Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 AM

818 posts, read 920,595 times

Advertisements

Well it took a while but I finally got to see the true colors of the woman I was dating.( I had to break it off )
I posted about her a while back, she's a teller at my bank and she used her position to contact me by looking up my phone number. We started going out and seemed to really hit it off. It seemed to good to be true ( and was ) ,I tried to slow it down but she didn't want to.

Out of the blue she starts getting angry over nothing and trying to twist things I said into something totally untrue. It was like she was a completely different person. ( we are both over 40 but she was acting very weird and childish)
It turns out , when she was 15 her boyfriend was killed in a car accident when she was with him.She never went to therapy or had any type of counseling so I think this still affects her.

How do people hold it together so well at first ? Is there any way to spot it early ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:21 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,744,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
Well it took a while but I finally got to see the true colors of the woman I was dating.( I had to break it off )
I posted about her a while back, she's a teller at my bank and she used her position to contact me by looking up my phone number. We started going out and seemed to really hit it off. It seemed to good to be true ( and was ) ,I tried to slow it down but she didn't want to.

Out of the blue she starts getting angry over nothing and trying to twist things I said into something totally untrue. It was like she was a completely different person. ( we are both over 40 but she was acting very weird and childish)
It turns out , when she was 15 her boyfriend was killed in a car accident when she was with him.She never went to therapy or had any type of counseling so I think this still affects her.

How do people hold it together so well at first ? Is there any way to spot it early ?
Good rule of thumb: The person is going to be on their best behavior with you, at first, because they want you. Interestingly enough at this point they will be what is closer to their real selves with others around them. So observe how he or she treats wait staff, service personnel, their fellow motorists, their relatives and heck, even their dog. Observe how they handle good fortune that comes into their life...as well as bad fortune. These things tend to tell the tale. In your post, you mention that you wanted to go slow, she wanted to go fast. When your date wants to rush intimacy, or the pace of the relationship...they want you hooked so it will be harder to get away once the flaws are revealed. They don't trust that you would hang around even if you observed the flaws over time.

Your more emotionally healthy people are determined to take it slow starting out. I've never heard of a "whirlwind romance" that ever worked out quite right. Guard your heart. Don't give it away so fast, and don't let a good sexual experience with that person do your thinking for you either. Good luck.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:05 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,411,874 times
A persons true colors will always show within time. You might be fooled for the moment, but be patient and see what happens.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 31,006,746 times
Everyone is crazy

Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 AM

943 posts, read 1,006,641 times
I'd like to add a few thoughts, I have been studying this myself for a while. And actually, Burglers comment was kind of correct. Whatever makes you YOU is going to attract or not attract certain kinds of people. Sometimes its opposite behaviors or habits and sometimes its the same kind of things.
The kind of woman who lacks the professional etiquette and moral judgment to know whether or not to use her position at her job for her personal reasons-such as getting your phone number. Well, she ran the risk of losing her job for one thing. You could have reported her as that is a breach of your right to privacy.
I guess in this case that was your first clue.
Other things are subtle, can I suggest that you do some more reading and learning about this? Just google something like personality disorders. And start there. Learn about traits that you know you don't want to have in your life...

Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
she's a teller at my bank and she used her position to contact me by looking up my phone number. Huge red flag many of us warned you about in your previous thread.

I tried to slow it down but she didn't want to. Another sign = ignoring YOUR feelings

Out of the blue she starts getting angry over nothing and trying to twist things I said into something totally untrue. Yet another sign.
I would say all of these are early warning signs. Consider yourself educated.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,255,574 times
Unfortunately there is no manual that everyone is carrying around and you don't have that one page which prevents you from going through the 'experience.'

Look at it this way. We date to see what we do and do not want in another person and there will always be some dysfunction at all levels. You get to determine what you can and can't live with and it's completely different than what someone else can and can't.

All the people we interact with just give us another day of experience in life.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,302,953 times
You had the first row seat based on how she came stalking you. Most of us saw it a huge red flag including yourself, when you said its too good to be true.

Sometimes what seems too good really happens to be true, but in this case its the way she approached you> at the expense of universal professionalism. Additionally, she kept you in check on her personal list while she was still in a marriage> the sign of hazard.
You would have spot them if you wanted, must be the unusual attention that blinded your judgement.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 AM

102,315 posts, read 108,515,277 times
This is exactly why it's important to take things slowly in the beginning, no matter what the other person wants.

Also, the fact that she looked you up in breach of professional ethics was a red flag. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:41 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,210,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Everyone is crazy
Lol I believe as usual you nailed it, burgler.

Everyone is a little crazy,
a little unusual, a little quirky-
And if they're too perfect to admit it,
they're lying, lol

As Jason Mraz puts it--
There's no shame in being crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships