Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,920,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sex Money Murda View Post
Probably a byproduct of being with a girly girl but she loves talking about her feelings. I'm pretty evn tempered and don't really express dramatic emotions. I'm not very lovey dovey because I can't take myself seriously doing that but now she complains that I don't show my love for her. Quite frankly if I didn;tcare for her I would leave. Wht are your takes on it?
Quote:
I just feel ridiculous trying to be affectionate, I feel weak and what not.
men are from mars, and women are from venus. understand this;

1: men tend to be action oriented, women tend to be emotionally oriented.

2: men tend to be hunters, women the gatherers

she needs you to open up to her about your feelings, and there is no crime in that, it doesnt make you weak. and there are ways to show her you care without getting to open. for instance on your way home form work one day, buy her a rose, just because its thursday. or head over to jareds and pick up one of their charm braclets that you can occasionally add a charm to , again just because its tuesday.

and verbally letting her know how you feel is also a good thing, but you dont have to open up and spill everything. women do like a bit of mystery in their man.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:36 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,570,105 times
Quote:
Probably a mix of societal conditioning and how I'm wired. Back in HS guys who wrote love letter and all that cliche crap were made fun of severely. The culture of where I;'m from encourages guys to be stoic and macho and what not.
Societal conditioning rarely encourages you to be truly authentic. These people (in high school and out there in general) have plenty to say, but will not be there to console you when their opinions and advice fail you. If this is how you truly are, so be it. There are plenty of people out there like you who don't need all kinds of affection and communication. But if you have any kind of urge to be more open, nurture it. Let it just be. If it becomes too much, someone will let you know. But to shut down in order to keep up with "society" is self defeating.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
Quote:
Probably a mix of societal conditioning and how I'm wired. Back in HS guys who wrote love letter and all that cliche crap were made fun of severely. The culture of where I;'m from encourages guys to be stoic and macho and what not.
Love letters aren't the only way to show affection. Touch her more often. Cuddle with her. If you think she looks good - tell her. If you she does something that you appreciate - tell her. If you miss her - tell her. Leave her a post it somewhere with a happy face on it. Leave her a flower on her pillow. Buy her her favorite candy bar. There are so many little things you can do to show affection. Take baby steps until you start to feel comfortable.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,776,870 times
OP:

Please do not be like my father who told me this when I was a teenager...

I asked him why he does not show my mom, his wife, any love and affection.

His reply...

Love and affection are overrated.

They were married in 1964. Beginning in the 1970's he began "checking out" of their marriage... Very little affection, very little love.

My mom was the opposite.

I am too.

I realized as a teenager that I would not want to date a guy like my father much less get involved in a relationship with a guy like my father.

They divorced in the mid 1980's.

I could not be your girlfriend if I was your age.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:37 PM

32 posts, read 36,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Love letters aren't the only way to show affection. Touch her more often. Cuddle with her. If you think she looks good - tell her. If you she does something that you appreciate - tell her. If you miss her - tell her. Leave her a post it somewhere with a happy face on it. Leave her a flower on her pillow. Buy her her favorite candy bar. There are so many little things you can do to show affection. Take baby steps until you start to feel comfortable.
I'll keep that in mind.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:43 PM

250 posts, read 329,282 times
Sometimes men don't trust their SO with their feelings.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
I just feel ridiculous trying to be affectionate, I feel weak and what not.
Sounds like a personal problem. You should seek out some help for that if you can't overcome this on your own.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
Quote:
Probably a byproduct of being with a girly girl but she loves talking about her feelings. I'm pretty evn tempered and don't really express dramatic emotions. I'm not very lovey dovey because I can't take myself seriously doing that but now she complains that I don't show my love for her. Quite frankly if I didn;tcare for her I would leave. Wht are your takes on it?
What are you against? Holding hands? Hugging? Giving compliments?

What DO you do that would be considered loving or caring for someone?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-30-2014, 09:26 PM

32 posts, read 36,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What are you against? Holding hands? Hugging? Giving compliments?

What DO you do that would be considered loving or caring for someone?
Sex and being there.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
This takes douchebaggery to a whole new level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships