Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM

917 posts, read 1,384,364 times

Advertisements

I am considering it right now but before I move I am looking for a job over there. I don’t want to go over there with no job lined up. Has anyone else done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 03:44 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
Yes, but it was only 40 miles.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Yes, but it was only 40 miles.
Mine is 800 miles

Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Yes, but I also relocated for school (just chose one close to him). Didn't have to worry about finding a job at that time.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I came to the US with my American husband. I'm an RN so I had to get my RN license before I could look for a job. I applied online, had a telephone interview and secured employment 3 months before I left Australia.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I came to the US with my American husband. I'm an RN so I had to get my RN license before I could look for a job. I applied online, had a telephone interview and secured employment 3 months before I left Australia.
Thats great!!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Nope, but I do know two women who did move for love. They both quickly found out that the move was a bad idea.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:09 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
I am planning it. I believe I am going to be moving at least twice in the future. But not for an established SO, but more hunting for 1. lol

I live in a small rural town. Not too many options, and the ones I did like didn't reciprocate, or notice. I plan to get to school in a small city that is around 30-45 min from where I live. There's a college there, and surely jobs and apartments, So, while I go to school and get into a bigger area, I may have a chance to meet someone than if I stayed here and went to school. Because I can sure as hell cross dating off where I live now. Then once I have finished school in the small town, that's where move #2 comes in where I go to an even bigger city for another school, and eventually career job, not a place-holder job.

But 1st I have to put in applications and find a job in the city for my 1st move, that will give me some good hours. Last job I had, around here, sucked with hours. I was lucky if I got 3, and I didn't work everyday either. That wasn't even part time. needless to say I quit.

So, finding a SO is one of my motivations for leaving, but not my only. There's other reasons lol

Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Dated my American ex in Germany for a year. Married and moved to VA where I knew nobody and quickly discovered that

a) my degree is not recognized here
and
b) my husband is not as great as I thought.

I started out with babysitting in the US and worked my way up rather quickly by networking and getting to know people with connections.

3 years later moved to California and started from scratch AGAIN but moved up quickly, thanks to my realtors effort (connected me with employers) and networking. I got an associate degree and hopefully soon a bachelors degree in law.

Love did not work out but life did. I am happy and no regrets. Well, some ... but moving and making so many new experiences was worth it.

Nowadays employer are open to skype interviews or hiring over the phone. If I were you, I would already start applying and researching.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
I am planning it. I believe I am going to be moving at least twice in the future. But not for an established SO, but more hunting for 1. lol

I live in a small rural town. Not too many options, and the ones I did like didn't reciprocate, or notice. I plan to get to school in a small city that is around 30-45 min from where I live. There's a college there, and surely jobs and apartments, So, while I go to school and get into a bigger area, I may have a chance to meet someone than if I stayed here and went to school. Because I can sure as hell cross dating off where I live now. Then once I have finished school in the small town, that's where move #2 comes in where I go to an even bigger city for another school, and eventually career job, not a place-holder job.

But 1st I have to put in applications and find a job in the city for my 1st move, that will give me some good hours. Last job I had, around here, sucked with hours. I was lucky if I got 3, and I didn't work everyday either. That wasn't even part time. needless to say I quit.

So, finding a SO is one of my motivations for leaving, but not my only. There's other reasons lol
That’s where I am having issues. I have been sending resumes and applications like crazy and nothing yet. Of course, this search has only been going on for about a month but it’s still frustrating no hear anything back at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships