Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 12,337 times

Advertisements

i can relate to you.... i have a boyfriend now he has his ex girlfriend name tattooed on his chest and i was so shocked when he told me that he wanted to reprint it because its fading now.... i feel very disrespectful because im his gf now and he told me that kind of ****! is it possible that he still love and miss his ex? by the way i didnt tell him what i feel coz im so scared of what he would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 11:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This came up in conversation with one of my sons recently.

He has a good friend who has a very large tattoo of his wife's name - "Colleen" - on his neck.

He is now divorcing and lacks the funds to have the tat removed, plus he really likes it.

I'm just wondering how his next SO is going to feel about having to live with that tattoo.

Then I read this letter to Dear Abby and it seems to confirm that this could be an issue for a lot of people.

DEAR ABBY: My boyfriend and I have been dating for two years. We live together, and his child from another woman lives with us. I love my boyfriend and his child, but one thing prevents me from imagining us being married: He has his child's mother's name tattooed on his body.

The tattoo bothers me for many reasons, and I'd like him to have it covered up if we ever do marry. He says he doesn't want to get rid of it. When the topic comes up, we argue.

Am I unreasonable for wanting him to get rid of the tattoo? If that woman really is in his past, why does he need a constant reminder of her on his body? -- IN A STINK OVER INK

How would YOU handle a situation like this?
I see it as whatever the tattoo was it was part of that persons life before I came along. If I had my wife's name tattooed on my body and say she left, and my new SO had a issue with it it's THEIR issue. They dint like it bring it up when we're first together. So I can make a decision. Most likely I would leave since the person must be so god damn insecure from seeing a tattoo of a past relationship on my body it's pointless to go in a relationship with them. Why? Because they will always be insecure about it. And most likely will bring it up at some point.

It's a tattoo. Unless your SO is f'ing the person whose name is on their body stop freaking out over it

Old 05-07-2017, 03:23 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
No problems with tattoos nor items that were a part of a person's life before me. However it could be a sign of poor judgment. I would not write them off but I would proceed with caution

Old 05-07-2017, 03:28 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times
an old pal of mine had his finances name on his arm. As soon as she broke up with him, he went & got it covered, re crafted, which was hte only smart thing to do, imo.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,142 times
I’ve been dating this guy for about two years now I’ve Brong up the issue about these two different women that he has on his chest I asked him will he get it removed or covered up he said no because they are sentimental values meaning he been through a lot with these women and he still basically care for them so he will not get it covered it I’m confused

Old 03-19-2018, 12:39 AM

19,400 posts, read 15,227,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesha30 View Post
I’ve been dating this guy for about two years now I’ve Brong up the issue about these two different women that he has on his chest I asked him will he get it removed or covered up he said no because they are sentimental values meaning he been through a lot with these women and he still basically care for them so he will not get it covered it I’m confused
"Brong"? And capitalized? I don't get it. I understand (sort of) auto-correct (I don't text much), but how in the heck could this spelling be preferred/okayed?

Anyway, this is an age-old quandary, and a first-time poster, but, seriously, if I were really into someone and they had a stupid old tattoo from when they were young and dumb and passionate about someone, I could not care less.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I don’t date and certainly wouldn’t date a girl with tattoos and most certainly wouldn’t date a girl with name tatoos.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:51 AM

972 posts, read 541,989 times
I don't see the problem. He got a tattoo of a girlfriend's name, so now he'll have to try for somebody who's okay with that tattoo. Or he'll have to come up with a lot of money to get the tattoo removed (I can't bring myself to mention a cover-up for a neck tattoo). Either way, it's a perfectly logical flow of events that he initiated with that tattoo.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
LOL What a 21st century issue! LMAO

I'll never face that matter because I can't stand tattoos (on a woman). Call me old-fashioned, but I could care less.

Some might see them as hip and artsy, but previously, only trucker women and sleazy/skanky women had tats. I see no reason to upgrade their acceptability. Natural and untainted beauty is infinitely better to me.

I guess this thread is the reverse, tats on a man, but they still seem dumb and unnecessary. They're more of a mark of foolishness than a mark of intelligence.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-19-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-19-2018, 09:30 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
I like tattoos in general, but there is a line you gotta draw somewhere.

Neck tattoos in general will normally be way over that line, for me.

My ex had the name of his first wife tattooed on a bicep. Eventually he asked me to draw something to cover it up with. Now he has my art on his bicep, and we are divorced. Wonder which bugs him more, that, or the fact he got our "wedding ring" tattooed on his finger. I didn't think it was a smart move at the time, but he wouldn't listen to me.

I have some personal rules about tattoos for myself...
1. Think about it. There's no rush. I normally contemplate tattoos for at least a year before I get them done.
2. Placement. I want them where I can easily cover them up, or show them off, depending on what I want. I have ink on my ribs, and on one thigh. When I'm dressed for work, you'd never know. If I want to show 'em, I can.
3. Nothing to do with any person who is now living. Not a name, portrait, etc. The only ink I have connected to a human being is a portrait I got done of my Great Aunt, after she passed away. It was done from a picture taken when she was about 20 and looked like a vintage Hollywood actress, it's beautiful. And I know that relationship will never change...she's dead.

Thing is, getting a tattoo (in my opinion) should be treated like a major life choice, since it is permanent, and it can affect your future and your life opportunities. Tattoos that don't seem "smart" for whatever reason (placement, content, etc)...I judge someone for that, because if they make poor life choices, do I really want to tie my life to theirs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships