Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 02:03 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about anyone: friends, family, boyfriend/girlfriends, husbands, and wives.

Not physically either, but mainly emotionally and mentally. Just about everyone retaliates when or if someone physically assaults them. Most of the time.

Do you just walk away from a person when they have betrayed you or stabbed you in the back? Or do you need to get revenge?

Call me a push over, but when someone close to me has hurt me, I feel so bad I can't even do anything to really retaliate. I stand up for myself of course. I'll be upset about it for a while then eventually I'll get over it with no real long term effects. I'm just asking because the subject came up with some friends the other day. They all said they have retaliated one way or another when someone has hurt their feelings. I've never really gotten angry enough to really want to do that, at least not that I recall. I'm mainly just sad and distraught. Ironically I love to debate things though lol. It really depends.

What about you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Retaliating isn't mature. Standing up for yourself, being assertive, is. There's a big difference between the two.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
The only person who has really hurt me has been my ex-wife. I've only been puking drunk twice in my life, and both times were over her.

But, no, I did not retaliate. The only real weapon I would have had would have been my son, and even though she left me as a single parent when he was just a baby, screwing him up to spite her (you can't treach a boy to hate his mother) would have ultimately been a losing proposition.

As it was, he finally realized on his own how screwed up she is.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I agree. I don't retaliate, either. All that does is bring you down to their level.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:14 PM

48 posts, read 49,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I'm talking about anyone: friends, family, boyfriend/girlfriends, husbands, and wives.

Not physically either, but mainly emotionally and mentally. Just about everyone retaliates when or if someone physically assaults them. Most of the time.

Do you just walk away from a person when they have betrayed you or stabbed you in the back? Or do you need to get revenge?

Call me a push over, but when someone close to me has hurt me, I feel so bad I can't even do anything to really retaliate. I stand up for myself of course. I'll be upset about it for a while then eventually I'll get over it with no real long term effects. I'm just asking because the subject came up with some friends the other day. They all said they have retaliated one way or another when someone has hurt their feelings. I've never really gotten angry enough to really want to do that, at least not that I recall. I'm mainly just sad and distraught. Ironically I love to debate things though lol. It really depends.

What about you?
Just give them a look and they never do it again.
Or don't let your ego hurt back because people who hurt others
have also been hurt.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
I don't have to so far they usually fall on their own sword
OK OK I help a little bit but not that much

Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
The best revenge is a life well lived.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:46 PM

867 posts, read 909,211 times
I've never retaliated when someone has hurt me. I feel sad and distraught for sure. But my reaction is always to just get away from them. Something I have found is that typically when someone hurts you it's not personal i.e. they have a tendency to hurt to everyone. That's why there is a such thing as toxic people out there. I think your response is perfectly healthy and your friend's response is not.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
I usually just laugh it off.

I'm not sure what anyone could say to me that could emotionally "bother me" in a way that wasn't also a reflection of themselves as a person.

Last edited by rego00123; 05-01-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
My first impulse is always to retaliate but as I got older and listening to the advice of people who truly cared for me, I've come to realize retaliation is pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships