Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I don't flirt unless I mean it.
Lots of women do though, even if it's subconscious. And flirting at it's core is trying to decipher and translate signals.

Which is fine for most people.

But more unattractive guys don't get any true signals or attention or attraction from women, so they will subconsciously brainwash themselves into thinking women give them.

How often do we have a thread where a young man says:

• There was this girl at the ice cream shop and she smiled at me and asked if I was from around there. Does she like me?"
  • There's this girl at work, when my paper fell by the copier, she picked it up and said, "You droppppped thissss." in a musical tone.
Etc, etc. And the response of course is, "Jesus lord, you idiot, do men have to take every single notion of female friendliness as flirting and that we want you to take us to bed? She has no interest in you moron!"

To which guy's response is, "Damn, I thought she liked me."

As for people who can attract others regularly, well, flirting is just kind of useless. They're going to make a move on each other and profess their attraction straight up anyway. It's a useless means to get to an end, though I can see how it would be fun if you know you have good chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,273 times
I keep it conservative and platonic when I flirt and show interest it scares women off

Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So reading some threads on this forum some people are unsure of they way we send our flirting signals. Obviously it is different for everyone, but I thought this thread could giver people some ideas on what to try or what to look for.

Share the sorts of things you do when you are flirting with intent. Here are two of mine.

1. I am too chicken to approach unless there is a really good reason for me to approach you to initiate a conversation (read this as obvious reason, like you are already talking to someone I know). Since this doesn't happen most of the time, then orbiting is the way to go. Basically I will plant myself nearby (and make really slight eye contact occasionally) so you only have a few steps to go if you want to chat with me. This might mean walking past you to go to the bathroom a few times, and maybe stopping to put on lip gloss or check my phone halfway there in your field of vision. Or it could mean planting myself at the table near yours during a cocktail party.

2. Assuming I am already talking to you, then I'll find a reason to touch your lower arm or elbow during the conversation to make a point. I'll live my hand there for just one extra second so you know it is intentional (and of course read your corresponding body language).

Speak up, what do you do when you are flirting?
I have no idea, I just try to be polite and not look silly.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Ahahaha....ok smooth operator.
yep, like twelve year old scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Flattery will get you everywhere.
of course it will, why do you think i use it?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, like twelve year old scotch

Damn straight and on the rocks.

of course it will, why do you think i use it?
Hahaha.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:57 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Flirting is fairly bad in my book even if women mean no harm because women who do it, do it all the time subconsciously as part of their persona, and often to men they no interest in. Not all women flirt.

It's pretty much the equivalent of some handsome guy taking aside some fat, ugly chick and telling her how cool and funny she is and touching her knee and gently touching her arm.

Of course, I'm immune to signals and flirting, but it can really lasso young guys into falling hard for women who have no interest in them.
Not to sound like a pompous ass, but I am careful about who I talk to, let alone who I flirt with. Don't want to give any ideas to people who I don't want to have ideas.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:01 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Not to sound like a pompous ass, but I am careful about who I talk to, let alone who I flirt with. Don't want to give any ideas to people who I don't want to have ideas.
Attractive people have the responsibility not to lead people on in my opinion. It's your gift, so it's your responsibility.

Men and women, though you rarely see a handsome guy getting all playful with a fat, ugly woman. You see cute women getting playful with men they have no interest in, uh, like every hour of every day.

But I think it's great that you take responsibility.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually its the other way around, the women do the choosing, its the men that put themselves into position to be chosen. remember sex for women is a choice, they can choose to have it or not, and who they have it with. for men its a chore, in that we have to work the woman to get her to choose us.
LOL, speak for yourself. Women are humans too, it's as much a choice for them as it is for us guys. If it's such a chore then you're going about it the wrong way. I can tell you that I'm not some piece of meat in a buffet line that women can choose to bed at will. I have standards and absolutely do not need to get laid on any given night. A good night's sleep is about equal in terms of desirability at this point.

Edit: I should mention that I've been working on lucid dreaming for a couple years now, so my sleep is valuable and useful. Plus I can have sex in hyper realistic dreams with whoever I want. Most people don't realize how vivid and real dreams can be when you work at it, they are identical to waking life, same experience.

Last edited by tofur; 07-24-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
LOL, speak for yourself. Women are humans too, it's as much a choice for them as it is for us guys. If it's such a chore then you're going about it the wrong way. I can tell you that I'm not some piece of meat in a buffet line that women can choose to bed at will. I have standards and absolutely do not need to get laid on any given night. A good night's sleep is about equal in terms of desirability at this point.
you missed my point. a woman, any woman, can simply tell a guy that she wants to get laid by him, and chances are the woman is going to get what she wants. that same guy on the other hand can walk up to that same woman, and say the same thing and be rejected straight away. as i said, women choose who they have sex with, men have to work at it to get it.

Quote:
Edit: I should mention that I've been working on lucid dreaming for a couple years now, so my sleep is valuable and useful. Plus I can have sex in hyper realistic dreams with whoever I want. Most people don't realize how vivid and real dreams can be when you work at it, they are identical to waking life, same experience.
yes lucid dreaming is amazing when you have trained your mind. now your next step is to do that lucid dreaming while you are awake.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Speak up, what do you do when you are flirting?
I tell him "I like you. Would like to get to know you better." I don't think I have ever really flirted with anybody because I don't like it. I don't like people who flirt too much either, but that is just me.

I like old fashioned romance. Straight forward and clean, polite and romantic.

I've given a love letter to a 23 year old guy when I was 14 or 13 (Don't remember anymore). He said I was cute and gave me ice cream (He owned an ice cream franchise) ** shrug **
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships