Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 04:42 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times

Advertisements

Texting is only a problem between people who are unsure of each other. It still remains an efficient means of communication between people who are genuine to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 04:57 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
I don't know, it also can be useful and helpful and add to a relationship.

My SO and I live about an hour apart, so we don't always get to see each other much through the week. Often, we'll both be out at a restaurant in our respective neighborhoods, carrying on a lighthearted conversation via text while we wait for dinner. We're both foodies so we've been known to text each other pics of our dinner, too.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Actually, texting is for emotionally-underdeveloped nitwits. You can communicate more in a thirty-second phone call, nuance and all, than you could in a dozen texts back and forth.

There's this guy I've worked with. Right now he's looking for work. Here is the actual text exchange we had last week.

HIM: Dude. Got an interview.
ME: With whom.
HIM: [Five minutes later] With [Company name]. Need a reference.
ME: Sure. What's the position?
HIM: [Seriously, two hours later] Director of Social Media.
ME: Okay. What questions did they ask in the interview?
HIM: Well, it's kind of long.
ME: OMG. Just pick up the freaking phone and call.

Sorry. It's just a wholly inadequate form of communication. It takes forever to type out a message and you wind up having these disconnected conversations that actually get in the way of having an actual conversation.

Hey, if it's something along the lines of "Be home at 6:30" or "Pick up milk at the store, please" then, hey, text messages are boffo. But for anything beyond that, they are just stupid.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Texting is only a problem between people who are unsure of each other. It still remains an efficient means of communication between people who are genuine to each other.
Well, while dating, you generally have at least one person who is not sure of themselves. There is limitless possibilities for miscommunication.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, texting is for emotionally-underdeveloped nitwits. You can communicate more in a thirty-second phone call, nuance and all, than you could in a dozen texts back and forth.

There's this guy I've worked with. Right now he's looking for work. Here is the actual text exchange we had last week.

Sorry. It's just a wholly inadequate form of communication. It takes forever to type out a message and you wind up having these disconnected conversations that actually get in the way of having an actual conversation.

Hey, if it's something along the lines of "Be home at 6:30" or "Pick up milk at the store, please" then, hey, text messages are boffo. But for anything beyond that, they are just stupid.
I agree, as far as I'm concerned that's how texting should be used, mostly for just one-way communications, such as you've said, "running late" or "will call later" etc etc.

Having a full on dialog is a PITA in my humble opinion.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Really? Who appointed you the authority on what constitutes a complete conversation? I want to see if I can get my PHR certification from them too despite my only being 9 hours into my HR program.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:01 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
I feel much the same way about texting and dating. However, living in SF as a 23 year old student, it's one of those things that you have to get used to. Unless I date someone who's old enough to be my mother, the first few weeks are going to involve a massive amount of texting. It's horrible because I punch in text like a paraplegic sloth with heart issues, meanwhile my text partners send out War and Peace in about thirty seconds.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Texting is only rough when you text a certain way.

Woman:Omg I has such a great day today I saw this movie and got free popcorn.It was so nice.Then I went swimming and I prevented this lady from hitting her head backstroking.Then I played poker and won the pot it was so sweet.

Man:Cool.

The disinterested guy or uncomunicater is always fun.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 PM

683 posts, read 853,859 times
I guess I'm an old man. I just think carrying a total conversation in text is plain retarded. Text is a great tool if you are at work and you want to say hello. Text is good if you are busy and need to get quick message out. I can't date a woman that is text crazy.

I remember getting a text on my phone in 1999 and was like WTF is this? Never in a million years would I think it would explode like this.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,579,050 times
There is an expectation of a phone call to last a little bit especially with people that don't see each other much. I still call my dad once a week, but if we are watching a game a text serves as decent commentary every inning or so. I would agree that some things should be done by phone, but texting is very convenient sometimes and actually brings some people closer.
edit: I realize this is in regard to relationships and I think people that break up or ask out by text are kind of lame, but it's a nice tool in relationships for keeping in contact as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships