Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,525,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't know but everyone keeps talking about how fewer and fewer people are getting married - and all I see around me is people getting married...

Agreed. If I believed stuff on message boards about marriage, I would think wedding chapels were closing, bakers were losing money, because there were less wedding cakes to make and Daves Bridal was going out of business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,215,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Agreed. If I believed stuff on message boards about marriage, I would think wedding chapels were closing, bakers were losing money, because there were less wedding cakes to makem and Daves Bridal was going out of business
I know. And most of my friends have gotten married in the last 10 years or so - and my Facebook feed is constantly blowing up with wedding pics and anniversaries.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
I don't know but everyone keeps talking about how fewer and fewer people are getting married - and all I see around me is people getting married...

Well, the census data pretty clearly shows continually decline in marriage rates. Though it is plateauing for educated folks.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:28 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,215,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, the census data pretty clearly shows continually decline in marriage rates. Though it is plateauing for educated folks.
I would say that almost all of the people in my social circles have college degrees - so that could be part of it. All I know is that most of my friends are married - not all - but the majority. Point being that I don't think that marriage is dying out or becoming obsolete.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 AM

Most of my friends have undergrad/grad degrees, and a minority are married, but, of course, that is a self selecting thing too. People tend to associate with other similar types. Few of my college friends married, and not a lot of my high school friends did either.

New census in 6 years, we'll see!

Old 06-05-2014, 11:42 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,816,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXI View Post
*facepalm*

This only applies to men. Women can pawn their debt off on men in divorce. It's interesting....no, that's not the word I'm looking for....CRIMINAL, that's the one.....how the divorce industry works in the western countries.
Actually, no one man or woman can pawn off pre-marriage debt in a divorce. Just like pre-maritial assets are not part of a divorce. Where you run into trouble on pre-marital debts and assets (and why you need a pre-nup for these) is if you die and you want your premarital assets to go to someone else (like a child of a former marriage).

Where you get in trouble with assets in a marriage is if you marry someone who is "financially immature" and doesn't understand assets, debts, budgets, investments, etc.

Quote:
That may be the case, but overall, marriage rates are declining. The main reason is the economy according to Forbes. That might be why you see friends marrying now as things are getting better. But for a lot of people, the economy is still in a slump and their personal finances are dismal.

Another reason the marriage rate is "declining" is because sometimes they measure the rate among younger people only. In that case, it's because people are getting married at an older age.

Quote:

Overall, only half of all adults in the United States are married, a record low. The portion that has “ever” been married is 72 percent, but that’s down from 85 percent a half century ago. And the median age at first marriage is as high as it’s ever been since the Census Bureau first published statistics: 26.5 years for brides, and 28.7 for grooms. That’s six years older for men and women today than in 1960.

The Pew report says “it is beyond the scope” of its analysis to explain why marriage has declined, but it offers a few hints. More young people are enrolled in college, long a factor in delaying marriage. “Fallout from the Great Recession” is also likely a factor...

It’s also well-known that the percentage of young people unemployed is higher than for adults overall — another factor that would discourage tying the knot. In fact, the report notes that other developed nations, especially in Europe, are also seeing the same trend — countries that are struggling economically.

Woodruff: Why Are Marriage Rates in Sharp Decline? | The Rundown | PBS NewsHour

Another interesting tidbit from Scientific American, now that more women have options (other than being a housewife) marriage is less appealing. U.S. Marriage Rates Keep Declining - Scientific American

Quote:

In the 1920s, 92 women walked down the aisle each year per 1,000 single women of marrying age. Today, it's a third that. Marriage rates were expected to plateau in the wake of the baby boom, but so far they just keep dropping... many college-educated women are simply putting off getting hitched, and many (sic) women might be foregoing it altogether.
Quote:
(Why are marriage rates dropping)? The answer depends on whom you ask, but almost every expert points in part to the women’s liberation movement of the late 1960s and ’70s. As more women earned college degrees, entered the workforce and delayed motherhood, marriage became less necessary for their economic survival.
U.Va. psychology professor Robert Emery says that, in the past, people thought of marriage as “more of a businesslike relationship.” Women often received financial support from their husbands and women often provided household and child-rearing labor. Marriage rates fell and divorce rates rose when people started thinking less with their wallets and more with their hearts.
http://uvamagazine.org/articles/the_marriage_crisis

I've also read that a decline in religion has a lot to do with it as well. But I can't find those articles right now. But it makes sense. Marriage is often seen as a religious event (weddings in a church) so the less religious a society is, the less religious customs they have.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I've also read that a decline in religion has a lot to do with it as well. But I can't find those articles right now. But it makes sense. Marriage is often seen as a religious event (weddings in a church) so the less religious a society is, the less religious customs they have.

This is seen throughout Western Europe. The U.S. is still a very culturally conservative and very religious country.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
Its not a rich man luxury its by not marrying that he will stay rich

Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,816,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This is seen throughout Western Europe. The U.S. is still a very culturally conservative and very religious country.
Maybe that's part of why their marriage rate is lower then (even if the economies of the US and Europe are similar). Food for thought really.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:00 PM

11,395 posts, read 9,317,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Actually, no one man or woman can pawn off pre-marriage debt in a divorce. Just like pre-maritial assets are not part of a divorce. Where you run into trouble on pre-marital debts and assets (and why you need a pre-nup for these) is if you die and you want your premarital assets to go to someone else (like a child of a former marriage).

Where you get in trouble with assets in a marriage is if you marry someone who is "financially immature" and doesn't understand assets, debts, budgets, investments, etc.

That may be the case, but overall, marriage rates are declining. The main reason is the economy according to Forbes. That might be why you see friends marrying now as things are getting better. But for a lot of people, the economy is still in a slump and their personal finances are dismal.

Another reason the marriage rate is "declining" is because sometimes they measure the rate among younger people only. In that case, it's because people are getting married at an older age.

Woodruff: Why Are Marriage Rates in Sharp Decline? | The Rundown | PBS NewsHour

Another interesting tidbit from Scientific American, now that more women have options (other than being a housewife) marriage is less appealing. U.S. Marriage Rates Keep Declining - Scientific American

But marriage has been secularized ages ago, no? I've met several atheist couples through the years.

I'm only seeing a very small change that the United States is becoming less religious. By that I mean non-believers. I currently do not know a single atheist.

My ex and I (both atheists) were married in a courthouse. One does not have to marry in a church if they are the non religious type. I especially think marriage is a good idea if a couple wants to have children. Nothing religious about it anymore.

From the PBS link above I think this has more to do with the decline than anything else:
“Fallout from the Great Recession”

I think it's that and the obvious erosion of the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships