Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,738 times

Advertisements

I've been to a few meetups, not to start a relationship, but simply for self interest...

and I don't feel like it's any good for even making friends. I don't know how to pin point it but it was just really awkward and weird. Perhaps it was the setting or that everyone was stranger to each other but it just felt off...

Some of the popular people I know, I doubt they have even heard of Meetup.com not to mention even going to one...

I doubt it would be better to go rock climbing or kayaking with a bunch of strangers on Meetup.com rather than friends that you already know and can feel comfortable and laugh with.

If it's hard to even make friends on Meetup, I don't think it is good for starting a relationship.

But anyhow, how was meetup.com for you? How often did you go to meetup.com? Did you make friends on meetup.com that spilled over to doing other things? Did you start a successful relationship from meetup.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltio8836 View Post
I've been to a few meetups, not to start a relationship, but simply for self interest...

and I don't feel like it's any good for even making friends. I don't know how to pin point it but it was just really awkward and weird. Perhaps it was the setting or that everyone was stranger to each other but it just felt off...

Some of the popular people I know, I doubt they have even heard of Meetup.com not to mention even going to one...

I doubt it would be better to go rock climbing or kayaking with a bunch of strangers on Meetup.com rather than friends that you already know and can feel comfortable and laugh with.

If it's hard to even make friends on Meetup, I don't think it is good for starting a relationship.
I've met people on Meetup.com that I've made contact with outside of Meetup. I wish more men would join Meetup though.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 PM

336 posts, read 589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltio8836 View Post

But anyhow, how was meetup.com for you? How often did you go to meetup.com? Did you make friends on meetup.com that spilled over to doing other things? Did you start a successful relationship from meetup.com?
It's usually ok. If you're the outgoing type and you like meeting everyone and starting conversations with people you don't know, you'll meet plenty of people there and learn few things about each person. It's a constant effort because you have to keep it up or they won't talk to you much and just talk to people they have known for a while already.

I've noticed there are plenty of people who have already known each other long enough and have gotten to hang out outside of Meetup. Those people are close friends and you can tell from the way they talk to each other and also from how they talk about recent vacations and what their jobs are like every day. You're gonna feel a little awkward if you're sitting at a table with 5-10 friends who have known each other for years and you don't know what their jokes and stories are about. Everyone feels that way when they're new. The thing is, they don't really try to fill you in or anything so you just have to try to bring up something else to add to the conversation so they'll start talking to you. If you sit there quietly hoping they're gonna be interested in what you're thinking, they might even forget that you're there.

If you're the quiet type and you don't socialize much initially because you're shy, people won't talk to you very often. Some of the hosts and organizers will talk to you since you're new, but other than that, most people won't be interested since they'll assume you won't have much to say and that you're just gonna be very quiet and not contribute to any conversations they try to hold with you. I've had this attitude towards people who didn't talk much to others at meetups.

Every now and then, there are people who are way too serious about whatever activity it is that you're doing. Instead of going there to meet other people and hang out, they're mostly interested in the event and so much less on who is actually there. If their closest friends are there, they will talk to them, but they probably couldn't care less about new people who have shown up. Sometimes you'll have people who might be kind of awkward and/or creepy. They'll try to be funny but whatever they do or say is just not funny at all which makes people feel uncomfortable.

I haven't tried any singles Meetups, so I don't know what those are like. With the other events, like you said, it's probably not the best place to meet someone to date. I've tried to get a little closer to a girl I was interested in, but things got awkward and we can't even maintain eye contact or talk to each other anymore.

When you talk to people at these meetups, they will usually take you seriously when you talk about what you do and tell them stories about what you've done with your life and other things in your past. You might think making up something or exaggerating for the purposes of being funny might work, but they'll usually take your word for it and not assume you're trying to tell a joke, unless you make it obvious. If you try one of these jokes and it turns out to be not very funny, you've kind of ruined your first impression on these people.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I am pretty social and have found meetup to be a bust. Lots of awkward people. A friend of mine started a meetup group. I have been to 3 meet ups. The first was weird, the second was fun, and the third I hosted because I had an activity I wanted to do, lol. Everyone had a blast, which was good.

But mostly it has sucked. I have joined around a dozen groups and have only gone to maybe 10-15 meet ups since I joined in like 2009.

I honestly have better luck meeting people in long lines. : P

Old 07-21-2014, 12:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
never tried it, and i am never going try sites like that, along with match.com and eharmony type sites either. they are a waste of my time

Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I've made a few friends and gotten one date from it but didn't really do it that much bc I got busy with other interests.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
never tried it, and i am never going try sites like that, along with match.com and eharmony type sites either. they are a waste of my time

Meetup is worth a try.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Meetup is worth a try.
Meetup's goal is to connect you with activity partners based on common interests. It isn't really dating thing, although there are dating groups.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
Didn't work for me and I tried different groups. The most awkward one was this foreign movie group. We would meet like 15 minutes before in the lobby for chit chat, and then in the theater, everyone sat all over the place. Once the movie was over, everyone went there separate ways. It was very strange!

Did a singles one' and it was predominately women.

Did a hiking one and the people were boring.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:40 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Didn't work for me and I tried different groups. The most awkward one was this foreign movie group. We would meet like 15 minutes before in the lobby for chit chat, and then in the theater, everyone sat all over the place. Once the movie was over, everyone went there separate ways. It was very strange!

Did a singles one' and it was predominately women.

Did a hiking one and the people were boring.

3 tries??

Is that all.

Your social life is so much more important than three tries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships