he's in bed; on days I don't work I hole up in my room all day. Who can be happy living that way?
You have a job, find another room to rent. You spend enough time on this forum to warrant getting a second job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships