Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltio8836 View Post
I've been to a few meetups, not to start a relationship, but simply for self interest...

and I don't feel like it's any good for even making friends. I don't know how to pin point it but it was just really awkward and weird. Perhaps it was the setting or that everyone was stranger to each other but it just felt off...

Some of the popular people I know, I doubt they have even heard of Meetup.com not to mention even going to one...

I doubt it would be better to go rock climbing or kayaking with a bunch of strangers on Meetup.com rather than friends that you already know and can feel comfortable and laugh with.

If it's hard to even make friends on Meetup, I don't think it is good for starting a relationship.

But anyhow, how was meetup.com for you? How often did you go to meetup.com? Did you make friends on meetup.com that spilled over to doing other things? Did you start a successful relationship from meetup.com?
Let me tell you about meetup.com: mostly single desperate women looking for their next meal ticket. Recently single women suddenly interested in things they think men like, like hiking and biking and drinking in bars. Then men are mostly divorced or married pretending to be single., but married and looking for something fun ... for a short time. alcoholics, cheating on their wives, socially awkward... take my advice and stay away. Only losers participate in this type of social interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softfocus View Post
Let me tell you about meetup.com: mostly single desperate women looking for their next meal ticket. Recently single women suddenly interested in things they think men like, like hiking and biking and drinking in bars. Then men are mostly divorced or married pretending to be single., but married and looking for something fun ... for a short time. alcoholics, cheating on their wives, socially awkward... take my advice and stay away. Only losers participate in this type of social interaction.
I must be a loser then. Funny how I had NO idea I joined a ""girlfriends" group in order to meet men.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-09-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 09:03 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Knuckle draggin drivel spouted by a knuckle dragger with a knuckle dragger mentality.....

Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I mus be a loser then. Funny how I had NO idea I joined a ""girlfriends" group in order to meet men.

Yes and another of our groups just, this week had to kicked a guy out for harassing the women who attend these meetups for the sole purpose of mingling, participating in activities and to form new friendships, not manhunt. We often get a lot of scorned people leave these groups and spread the hate because they couldn't use it for a hookup venue. Not to say there aren't occasions where desperation on both sides of genders do exist, but it's not typical in any of the groups I know of to see the women behaving that way.

PS,

two meetup groups in this first video that get together at the beach just having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVeUJajiNus

starting in at .30 seconds, doesn't look like these women are sitting around wondering where the men are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjJu5BbTPPo

Old 08-11-2014, 12:36 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
Quote:

Someone's had a bad experience on meetup.com

I like meetup.com and its purpose. I joined a flag football league through meet up. Most of the people are from other parts of the US like chicago and houston, so they were anxious to meet new people. They're actually cool people and we hung out a few times outside of football.

I also joined the "shy singles" not for the fact that i'm shy, but my "game" is rusty. Needlesstosay that it didn't work out with that group, but the person who puts it together, seems pretty cool.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:02 PM

107 posts, read 157,322 times
I looked it over and the only group out of all of them that I was interested in is way over in the East Valley and because of lack of transportation I can't make it.
Even though there are dozens (perhaps hundreds) I am not interested in them and indeed find some ridiculous. The Paranormal and Nudist groups come to mind, give me a break.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:23 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Some can be fun. Free entertainment for a lot of them. I recommend them if you are new to a town or there is a meetup that suits your interests.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
I play flag football with people from meetup.com.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
I used to go to a lot of meetup groups, for political causes, just after I got out of the USN. Why I stopped is a topic for the political forum, but the problem wasn't meetup itself. I think it's a great idea.

The scientists at Stanford said meetup is a good way to meet people without the social pressures found in other situations. The focus is on the purpose of the meetup. For example, a hiking meetup would be focused on the hiking, so if you don't want to interact much with people the first few times you go, that would be acceptable. It can come over time. That was my experience when I was doing it earlier.

I think meetup is a good way to develop friendships, and since I want a relationship to evolve naturally from a friendship, I will return to doing meetups when I can. Right now my life situation makes it difficult. My availability is constrained by having unusual days off (Sunday and Monday), living far from the denser parts of Silicon Valley and having to use public transit.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 PM

814 posts, read 760,231 times
2 cougers, 39 and 43. Smashed em both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships