Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The approximate minimum you expect a potential husband to make mid career
150K yearly 33 23.91%
100K yearly 22 15.94%
75K yearly 29 21.01%
50K yearly 29 21.01%
$15/hr 6 4.35%
None 19 13.77%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:02 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I think a lot of women who go to college expect men to make a lot of $ whether they make any $ or not.

I think all of the guys who don't make anything and have wives/GFs/kids, they mate from a pool of women with less education. I think this forum is mostly comprised of college educated women.
I wouldn't say that. I'd say that people mate people with similar levels of education. There are a heck of a lot of college-educated men and women who don't make much money these days. A college educated school teacher in Mississippi is going to marry a college educated librarian in Mississippi...and neither makes much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
This has to be one of the dumbest questions I've seen on here a long time.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
....it isn't so much as what he makes as how he spends it. When I was married, my ex made a decent salary when he was working. But he was very stingy with me and very generous for himself. ...

So for me, I could be married to a millionaire. If he was an Ebenezer Scrooge, it wouldn't make a difference in how much money he earned.
This is a useful data-point for reflection. Today, few women are interested in a wealthy man purely for the status. To the extent that there's interest in wealth, that interest concerns the spending of money; or in more considerate and mature terms, the appropriate usage of money to maintain a comfortable lifestyle. A wealthy man who voluntarily lives at the poverty-level so that he could deposit $30,000 every month with Fidelity Investments, isn't going to be prime dating material, so long as we view the subject in purely material terms. A profligate and debauched spender would presumably not be appealing either, because such a lifestyle is unstable and bodes ill for the proverbial long-term.

My own case was definitely leaning towards what Minervah (by the way, why the "h" at the end of "Minerva"?) described. Though my ex left over disagreement about having children, she did cite my parsimony and the resulting artificially constrained life as one cause that prompted her to seek alternatives.

Middle-class and upper-middle-class people tend to view money as a means toward and end; as something with which to buy comfort, convenience, pleasures, maybe status. Money buys stuff. It buys a vacation-house, first-class airfare tickets, domestic-help, top-notch health care. Money isn't viewed as an end in itself, or as a means of wielding influence, of shaping society and affecting the political discourse. Of course savings are laudable to a point, as is thrift. But the purpose of thrift is to build a hedge against a rainy day, and not to amass a fortune.

The lesson is that overall world-view towards money is more important than raw salary or assets. What's appealing and what denotes compatibility can't be reduced to a dollar figure. It ultimately depends on personality and values, and concerns the money itself, only in so far as some amount of earning-power is a surrogate for success and the supposed character-traits that it entails.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:26 AM

240 posts, read 240,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
There were already men who fessed up to voting for the 150K option in this poll. To think that this poll is at all accurate would be erroneous.

Then why comment? Listen, one of the things that women look for in a man is money. Different women have different standards. To deny this flies in the face of reality. Women, for time immemorial have looked to men as resource providers, and typically want to marry "up" the economic ladder. And despite 50 years of feminist brainwashing, this is still the case.

But to be fair, a lot of men now also expect a female to pull her weight economically in a relationship, which evens the score a bit.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceShamWow View Post
Then why comment? Listen, one of the things that women look for in a man is money. Different women have different standards. To deny this flies in the face of reality. Women, for time immemorial have looked to men as resource providers, and typically want to marry "up" the economic ladder. And despite 50 years of feminist brainwashing, this is still the case.

But to be fair, a lot of men now also expect a female to pull her weight economically in a relationship, which evens the score a bit.
Why comment? To point out that getting upset because it seems like women are demanding men to make more than 150K is silly since I would say that most of the "women" that voted for that option are men.

Most women don't look for money. There is a difference between money and security. Many women want security. They want someone responsible. They want to know that their children won't starve. Most women don't look to land the richest guy around.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:02 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,888 times
Quote:
Why comment? To point out that getting upset because it seems like women are demanding men to make more than 150K is silly since I would say that most of the "women" that voted for that option are men.

Most women don't look for money. There is a difference between money and security. Many women want security. They want someone responsible. They want to know that their children won't starve. Most women don't look to land the richest guy around.

True no woman wants a guy that works 7 days a week and makes no time for her and the kids.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
This has to be one of the dumbest questions I've seen on here a long time.
LOL...enough for cab fare to his parent's house when I throw his ass out.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM

240 posts, read 240,388 times
Quote:

It took you only 4 sentences to completely invalidate what you said in the first sentence.

Impressive.

So, in other words, women don't look for money.....except that they do.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
It took you only 4 sentences to completely invalidate what you said in the first sentence.

Impressive.

I'm not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse or genuinely obtuse. Either way, not my problem.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:

Impressive.

You don't understand the difference between looking for money vs looking for security?
Security = a character guy you can rely on to consistently help to provide ... this may not have anything to do with how much he makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships