Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
blueshirt222 and *Sixty*:

What is it with the bickering going on between the two of you on this particular thread?

And blueshirt222:

What is it with the bickering going on between you and another poster?
I thought my original response was pretty innocuous compared to some of the other posts. I was basically saying he shouldn't get offended over someone else's POV. Not sure why he felt so attacked by it but I believe he assumed that when I said "move along" in my original response, that I was telling him to leave this thread. Don't know for sure though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,025 times
Really this city data where the idea of splitting the check on the date causes so much drama and people getting all overly huffy about the end of humanity then suddenly this poster is overreacting and looking to be offended?

OP I agree with everything in that post and the rest of the intellectual laziness and dissonance can just ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Part of maturing is being able to take statements of ignorance in stride. Does it bother me to hear these things? Sure, but I also know that someone that closed-minded isn't going to learn anything from talking to me about it anyway. You see comments about "real men" all over these forums, including from women. If anyone one individual believes that they have the secret insight that dictates any level of maturity, honor, manliness, or any other cultural phenomenon about an entire gender, just let them continue to play in their sandbox.
This I can cosign too.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
New flash....men and women are different.

The things it takes to "make a man" will of course be different than the things it takes to "make a woman".
There are clear biological differences related to reproduction. Other than that I can not think of a single thing that "makes a man" or "makes a woman". Perhaps you can regale us with these differences?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:39 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Not sexist just nauseating, sort of the Thomas Kincaid of Facebook posts.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,194,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
New flash....men and women are different.

The things it takes to "make a man" will of course be different than the things it takes to "make a woman".
That's weird, I thought Nila Jones clearly stated the only difference between us was genitalia....lolllll

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM

818 posts, read 917,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Huge over reaction by OP
I agree. It think the OP is missing the meaning of the FB quote. OP should think a little deeper and not be so knee-jerk to things IMO

Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt222 View Post
You know when people love to post "inspirational sayings" on FB? I came across this gem recently:

"A man’s rite of passage is loving a woman with all of his heart.
Until a man can love a woman the way she deserves to be
loved, he’s still a boy. "

I have no problem with a man loving a woman with all of his heart but considering it a "rite of passage"
that defines whether he transitions from a boy to a man if he doesn't love a woman the way she "deserves"
to be loved? Ugh.

Can you imagine switching the genders and how offensive this would immediately sound to women?

"A woman’s rite of passage is loving a man with all of her heart.
Until a woman can love a man the way he deserves to be
loved, she’s still a girl. "

Sounds like something from the 1950's on how to be a good housewife, doesn't it?
Yet, in 2014, we have no trouble at all defining the passage into manhood by how well a given man loves a woman as much as she "deserves" to be loved.

While I am at it, I am a little sick and tired of this notion in our society that manhood is something that must be earned by doing X.

"If you don't do X you are not a real man and are still a boy."

In my mind, you become a man when you reach the age of majority. Whether or not you are a good man or a bad man is another issue but since when is manhood itself up to society and usually women to define it's threshold?

The sentiment above just REEKS of entitlement and shaming language. You don't "deserve" to be loved just by virtue of being born a specific gender. Love is a two way street.

Sexism is also a two way street. It's sexist to think women deserve special treatment or should be placed on a pedestal just because they are female.

Now, I love my wife with all of my heart and do little and big things all the time to show her this, as she does for me but that's because we are compatible, we love each other and have put effort into the relationship. It also had a large degree of luck involved as I know plenty of good people, male and female who have not had the fortune of meeting their true loves yet.
Um...you're making a mountain out of a mole hill...

Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
OP: Disturbed?

You're here, why?

I think you go out and look for this stuff.

You love it.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 PM

18 posts, read 18,092 times
This the way the world is now OP. Deal with it. You can be sexist to a man all you want, but say something slightly critical about women (even if it's true), society will want your head.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 PM

539 posts, read 523,771 times
I think OP is mainly complaining how its cool for women to post negative generalized **** about men, but the other way around is considered ridiculous and extremely sexist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships