Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:37 PM

792 posts, read 635,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Like Minx said someone mysterious or intriguing. You never know what they will say or do just when you think you know them.
That can be good or bad, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 04:49 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
That can be good or bad, too.
Yes I am aware of this since I am one myself.My family already informed me.lol!

Old 07-20-2014, 05:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,774 times
A bored person is likely going to be boring to others.

An interested person (interested in others, in various things in the world around them, in life) is probably going to be interesting to a decent number of other people.

An ability to communicate in a way that is engaging and inclusive to others is essential to being an interesting person. I believe that's true whether you're a homebody or a person who is well-traveled. Very interesting people are capable of making most subjects seem palatable. They also are able to talk about their seemingly routine day in a way that holds others' attention.

I also think there is a difference between a person who has an interesting life/lifestyle...and an interesting person. There are some people out there who have had all sorts of nice life experiences all over the place...yet they're such a bore to actually talk to and hang out with.

I believe there is a correlation between how happy someone is with himself and his or her own life, and how interesting he comes across to others (provided he isn't too self-absorbed). And vice versa.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:37 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
I find many people interesting. If people are nice people and fairly easy to get along with, I will converse with them. As my Anthro professor once said, "Everybody has a story to tell." I am a person who is typically willing to listen to your story.

What I typically find is that people are difficult to talk to because I am not interesting to them or because we don't have a flow that they respect.

In other words, I typically find that I am the one who is not interesting to the other person. So, I try and cut people a lot of slack on deeming them boring and nexting them, whether friends or potentials.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Like Minx said someone mysterious or intriguing. You never know what they will say or do just when you think you know them.
That's unpredictable, not mysterious.

I don't care for unpredictable.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Unpredictable is not an asset, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, it's a red flag for instability. Some people find unstable people to be endlessly interesting, they feed off the drama...I don't count myself among them, though.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I find many people interesting. If people are nice people and fairly easy to get along with, I will converse with them. As my Anthro professor once said, "Everybody has a story to tell." I am a person who is typically willing to listen to your story.

What I typically find is that people are difficult to talk to because I am not interesting to them or because we don't have a flow that they respect.

In other words, I typically find that I am the one who is not interesting to the other person. So, I try and cut people a lot of slack on deeming them boring and nexting them, whether friends or potentials.
Interesting people combine good stories with good storytelling!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Interesting people combine good stories with good storytelling!
It was a metaphor actually.

What it means is that everybody has a path and experiences in their life and they want people to hear about those experiences.

Time is precious for people. They will typically only engage themselves in listening to the stories which most excite or grab them. Even 'boring' people have experiences to share.

Anyway, I prefer a person who is open to a lot of different things. I find people to generally be inflexible. They like to define who they are based on a fairly rigid set of parameters. They like to go to the beach but they abhor the city. They like jazz music, but they are repulsed by sports and bars. People 'like what they like.'

As long as I am physically able, I'll try most anything.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:10 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Can't describe it, but know it when ya see it.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
The number one thing is the ability to keep a fluid back and forth in a conversation.

No matter how much crap you know, if you cannot effectively participate in the give and take, it is dead in the water.

I have met people who don't know much, don't hold much book learning, etc, but I could spend all day with them because they are willing to listen and to form opinions and share theirs and speak well about the things they do know about.

And I work with insanely educated people who pretty much only talk gossip or about themselves. I feel those people are boring. I know other people enjoy them because they are nice people who have friends... but they are the kind of people who are only comfortable with superficial chitchat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships