Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 07:56 AM

513 posts, read 737,739 times

Advertisements

Of course, I paid all of my bills and he still thought he could criticize every purchase I made. We once had an extended disagreement about what I paid for a shower curtain liner that was half price at Penney's. He asked all sort of questions about whether I had tried cleaning my old one, bleaching it and so forth, which I had. He ended up calling me "Ms. Moneybags," sarcastically. Arrgh!!!

Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This is not a dealbreaker for the relationship, but my new BF is a Walmart hater. I shop at Walmart. I'm aware of the controversies and have my own opinions. I don't really care where other people shop. I'm not making a lot of money right now and I like that Walmart is one stop shopping for virtually all my household needs and most personal needs. I know where everything is and what they have before I step into the store. If i ever became rich, I would still find it convenient to shop at Walmart. I'm lucky to live in an area with nice Walmarts and know which ones to avoid when possible. There is a Walmart half a mile from my work. I have a Sam's club card that my ex husband pays for which I use on occasion when it is convenient. I don't see how Walmart is really any worse than any other big american corporation. I don't raise this issue or argue with people about it. I don't try to convince them that they should shop there. I just shop and mind my own business.

So my BF is politically opposed to Walmart in general, as well as Sam's Club. He brings it up all the freakin time! I've explained some of my points of view as defined above, but I don't want to come across as "Dude, you'd shop there too if you were as broke as I am" because it is not his business how broke I am. So I avoid the topic when possible.

So last weekend we went to Target for something and he immediately started in on how much nicer it is than Walmart. I remained neutral on the subject (since I don't really find it interesting as a topic for discussion) and started talking about other things, and I think he took it personally....

So what to do with the Walmart hater? Is this going to tank my relationship because I won't join his hate parade? Like I said, i don't try to persuade him to shop there, we have plenty of other options.

WWYD??
Stand your ground and don't give in. Before you know it he will be controlling everything you do.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
I would not be as concerned about the difference of opinion as I would about his refusal to get off his hobbyhorse and just let you make the choices you think are best for your life. From your description, it sounds like it's more of a control issue than an issue of philosophical difference. You don't owe him an explanation, and you don't need his approval to decide what is best for your particular circumstances. You are not nagging at him to shop at Walmart, why does he feel he has a right to nag at you not to shop there? It's really not his call to make. You are not doing anything illegal or immoral. Your right to make your own choices should be respected, and there are men who are secure enough to let you form your own opinions. This one doesn't sound like one of those. JMHO.
^^This! The situation is not about WM; it's his way of being a control freak. You are dating, you're not married, and dating is all about getting to know someone. . . therefore you are learning about him first-hand. Always remember that whatever negatives there are, they will never decrease.

It wonderful to be with Mr. Right......just make sure he's not Mr. Always Right.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 AM

211 posts, read 266,822 times
I like your BF, it's good to date someone who has actual feelings and passions for or against something.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:33 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,617,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This is not a dealbreaker for the relationship, but my new BF is a Walmart hater. I shop at Walmart. I'm aware of the controversies and have my own opinions. I don't really care where other people shop. I'm not making a lot of money right now and I like that Walmart is one stop shopping for virtually all my household needs and most personal needs. I know where everything is and what they have before I step into the store. If i ever became rich, I would still find it convenient to shop at Walmart. I'm lucky to live in an area with nice Walmarts and know which ones to avoid when possible. There is a Walmart half a mile from my work. I have a Sam's club card that my ex husband pays for which I use on occasion when it is convenient. I don't see how Walmart is really any worse than any other big american corporation. I don't raise this issue or argue with people about it. I don't try to convince them that they should shop there. I just shop and mind my own business.

So my BF is politically opposed to Walmart in general, as well as Sam's Club. He brings it up all the freakin time! I've explained some of my points of view as defined above, but I don't want to come across as "Dude, you'd shop there too if you were as broke as I am" because it is not his business how broke I am. So I avoid the topic when possible.

So last weekend we went to Target for something and he immediately started in on how much nicer it is than Walmart. I remained neutral on the subject (since I don't really find it interesting as a topic for discussion) and started talking about other things, and I think he took it personally....

So what to do with the Walmart hater? Is this going to tank my relationship because I won't join his hate parade? Like I said, i don't try to persuade him to shop there, we have plenty of other options.

WWYD??
To me, Walmarts and Targets are one of the same. Tell your BF to get a grip.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM

211 posts, read 266,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Your STBE is all all heart, no brain . No matter how much truth is thrown at them, these so-called “bleeding heart liberals” seem incapable of acknowledging reality.
Wrong. That would describe all the right wing nutjobs. "Unskewed polls" anyone?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
Of course, I paid all of my bills and he still thought he could criticize every purchase I made. We once had an extended disagreement about what I paid for a shower curtain liner that was half price at Penney's. He asked all sort of questions about whether I had tried cleaning my old one, bleaching it and so forth, which I had. He ended up calling me "Ms. Moneybags," sarcastically. Arrgh!!!
Oh, good grief. Your boyfriend is a total a-hole. Why are you even asking us? Just dump him now. Because if this relationship goes further, you'll have to justify every single purchase to him from now until doomsday.

There's a huge difference between being frugal and being a freaking cheapskate. The first is a matter of being prudent. The second is just misery for anybody in that person's life.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Lightbulb Wrong Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Yogurt View Post
Wrong. That would describe all the right wing nutjobs. "Unskewed polls" anyone?
Since when does a post/thread about WAL-MART and the OP's boyfriend who hates it, degenerate into a back and forth political p***ing contest?

I've got a better final line--- how about 'shut the bleep up whining and turning everything into a dadgum 'left vs right' superiority tug of war which solves not a blasted thing', anyone?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 AM

10 posts, read 7,993 times
I do agree that Target is like the better version of walmart. But knowing that whatever you buy at target is cheaper at walmart, will make me go to walmart more. My husband just recently told me that he hates walmart just like his aunt does.

Which makes me go like this - - because his aunt worked at walmart and we ALWAYS shop at walmart. LOL

For me it's okay if he loath walmart with a passion just as long as he does not tell me NOT to shop there because when it comes to MY money, I and ONLY I can and will decide how and WHERE do I spend it.

I did work at target that was my very first EVER job, LOL. But no, I still prefer walmart prices. Though the ambiance is really much MUCH better at target.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart, but I think your boyfriend is a preening self-righteous nitwit. Likely a snob, too, who tries to turn his sense of aesthetics into a virtue. I mean, is there really any difference between Wal-Mart and Target, outside of cleaner aisles and merchandising? Both come into a community, drop in a huge store, pay bottom-dollar wages, and drive the local merchants out of business. In fact, the next time he does it, stroll into his bedroom and start checking the labels of all his clothing to see where they were stitched together. Probably some sweatshop in Bangladesh or Indonesia. Then throw his clothes in the garbage, because he would obviously appreciate removing anything made with exploitive labor from his premises. He'll get the message.
Absolutely.

There are places I do not choose to spend my money, and if somebody asks why not, I'll tell them, but otherwise, my business. Am I going to tell them they need to share my views? Of course not. Going around braying about my personal views and how I think others need to adjust theirs to match mine is stupid. I have various stances on ethics and social justice, and do make decisions with mindfulness to my views. There are times when the necessity of a given situation outweighs my personal preferences, but overall, I try to avoid putting my money places I don't philosophically support as often as possible. Sometimes it's less possible, and I'm not going to cry in my beer if Walmart carried something my local hardware store did not. I've lived in my share of rural communities where Walmart is THE option (because, unfortunately, they drove local merchants out of business decades ago). And I'm not going to jump somebody's **** because they are making their own choices on how to stretch their dollar. Not my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships