Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 03:17 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times

Advertisements

I love my boyfriend but for awhile now I have not necessarily wanted to be single but some of the perks of being single back.

I'm 24, I'm young with no kids yet the only time I get alone is my drive to and from work and in the bathroom, only at work though, we only have one bathroom and some times we both are in there.

I want to be able to sprawl out in bed and not have to sleep so cooped up.
I want to be able to have time by myself. I never get that.

It's so frustrating to never have time by myself.

I never get to go out either. I want to just be able to go hang out with my friends when I want, sprawl out in bed and just have some time alone. I can't keep going on like this because I'm miserable.

I don't necessarily want to break up but I need a little space and I don't know how to tell him this.

I'm also in a tough situation, he's been taking care of me for the past 7 weeks after a car accident in which I spent 5 days in the ICU, had surgery and I fractured my chest, back and foot.

I don't want him to think im ungrateful.
It's been a long time building way before the accident. With the stress of the accident I just can't take anymore.

I think a break would be nice, we have a house, there's a second bed, we have two tvs, big flat screens he could set something up at home.

I want him to get a job and get serious about being in a relationship with me, I don't want a mooch who freeloads and then complains about everything I do, ask me to change stuff I do and in general adds to my stress. We don't agree on anything right now and he and I argue about everything.

How do I tell him I'd like a break for a bit because I don't want to throw our relationship away but I need my space right now to work on myself and I want him to work on himself too. I can't keep feeling like I have to nag at him like my mom nagged me when I was living with her at 20. I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I love my boyfriend but for awhile now I have not necessarily wanted to be single but some of the perks of being single back.

I'm 24, I'm young with no kids yet the only time I get alone is my drive to and from work and in the bathroom, only at work though, we only have one bathroom and some times we both are in there.

I want to be able to sprawl out in bed and not have to sleep so cooped up.
I want to be able to have time by myself. I never get that.

It's so frustrating to never have time by myself.

I never get to go out either. I want to just be able to go hang out with my friends when I want, sprawl out in bed and just have some time alone. I can't keep going on like this because I'm miserable.

I don't necessarily want to break up but I need a little space and I don't know how to tell him this.

I'm also in a tough situation, he's been taking care of me for the past 7 weeks after a car accident in which I spent 5 days in the ICU, had surgery and I fractured my chest, back and foot.

I don't want him to think im ungrateful.
It's been a long time building way before the accident. With the stress of the accident I just can't take anymore.

I think a break would be nice, we have a house, there's a second bed, we have two tvs, big flat screens he could set something up at home.

I want him to get a job and get serious about being in a relationship with me, I don't want a mooch who freeloads and then complains about everything I do, ask me to change stuff I do and in general adds to my stress. We don't agree on anything right now and he and I argue about everything.

How do I tell him I'd like a break for a bit because I don't want to throw our relationship away but I need my space right now to work on myself and I want him to work on himself too. I can't keep feeling like I have to nag at him like my mom nagged me when I was living with her at 20. I
Why don't you just set up the 2nd bedroom as a place where either of you can escape to watch whatever you want to watch on TV, take a nap, read a book, whatever?

I'd take this very slow if you don't want to break up. He's going to see this as you wanting to ditch him and he just spent considerable time helping you after a serious accident.

It is possible that this was building up before the accident, but serious health issues can affect a person's thinking.

Don't nag him. Encourage him. And... why can't you go out with friends now and then? You should be able to do that.... so should he.

The bathroom thing? I'd try to get some alone time in there.

Last edited by RedZin; 06-30-2014 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 03:25 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
One of you better find somewhere else to stay, because this isn't going to turn out well.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
This is what happens when you move in together too soon. Best left for relationships that are solid, well-tested and leading to marriage.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Didn't you both move together to a new town last year?

That makes it complicated, but not impossible.

Honestly, the best way to look at it is to imagine if HE felt this way about you. What would you want him to do??

You aren't doing him a favor by trying to "protect" his feelings and drag things out. There is no "slow" break-up.

I believe in the Band-aid approach. You need to tell him how you feel like you've told it here. His reaction will tell you a lot.

If he says he'll "work on" giving you space, etc., then count on an awkward period before you finally have to break up with him for real.

If he doesn't even have a job yet, I doubt he'll take the initiative to actually end things himself. But they need to end because the way you describe him isn't love. It's duty.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
This isn't sounding too healthy at the moment. Does he even know what you want? And if he does, what does he say about it?

Old 06-30-2014, 04:27 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,976,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This isn't sounding too healthy at the moment. Does he even know what you want? And if he does, what does he say about it?
No idea.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:31 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
One of you better find somewhere else to stay, because this isn't going to turn out well.
This. More than likely you will not be able to continue living together even as roommates.

Tell him that you are not happy and don't want to be together anymore. That should bridge into the who's going to live where and how.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,412,769 times
dont live together

and if possible only see each other 2-3 times a week that way you'll be excited when you see him and you can have some personal space

when people are on top of each other all the time it's not good, people need space and time to think and breath

alot of times men will say "will you please just sftu and gtf away from me and let me do my thing, damn..." in their minds and not say it out loud because you dont want to hurt feelings

Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM

377 posts, read 533,320 times
When you call your boyfriend a mooch, freeloader, or complainer, they aren't terms of endearment. Are you trying to get space, or are you trying to let him down slowly. In either case, sounds like you need the space, and that can't be accomplished without someone moving out.

You need to establish boundaries, such as number of calls per week, maybe toss him a bone for a date night once a month....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships