Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,653,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I went out to dinner with a former co-worker of mine a week ago. He has been working in the U.S. for the past few months and is moving back to Europe in two weeks. Other than having drinks together a couple months back and exchanging some instant messages here and there, we really haven’t spent time together. Anyway, the other night we had dinner and when the bill came he took it and paid. I tried to pay but he said it was ok. So, I thanked him and we ended our night.

In my mind, that meant nothing other than he was just being nice. When I mentioned it to my male roommate, he said that the guy is just trying to get on my nice side so that when he wants to make a move, he can do so easily. Again, this guy is leaving for Europe in two weeks. Forever. I will likely see him one more time to say bye before he leaves. He has never shown any romantic interest in me whatsoever.

The only reason I bring this up is because every time a male friend does something nice, my roommate makes a comment about the guy wanting more than friendship. Is it true that a majority of men only befriend women and do nice things for them because they are hoping that one day it will progress beyond friendship?
No, it's not true. If your roommate keeps saying so, that tells me two things. Either he's jealous or he's speaking for himself and assuming all men think like him. I feel sorry for your roommate. Sounds like he has a very cynical attitude about men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,905,365 times
I have a question. If every time a man does something for a woman he's trying to get something, what does it mean if does the exact same type of things for another man?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,206,877 times
Default It depends

....on the man.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,306,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I have a question. If every time a man does something for a woman he's trying to get something, what does it mean if does the exact same type of things for another man?
It means he's trying to sleep with the guy's wife.....

Old 06-05-2009, 11:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 11,198,241 times
Quote:
I went out to dinner with a former co-worker of mine a week ago. He has been working in the U.S. for the past few months and is moving back to Europe in two weeks. Other than having drinks together a couple months back and exchanging some instant messages here and there, we really haven’t spent time together. Anyway, the other night we had dinner and when the bill came he took it and paid. I tried to pay but he said it was ok. So, I thanked him and we ended our night.

In my mind, that meant nothing other than he was just being nice. When I mentioned it to my male roommate, he said that the guy is just trying to get on my nice side so that when he wants to make a move, he can do so easily. Again, this guy is leaving for Europe in two weeks. Forever. I will likely see him one more time to say bye before he leaves. He has never shown any romantic interest in me whatsoever.

The only reason I bring this up is because every time a male friend does something nice, my roommate makes a comment about the guy wanting more than friendship. Is it true that a majority of men only befriend women and do nice things for them because they are hoping that one day it will progress beyond friendship?
Sounds like your roommate is the one with the issue.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 PM

2,923 posts, read 2,586,919 times
Quote:

One word: Y E S!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 16,777 times
your room mate is so so protective, meaning he has been looking at your curves, if other guys dont keep freinds without expecting somthing else, he is also other guys that cant keep a room mate without creeping over her activities & dates.. there are men that do keep female freinds, help them, give them money, employ them, give them good connection without demanding for the said next level.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:24 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,841,316 times
Not always.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,675,708 times
This thread is 6 years old but I read it. I think some guys just like fantasizing about being with a woman and that's all he wants for whatever reason, but if she gets another man, then the fantasy he's been enjoying so much will be ruined so he might try to block that.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,633,328 times
Quote:

I think in many cases they do in hopes of getting some action from her. If not consciously then subconsciously even if they try to convince everyone and themselves of the opposite. As long as they don't make any unwanted advances towards her I see nothing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships