Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1w0n View Post
it depends on where she lives. In my area, you have to make 75K in order to rent a 2b2ba apartment with parking.

And where I live you need that for a 1br with no parking, but still, only a smallish subset of guys make that.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
A couple of things stand out to me - but I've never done OLD so take it with a grain of salt.

You are 39 but are looking for someone younger than you who looks even younger than they actually are… Why not look for people around your own age? It doesn't matter how young you look - you are how old you are. It's great that you think you look younger - but you ARE 39 and would probably have more in common with someone around your own age than someone in their late 20's. Just my two cents.

And the other thing- you make it sound like you think it's great that you don't have children - yet you said in one of your later posts that you want to get married and have a child before you turn 43. I wouldn't emphasize your happiness at not having children if you actually want to have children. I would say that you haven't started a family yet or something - because they way you have it worded - it sounds like you don't want children.
Yeah...

What OP needs to do is to state that she will date guys of any age (maybe set a cap at 45 or so, since she's 39), as long as they keep themselves in good shape and enjoy the types of activities she enjoys. If she gets responses from guys whose pics look too "old guy" for her, she can disregard those, but she might be missing out on a guy who is in his late 30s who is really ready to settle down and start a family right away.

Aiming for 25yo guys just because she feels like she looks the same age as them is backward thinking because not as many 25yo guys are ready to start a family as guys who are in their mid-late 30s and beyond.

Her tactics are iffy.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 AM

85 posts, read 59,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1w0n View Post
it depends on where she lives. In my area, you have to make 75K in order to rent a 2b2ba apartment with parking.
I live in a high cost of living city. 75K is a little below average for the area, especially for a man who is college educated and already established.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSunshine2020 View Post
I live in a high cost of living city. 75K is a little below average for the area, especially for a man who is college educated an already established.
That's another issue... college educated, already established, making a good (yet not really high) wage and really young at the same time will not click as often as the same criteria in a guy closer to your age.

Granted, I say this as a woman who married younger and my husband WAS established at a very young age and making more than the median income by far.

Guys like him (or girls, for that matter) aren't the norm.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Yeah...

What OP needs to do is to state that she will date guys of any age, as long as they keep themselves in good shape and enjoy the types of activities she enjoys. If she gets responses from guys whose pics look too "old guy" for her, she can disregard those, but she might be missing out on a guy who is in his late 30s who is really ready to settle down and start a family right away.

Aiming for 25yo guys just because she feels like she looks the same age as them is backward thinking because not as many 25yo guys are ready to start a family as guys who are in their mid-late 30s and beyond.

Her tactics are iffy.
I am interested in men my age, as long as they do not look old. I do agree with you that I should just open up the age preferences and weed out the ones who look too old, because I may be able to find a nice 39 year old who is relatively young looking, established and interested in a long term relationship.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:39 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
But I did state that he must be intelligent/professional, physically fit, health conscious and morally grounded, and that says a lot.

Which word would you suggest that I use in lieu of mate?
So when you find this morally grounded man are you not going to lie about your age? The irony is strong in this one....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And where I live you need that for a 1br with no parking, but still, only a smallish subset of guys make that.
LOL you don't happen to live in Bethesda, NYC or San Francisco?

Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I am interested in men my age, as long as they do not look old. I do agree with you that I should just open up the age preferences and weed out the ones who look too old, because I may be able to find a nice 39 year old who is relatively young looking, established and interested in a long term relationship.
Good call... and as I said when I edited my comment, go up a little above your age... 45? 43? something like that... it'll give the impression that you're not just looking for a younger guy. Because really? You might find the perfect guy who is 41 or some such. You just never know.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So when you find this morally grounded man are you not going to lie about your age? The irony is strong in this one....
No, I agree with everyone who stated that it is best to be honest. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

I dated a guy who lied about his college. He actually attended a good state school but felt insecure about his school, even though he was doing really well for himself.

It was a very minor lie, but I still felt deceived.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Honestly, if that was a guys profile I was reading, I wouldn't go out with him as that person doesn't sound like any fun. Too much on healthy eating (and I do eat healthy), no drinking, and other stuff....

I don't like profiles that "state" as opposed to "show". Not "I have a sense of humor" but having actual humor in the profile, and not "I like to travel" as opposed to "some of the best times I've had were going through the markets in Hong Kong, seeing the Grand Tetons......"

Trying showing who you are as a person, not telling it. /shrug
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships