Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:23 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,425,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
That is 100% true, but that also wasn't your question. Your question was what women consider harassment.

Yes, its still harassment wherever it happens. Just wanted to make the point which I've made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:28 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes, its still harassment wherever it happens. Just wanted to make the point which I've made.
Then don't say everything is "valid" except for the point of no meaning no at a bar, which is exactly what you did. Perhaps you worded incorrectly, no big deal.

It's good that you made the point, because that is exactly what women don't want the world to be like.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Then don't say everything is "valid" except for the point of no meaning no at a bar, which is exactly what you did. Perhaps you worded incorrectly, no big deal.

It's good that you made the point, because that is exactly what women don't want the world to be like.
Yes I did word it wrong. I am all for no harassment of women. Have very rarely done so in my life. I certainly don't put any woman on a pedestal though.
And have very rarely been harassed in my life, I guess being 6 foot 4 and muscular helps.

And my putting yourself in certain situations comment extends well beyond "bars". for example you attend a sleazy bar with a lot of gang members, bc they have a certain drink you like. When with a little homework, there may be other places or ways you may be able to get that drink, without the risk. That is just one example.

Its all about being smart.

Last edited by dave nz; 06-03-2014 at 06:14 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Yes I did word it wrong. I am all for no harassment of women. Have very rarely done so in my life. I certainly don't put any woman on a pedestal though.
And have very rarely been harassed in my life, I guess being 6 foot 4 and muscular helps.

And my putting yourself in certain situations comment extends well beyond "bars". for example you attend a sleazy bar with a lot of gang members, bc they have a certain drink you like. When with a little homework, there may be other places or ways you may be able to get that drink, without the risk. That is just one example.

Its all about being smart.
Yes I agree, but there was a time when a woman just being out in public un chaperoned was "putting yourself in a situation". And the attitude was, well you were asking for it. What do you expect from men when you put yourself in that situation.

I'm not familiar with this group or website but sounds like they are trying to change the general attitude even more. All individuals should be able to go about their business without the threat of harassment no matter what that business is or where it is. Doubt that will ever happen but its a good cause.

I am baffled that a intelligent adult human being cant tell the difference between civility and harassment. I can understand if a person is a bit intoxicated but otherwise it seems pretty obvious.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
You know the difference....one is when you don't like the guy and the other is when you do like the guy.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes I agree, but there was a time when a woman just being out in public un chaperoned was "putting yourself in a situation". And the attitude was, well you were asking for it. What do you expect from men when you put yourself in that situation.

I'm not familiar with this group or website but sounds like they are trying to change the general attitude even more. All individuals should be able to go about their business without the threat of harassment no matter what that business is or where it is. Doubt that will ever happen but its a good cause.

I am baffled that a intelligent adult human being cant tell the difference between civility and harassment. I can understand if a person is a bit intoxicated but otherwise it seems pretty obvious.
If I think of the most likely scenario, where a woman will get harrassed, just walking down the street going about her every day business. It would be when she is dressed proactively or revealing and is attractive or somewhat attractive.

Thats all it takes. Guys see her like that and their animal instincts take over. Put the same woman in classy business attire showing close to no skin and the results will be different.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:27 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
All valid. Except for the bolded. What do you expect if you frequent bars. Comes with the territory.
Shouldn't. What if all she wants to do is watch a game, not be harrassed?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
If I think of the most likely scenario, where a woman will get harrassed, just walking down the street going about her every day business. It would be when she is dressed proactively or revealing and is attractive or somewhat attractive.

Thats all it takes. Guys see her like that and their animal instincts take over. Put the same woman in classy business attire showing close to no skin and the results will be different.
Really? So we're back to the same old tired argument that a woman is asking for it and men are such neanderthals that they simply lose control of themselves, and thus women are to blame?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
You asked a woman the difference between attention and harassment, I answered.
I'm the one who asked. I'm a different poster from davenz.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Years ago at the grocery store the check out guy was nice, polite and conversational, (I had never been to that store I had just moved). That was attention and attentive.

He crossed the line to harassment when he took my phone number off my check and started calling my home.
Excellent example.

It also makes an important point: the line between attention and harassment is not nearly so fine as many people pretend it is. Obtaining someone's phone number without their permission and calling them at home is not subtle. It is pretty blatant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships