Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:48 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,024,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Personally, I don't think that age is just a number. It's more than that. Yes - someone can be mature for their age and someone can be immature for their age - but their age still plays a role in who they are. I have friends of all ages - but if I'm going to date someone, I would still like to know how old they are. And yes, their age would influence how I feel about them. If I get the sense that someone is a bit immature - it's one thing if we are both 22. He'll probably grow out of it in some ways. However, if I'm 22 and he's 35 and he's a bit immature - that's a different story.

To add to this, age also represents stage in life. I'm mid 30's, mid career, have gained responsibilities (child), have changed my career to retirement focus. My 24 year old coworker cannot relate to me on these items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 06:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Personally I notice, when I am chatting with some guys in their mid 20s give or take. The run for the hills when they find out I am in my 30s. It is actually pretty hilarious. I am talking like after having a genuine 20 minute convo. So I don't think age is just a number for some people.

It might be funnier when I talk to someone my age, who thought I was younger and then look shocked when they find out we are the same age.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,900,531 times
State your age and they should theirs.Yes a younger person can be further in life and an older person can learn from them and vice versa.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:05 PM

18,147 posts, read 15,717,350 times
I've got this challenge right now. I have a crush (yes, I said the 'c' word...inside I'm like 14 yrs old) on a male coworker who is much younger than me. Specifically he is 17 years younger. I happen to look very young for my age and most people have no idea my real age unless I tell them. And, some men look older than their biological age (gray hair starting to appear, etc).

Anyway, I'm new at the company. I sensed a spark with this guy when we were chatting one day. It was like a physical electrical spark. After I walked away I was like "whoa...what the heck was that?" The following week we had a company event and he made a point of coming right over to where I was sitting, sitting down across from me and chatting me up for about 30 min. I thought, "Ok I am not imagining this..." I felt the spark again.

I don't see him very often at work. Maybe once a week, if that. He has made no other attempts to be near me or look for reasons to come talk to me. We're in the same building but on different floors. I've initiated a couple friendly chats with him and it's obvious I like him.

Even though there's a significant age difference, it doesn't feel like it when there's that spark happening. Of course I could have been imagining something since he's showing no follow-up. I happen to know he's been separated for about 10 months and heading toward divorce and that's dicey for anyone. He also has 1 child.

I'll be honest--I'm disappointed he doesn't seem interested, but it's not like I should be surprised. Work things are never a good idea anyway. But darn it would be nice to have a mutual crush, you know?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,373,362 times
I think whether or not an age difference is an obstacle would depend upon the individuals who are involved. Some people are much more mature at age 25 than others. And on the other hand, some people are in their 50s and still operate at the same emotional level as many teenagers.

I think personally, age is more than just a number. That doesn't make it an insurmountable obstacle for every relationship. It's just worth recognizing that there are a lot of stages in life. Some people are more comfortable dating people who are in roughly the same place in life.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,150,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I've got this challenge right now. I have a crush (yes, I said the 'c' word...inside I'm like 14 yrs old) on a male coworker who is much younger than me. Specifically he is 17 years younger. I happen to look very young for my age and most people have no idea my real age unless I tell them. And, some men look older than their biological age (gray hair starting to appear, etc).

Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,139 times
I've known men to freak out when they realised that the woman they were attracted to / dating was older than they thought.

I think many guys think age is very important -- in a partner. It's only their own age that is 'just a number' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships