Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 03:17 PM

957 posts, read 1,062,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
When I used to work at the front desk of a gym, I would get hit on all the time by the members. This was in a very affluent area and many of the members were very successful. Some of them knew that I had a college degree and that I was pursuing a career in performing and some of them did not. I don't think they really cared.
I've been wanting to hit on the girl who works at my gym, I hate making the place I relax awkward though.

She came up and asked me what I thought about the placement of some equipment yesterday, not sure if that was an invite or she was looking for opinions on where to have them put the new cable machine. What do I muster? I just agreed with her and asked what else they're updating. I hope she doesn't notice me checking her out, I can't help it. I try to use the ol' 3-4 mirror method.

I'm sure she doesn't make a lot of money, but she's one of the most attractive women I've seen since moving to Vail.

Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,209,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
I've been wanting to hit on the girl who works at my gym, I hate making the place I relax awkward though.

She came up and asked me what I thought about the placement of some equipment yesterday, not sure if that was an invite or she was looking for opinions on where to have them put the new cable machine. What do I muster? I just agreed with her and asked what else they're updating. I hope she doesn't notice me checking her out, I can't help it. I try to use the ol' 3-4 mirror method.

I'm sure she doesn't make a lot of money, but she's one of the most attractive women I've seen since moving to Vail.

Lol.
I never felt that awkward after someone asked me out - but that's just me. I took it as a compliment and then just stayed friendly with them. It wasn't a big deal to me - but I can't guarantee that that's how everyone would react.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM

52,375 posts, read 52,836,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
If anything, I think they prefer the woman makes less than they do. Gives them a sense of control or power, and it makes women less intimidating to them, at least among the men my age.

I'm not sure how true this is, I've personally never met any woman that makes more money than me, but I wonder if I was dating women that did how I would deal.

I'd like to think I would handle it ok...

Edit to add... I didn't mean to come off as arrogant, I guess I just haven't met that many women.. LOL

Old 05-31-2014, 03:37 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,026,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not sure how true this is, I've personally never met any woman that makes more money than me, but I wonder if I was dating women that did how I would deal.

I'd like to think I would handle it ok...

You may not have dated a woman who made more, but I assure you, you have met one that has.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
You may not have dated a woman who made more, but I assure you, you have met one that has.
If I did she must have been a good person and wasn't showy with her money, as I'm pretty non-showy for the most part.

Think Jeff Lebowski......

Old 05-31-2014, 03:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,458,058 times
Quote:
If I did she must have been a good person and wasn't showy with her money, as I'm pretty non-showy for the most part.

Think Jeff Lebowski......

You look like the Dude? lol

Old 05-31-2014, 03:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,211,702 times
No guy is gonna turn down a woman because of her economic situation

Old 05-31-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You look like the Dude? lol

No, just the long hair and the goatee, with the overly casual dress... that's all... actually, I look nothing like Jeff Bridges.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:53 PM

13,680 posts, read 9,762,428 times
My views on this topic are going to incur opprobrium from both the "feminists" and "alpha male" camps, but here goes:

To me, culture and class are far more important than income. I'd be far more interested in the daughter of an ambassador or of a tenured university professor, who herself earned a degree in French Literature from Harvard, and now works part-time for a non-profit, still living with her parents… than a spunky high-school-graduate raised in a trailer, who got an online certificate in massage therapy, parlayed that into a successful business, and now owns a thriving chain of fitness-centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I know a number of women who have absolutely no career to speak of, let alone any kind of $ and are happily married to men who are quite high on the desirability scale.
It is entirely possible that these women are former young-professionals, with excellent education and good career prospects in their 20s. However, after marrying they chose the role of hostess-wife, supporting their husbands' careers instead of advancing their own. Fast forward 20 years, and they appear to have "absolutely no career".

Quote:
Me too. Lest I be impugned for being laughably pretentious, I'll say this: I live in a declining, rust-belt town, where the only lucrative employment is in my field, in my workplace. And our workplace is overwhelmingly male, overwhelmingly married, and overwhelmingly 50+.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:03 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,853,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

It is entirely possible that these women are former young-professionals, with excellent education and good career prospects in their 20s. However, after marrying they chose the role of hostess-wife, supporting their husbands' careers instead of advancing their own. Fast forward 20 years, and they appear to have "absolutely no career".
Lol. Career prospects means nothing these days.

Either you have a job where you make some $, or you had a job where you made some $.

Unless that woman had an MD and never used it, then yes, she had career prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships