Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 PM

323 posts, read 309,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
If anything, making a lot could be a negative.

A lot of guys would not date a woman who made more than them.

I'm not like that exactly, but I wouldn't like to marry a woman who makes way more than me. I'd feel she has too much power over me.
There are rare cases like this.

Mostly, though, women won't even consider a guy that makes less than them. It's part of why the female doctors mentioned earlier have such a hard time, whereas the girl making $10 an hour has almost unlimited potential dates.

Think of this as a pyramid. (Most) Men will consider a match in either direction. So basically they have the entire pyramid as potential dates/partners/whatever.

Women, OTOH, generally won't consider anyone at or below their level. So if the pyramid is divided into 100 levels, and she's on 10, she has 11-100 as potential partners (though realistically it's probably closer to 15-100, maybe 20-100). If she's on 50, then 51+ (again, probably actually 65+). Now imagine she's on level 95. That leaves only 96-100, and since a pyramid gets smaller as you go up, that means there are only a few above her level. If there are 100 on level 1, 99 on 2, 98 on 3, etc., since she's limited to 96-100, that leaves....15 men. And the gal on 10? Well, the math is disgusting and I don't want to do it. I'm sure you can use some kind of function to come up with a number but college was a few years ago.

Anyway, OP, to answer your question: Attractiveness and a good personality will (generally) go a LOT farther with guys than a six-digit income. We just don't care.

Generally. Personally I even when I was willing to bother with females, I wouldn't fool with waitresses, gas station clerks, Walmart employees, or anyone else making minimum wage (or below, in the case of waitresses in most states). I'm not an ATM, so she'd better have her own money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:17 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,726,761 times
I have never dated a man who cared.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 AM

818 posts, read 921,098 times
IMO , its gonna depend on 2 things , how old you are and how much money the man makes.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM

46 posts, read 208,170 times
Hmmm. This thread has really made me think. As a woman, I would like to say that I would not care what a man's income is. As long as he has a job, lives on his own and is not horribly in debt I would be fine. Now......after having to support my husband for the past few years (paying mortgage, cars, well everything), I would personally prefer someone at or close to my income level. Sadly, I feel that money is the root of issues in many marriages. I would never want to be my current position again. The sexiest thing is a man that brings something to the table. Ahhhh, memories. He's given up hope. I think at this point he is just comfortable knowing that I can hold everything down which is a bummer. I apologize for using this as a way to relieve my stress a bit. lol.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:39 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,763,896 times
I don't mind the money I make but I'm insecure about it in some ways because I don't make as much as other women my age.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:30 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,653,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I have never dated a man who cared.
Woman care a lot more about a mans income than the other way around . To a point if a guys goal in life is working fast food past 25/30 years of age and do it until he dies with no real goals woman view guys like that as losers IMO.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,653,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I don't mind the money I make but I'm insecure about it in some ways because I don't make as much as other women my age.
Stop saleing your self short . I think you can make up for it in other ways and not just sex . I know I need more out of GF than a warm place for my junk at night.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 PM

460 posts, read 984,639 times
I do care because of the cost of living is very high in San Francisco. Otherwise, not too much. Exorbitant spending is always something I look out for.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,272,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It really can depend Doll Eyes.

SOME men care about what a woman makes, but many men just care that she works and is responsible with whatever money she does have.
That is the case for me, just as long as she works it doesn't matter how much she makes, mainly because I'm not looking to get married or settle down, start a family yet, I'm still interested in casual dating

Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,904,008 times
When you read the threads about women paying for dates it seems like men must care more than they are willing to admit.

A woman who can pay for her share of restaurant dates, concerts, vacations, etc., is going to have to make a certain amount of money in order to be able to always pay her own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships