Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times

Advertisements

Never understood the whole lowering standards thing because I feel it accomplishes nothing. Just the thought of it is very depressing.

What's the point of being in a relationship if it's not with someone you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 AM

19 posts, read 42,535 times
The whole lowering your standards bit is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Are people that pathetic that they desperately need someone, anyone, to occupy their time because they are such losers they can't find anything fun/productive to do themselves?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Lowered my standards and it's hard to find someone, I had better luck with high standards
Go back to your other standards, then. Why not just do what works and carry on, rather than starting a thread announcing it?

Old 05-15-2014, 01:27 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,418,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like the exact opposite would be true.
Maybe when you're true to yourself you attract those you most resonate with?

When you are honest with yourself, you are likely to meet people along the same wavelength.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Go back to your other standards, then. Why not just do what works and carry on, rather than starting a thread announcing it?
I know your question is mostly rhetorical, so I guess I'll make with the rhetoric.

Based on a quick glance at his posting history, I suspect that the OP believes that looks are more linear than they really are, and that when people suggest that a person change his or her standards, that always means lowering them, which means settling, which of course is an abomination. I mean it's right there in Leviticus next to the proscription on marring the edges of your beard.

So his experience provides empirical evidence in support of the old testament. Maybe.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Never understood the whole lowering standards thing because I feel it accomplishes nothing. Just the thought of it is very depressing.

What's the point of being in a relationship if it's not with someone you want?
You can take that attitude and probably be single your whole life if that is what you want. Who is to say if you lower your standards it will be with someone you do not want? Many people with high standards are going find themselves in their late 30's single and wondering why they are still single.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:59 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You can take that attitude and probably be single your whole life if that is what you want. Who is to say if you lower your standards it will be with someone you do not want? Many people with high standards are going find themselves in their late 30's single and wondering why they are still single.
Slightly lower sounds better

Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Which standards did you lower? Looks? Personality? Intelligence? Employment status? Lowering standards on looks can pay off. Giving up your standards on personality is asking for trouble.
OP has never answered this question. I've heard of cases where men lowered their standards on looks, and discovered wonderful personalities with happy marriages being the result. So the lowering of some standards and not others could pay off.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,863 times
There is not a single woman on this earth, that will accept a man who settles for her. Every woman wants a man who will cherish her. Lowering standards is a sign of desperation, and desperate men do very poorly in the dating world. Here is an idea, forget about standards and leagues, because they do not exist. Get this, if you approach the most attractive woman in any environment, you automatically become more attractive to all other women in said environment. It tells them that you are confident, don't believe in nonsensical fantasy concepts like leagues and aren't afraid to go after something that you really want. Even if there is a high chance she may turn you down, your success with other women there is now much more likely, especially if you demonstrate how well you can handle rejection. Learn the game or remain the AFC, like 80% of single male population.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Maybe when you're true to yourself you attract those you most resonate with?

When you are honest with yourself, you are likely to meet people along the same wavelength.
Yes, I think this is true and a good point. I know I've had a lower success rate the times I've attempted to go for women whom society might deem to be "lower class" than me or in some cases even less attractive than me. It could have been because we didn't have as many common experiences to talk about, or maybe our cultures or values weren't in-line with each other as much. I've had a higher success rate with women who are more highly educated, have stable careers, come from stable families, take care of themselves physically and emotionally, etc.-- basically women who one might stereotypically think would be "harder to get."

This is one reason why I think the whole idea of "leagues" is not as legit as some make it out to be.

Last edited by nearnorth; 05-15-2014 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships