Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie071tone View Post
How and when should you bring up the fact you won't sleep with a man until you two are in an exclusive relationship?
I couldn't really say. In all my years of dating and having sex, short term, long term, I've never at any point discussed exclusivity with someone or even whether or not we would have sex at some point. Exclusivity just happened. We would start dating and at some point, it would just become "clear" that we were both focused only on each other.

Sex would typically only happen after that point organically, not because I said to myself or to him, "Well, I'm the only one on your mind now so we can have sex". So based on my experiences, I wouldn't even bring it up unless I'm given a reason to because I've never had to.

That's not the case for everyone, though. Some people need things to be verbalized because they're uncomfortable letting things develop without knowing where they stand or what someone's intentions are or because they feel it's not concrete if it isn't stated - rather, they use the fact that it was never verbalized as an excuse to play the field.

If any of that is a concern or even if it's just important enough to you that a potential mate know your rule, I say bring it up whenever things get intimate enough for sex to be right around the corner.

Obviously, I don't mean bring it up while you're making out on the bed lol I just mean I wouldn't bring it up on the first date or when you're still in the casual phase of just hanging out together. I'd mention it if it seemed we were moving toward a point where sex is the next likely step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie071tone View Post
Is waiting for exclusiveness a crazy or outdated concept in todays age? Would a woman have a harder time getting follow-on dates once she made this known?
Not at all. Exclusivity isn't that big of a deal. All it means is I'm not having sex with you if I'm not the only one you're seeing and I think the average person finds that reasonable. I don't even think the average guy is okay sleeping with a girl who is all around town with other dudes at the same time. Let's just say I first heard the words sl_t and sloppy seconds out of a man's mouth, not a woman's lol

For those who think exclusivity is such a burden, like others said, it's not like you're bound for life. If it doesn't work out, you're free to break it up and go back to exploring your options, so it's not really that big of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Better stock up on plastic wrap.

I suppose that was an attempt at being humorous. It failed.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:47 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I suppose that was an attempt at being humorous. It failed.
I'm only here to amuse myself. What you do sexually is not my concern.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
How are they contradictory? I have never been a believer in serial monogamy and I think taking breaks between relationships is a healthy thing.
Isn't taking breaks between relationships the same thing as serial monogamy? As opposed to overlapping, or polyamory, or one sex partner for your whole life?

Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Isn't taking breaks between relationships the same thing as serial monogamy? As opposed to overlapping, or polyamory, or one sex partner for your whole life?

Maybe it's terminology, but I've always considered serial monogamy to be going from one committed relationship right into another committed relationship (back to back) time and time again, without breaks. That is always how I've seen it used.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 PM

31,062 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about saliva either. I'm talking about the scenario of going south on a woman who had recently been with another dude. A condom won't help you.
Thats what I was talking about. Most any woman I have dated over the last few years has had a long period of time between their last bf and me. 6 months was the last one, but the chance arose that I could have had sex with my old girlfriend several days after her current bf split up. I chose not to but a few of those critters could be floating around for days

Quote:
What if he doesn't shower often?
I don't have control of anyone but myself. I am very clean and shower once in the morning and once after I leave the gym almost every day. If you want to have sex with dirty men that is your
prerogative.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's terminology, but I've always considered serial monogamy to be going from one committed relationship right into another committed relationship (back to back) time and time again, without breaks. That is always how I've seen it used.
Ohhhh! I'm used to it meaning monogamous with one person at a time, but more than one per lifetime. As opposed to strict monogamy, which means one person per lifetime.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Ohhhh! I'm used to it meaning monogamous with one person at a time, but more than one per lifetime. As opposed to strict monogamy, which means one person per lifetime.

Well the latter is almost non existent, but fair enough... from the urban dictionary definition

one who spends as little time as possible being single, moving from the end of one relationship to the beginning of a new relationship as quickly as possible

although the relationships in which many serial monogamists find themselves are also often short lived, the defining aspect of serial monogamy is the desire and ability to enter new relationships very quickly, thus abbreviating any period of single life during which the serial monogamist may begin to ask questions of an existential nature

That's always how I've seen it used. I don't think it is healthy myself, but I'm not needy in that way.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 PM

31,062 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Well the latter is almost non existent, but fair enough... from the urban dictionary definition

one who spends as little time as possible being single, moving from the end of one relationship to the beginning of a new relationship as quickly as possible

although the relationships in which many serial monogamists find themselves are also often short lived, the defining aspect of serial monogamy is the desire and ability to enter new relationships very quickly, thus abbreviating any period of single life during which the serial monogamist may begin to ask questions of an existential nature

That's always how I've seen it used. I don't think it is healthy myself, but I'm not needy in that way.
Hmm, I have been a Cereal Dater, practicing Parallel Monogamy for the majority of my life. It was trying at times

Old 03-31-2014, 02:08 PM

Thank you, timberline . I was using the definition that's common in sexuality research. I had no idea there was this other, parallel usage! It's neat to learn something .

PS: I had a housemate like that, when I was in college. Her relationships ranged from 2 weeks to 2 months. She was surprised that the rest of us were surprised .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships