Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the quote?
I agree 22 70.97%
I disagree 7 22.58%
I'm on the fence/it depends 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

I would say the one who cares least controls the fate of the relationship not the relationship itself. If you care little, you can say it and end the relationship at any tme without much emotional consequence to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
No....disagree.

Relationships are about love, companionship, and trust. It's not a contest. I don't know why people try to make it one. Folks need to grow up.
No kidding. Your spouse/SO is not your enemy, someone you're trying to get one up on. A marriage/relationship is a partnership with someone you love, not someone you're in a power struggle with for control.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusss View Post
There is not one culture on the planet that encourages people to be poor or without power, fame etc. Every country in the world worships power, popularity, dominance, authority, and so on. So isn't it logical to conclude that the same mindset - the worship of power - would have influenced the nature of relationships as well? Not saying it should be that way, but isn't it clearly the case, unfortunately?
Of course it has influenced the nature of relationships, in many complex and unsavory ways. But the OP statement was much more reductionist than that. The OP posits that every single relationship is a ruthless power struggle, where the ultimate goal is to dominate and control your partner. That is pure hyperbole. Some relationships may play out that way, but it is not the case with most relationships. Most relationships are more than simple power struggles. Most relationships are fraught with love, guilt, passion, regret, hope, disappointment, compassion, etc.

Last edited by RogersParkGuy; 04-29-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
If your relationships is about power and you both know who loves more or less - then it's not really a relationship. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I voted disagree, because the question presupposes that relationships are some kind of struggle for power and domination between the partners. Some relationships do play out that way, but no relationship I would ever be a party to.
Well said, I totally agree.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:24 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I voted disagree, because the question presupposes that relationships are some kind of struggle for power and domination between the partners. Some relationships do play out that way, but no relationship I would ever be a party to.
I agree with this sentiment. In a reasonably healthy relationship, neither party is calculating his power in relation to hers, or vice versa. And while one person might feel more than the other, if that person is healthy, he or she can still be a full partner, negotiate needs, and leave if that time comes.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 AM

706 posts, read 1,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
No kidding. Your spouse/SO is not your enemy, someone you're trying to get one up on. A marriage/relationship is a partnership with someone you love, not someone you're in a power struggle with for control.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if that were true and everyone thought this way? Sadly though that is not the case and there are people out there that manipulate and control their SO. I've been told that those people lack self confidence and are very insecure so they try and control everything around them to protect themselves. However, when you are living it and experiencing it, it's a living nightmare from which you NEVER wake until the day you walk out that door.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I've heard this idea for years. Do you agree or disagree with this quote? Be sure to vote
No one can properly answer this on any level. Emotions (feelings) are as individual as those who have them and no one can know the depth of emotions/feelings of another human.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusss View Post
There is not one culture on the planet that encourages people to be poor or without power, fame etc. Every country in the world worships power, popularity, dominance, authority, and so on. So isn't it logical to conclude that the same mindset - the worship of power - would have influenced the nature of relationships as well? Not saying it should be that way, but isn't it clearly the case, unfortunately?
No, I think he was right... and actually, I was under the impression that western cultures at least worship individuality, self-expression and liberty... some would even throw equality into the mix. People tend to get kind of upset if a leader tells them that they need to worship their power and dominance.

Loving someone isn't about completely forgoing your own needs, wants, feelings and ideas in favor of theirs... if that's how you're approaching the relationship it's either unhealthy or not going to last.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
If someone didn't care about the relationship and tried to have "power" over me I'd just dump her lol.

What is this, high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships