Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,673,384 times

Advertisements

I was reading an interesting article today about how growing income inequality is changing marriage patterns, causing more people to delay marriage or just give up on it entirely. The article talked about the gender bargain, which makes it sound like a negotiation between men and women to decide whether it's worth entering into marriage.

First, you have more men at the top making BIG, big money. They can afford to be picky and they have to be since they have so much to lose. Women at the top are also pickier for the same reason. Now it's about finding a partner who enhances your position. One high income could get you a decent house in a nice suburb. But two 6 figure incomes means you can live in a really big house and put your kids in private school.

Then you have people who went to college, but aren't making big money. Plus they have massive student loans to pay off. So they put off getting married and having kids until they can get out of debt. Meanwhile, the high earner whose parents paid for school doesn't have to wait. He can get married now if he wants to. A friend of mine jokes that student debt is the best form of birth control.

Lastly, you've got people at the bottom. They're struggling to find jobs making it harder to plan a future together since you don't know whether you'll have a job next month or need to move to another city to find work. How many women are going to want to marry a guy who's out of work one month and working a dead end job the next? How many are going to want to start a family with that person?

So the article posed an interesting question. Do you think marriage has become or is on the verge of becoming a luxury that only wealthy people can afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,642,990 times
I don't think so- not at all. If anything, if two people who are both struggling financially are in love and want to spend their lives together, it benefits them to get married because they can pool their resources and share expenses. I don't see marriage actually COSTING money at all, so it would never be a luxury type of item that a certain segment of the population has to miss out on.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:09 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,289,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I don't think so- not at all. If anything, if two people who are both struggling financially are in love and want to spend their lives together, it benefits them to get married because they can pool their resources and share expenses. I don't see marriage actually COSTING money at all, so it would never be a luxury type of item that a certain segment of the population has to miss out on.
This. I actually had a discussion about this recently with a friend and he said the same thing.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 AM

2,826 posts, read 4,006,251 times
No, you can get married in Vegas for a few bucks...

Old 06-05-2014, 10:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,120,090 times
Quote:

Young people are doing that already (in most places I've lived, which admittedly, are generally high COL area) by having roommates into their late 20s and often mid 30s. With marriage, people are generally only doing that with one person, instead of 2-3.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,822,664 times
Quote:
It could be argued that two people could just move in together and do the same thing without getting married. I think people tend to do that as well. Of course, there are certain tax and legal benefits (like being able to share a spouce's health insurance--it's cheaper to have one policy with two people on it than two policies... that kind of thing). But I don't think a lot of people think much beyond basic income and expenses... they don't think about these "hidden" income boosters.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:28 AM

11,412 posts, read 9,337,779 times
Quote:
Do you think marriage has become or is on the verge of becoming a luxury that only wealthy people can afford?
I do not. But I do find it very sad that the middle class has eroded which started in the 1980s.

I so can't relate to a luxury, more room than anyone needs, house and expensive automobiles. If I suddenly struck it rich I would give most of my money away to people that really need it. I only want to live very modestly. No desire for exotic vacations or cruises either.

I never wanted children but I understand the desire other humans have who want them. If the couple can't make 75K between them (50K in less populated areas) with adequate health insurance they need to forget it. I do not consider that "big money" but it is necessary to earn that in order to give children a decent life.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,788,266 times
OP why didn't you post a link to the article?

It seems to make sense but this uber-practical vision of human relations as 'gender bargains' or like mutually advantageous business arrangements is repugnant. I get we're all expected to sacrifice ourselves to the machine in order to get what we're all supposed to want, but surely there is more to being alive and loving each other than the prospect of scoring an extra $100k.

I swear to god it must be Milton Friedman himself writing these articles from beyond the grave.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM

323 posts, read 309,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I was reading an interesting article today about how growing income inequality
*facepalm*

Quote:
is changing marriage patterns, causing more people to delay marriage or just give up on it entirely.
There's a bit more to it than that, and even the piece of the puzzle they've got hold of isn't what they think it is.

Quote:
The article talked about the gender bargain, which makes it sound like a negotiation between men and women to decide whether it's worth entering into marriage.
Basically, it is. She's trading her youthful beauty and fertility for his resources.

Quote:
First, you have more men at the top making BIG, big money. They can afford to be picky and they have to be since they have so much to lose.
I don't know about the first sentence, but the second is spot on.

Quote:
Women at the top are also pickier for the same reason.
Negative, Ghostrider. The vast majority of women have no interest whatsoever in a guy that makes less than them. Period, full stop. The higher they are on that pyramid, the fewer men there are above them.

Quote:
Then you have people who went to college, but aren't making big money. Plus they have massive student loans to pay off. So they put off getting married and having kids until they can get out of debt.
This only applies to men. Women can pawn their debt off on men in divorce. It's interesting....no, that's not the word I'm looking for....CRIMINAL, that's the one.....how the divorce industry works in the western countries.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the high earner whose parents paid for school doesn't have to wait. He can get married now if he wants to. A friend of mine jokes that student debt is the best form of birth control.
Heh, good one. If your friend is smart he'll keep those loans forever. Debt isn't a good thing, unless it keeps you from making bad decisions.

Quote:
Lastly, you've got people at the bottom. They're struggling to find jobs making it harder to plan a future together since you don't know whether you'll have a job next month or need to move to another city to find work. How many women are going to want to marry a guy who's out of work one month and working a dead end job the next? How many are going to want to start a family with that person?
Eh. I don't think I can really agree with this. Those on the bottom tend to be there for a reason, and those reasons TEND to be lack of intelligence and education. Perfect candidates for marriage. Plus the bottom is where the thugs, jocks, criminals, and other riffraff (you know, those "OMG SO HAWT!" guys that are the only ones that are wanted before a woman is 30) tend to be. A lot of them still buy into the "Man up and marry her cuz she's pregnant" nonsense.

Quote:
So the article posed an interesting question. Do you think marriage has become or is on the verge of becoming a luxury that only wealthy people can afford?
I don't know if it's becoming a luxury. I kind of hope it is.

Either way, the marriage rate is in a tailspin, declining more and more every year. I doubt anything can be done at this point to reverse that, and hope no one tries.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,240,420 times
I don't know but everyone keeps talking about how fewer and fewer people are getting married - and all I see around me is people getting married...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships