Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,879 times

Advertisements

Since I decided to break out of my shell in 2012 and start being less socially repressed and introverted, I've gone on my fair share of dates and have had friends-with-benefits here and there......but I've never had a serious, monogamous relationship with anyone yet. Now that all of my friends are always out with their BF/GF or bring them along when we hang out, I find it's starting to bother and depress me and leaves me feeling lonely. Sex is also get "weird" for me, as I want it but can't see myself enjoying it someone that just sees me as a friend with benefits, not a lover. Really frustrating.

I have no problems making new friends (especially platonic ones, it seems), but when it comes to expressing interest/desire in someone I find attractive...I don't really know how to do so without a serious amount of apprehension and anxiety. I usually think I'm being rude, imposing or a creeper if I want to tell someone I like them and find them attractive. Sometimes I think I'm doing it too soon, have waited too long or should even bother at all.

I don't know why I do this, as I seem to bond with people and form solid friendships without any problems or friction. I'm a generally likeable person and I'm always told by friends I'm attractive, funny and a pleasure to be around so I know I have that going for me....I'm just unsure of what else is missing here, maybe just initiative/confidence.

Also, if it matters, Fun Fact: I did not start dating or having sex until I was 25, two years ago.

Thanks!

Last edited by PJG87; 07-24-2014 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Awww honey, you're going to be okay, just try to relax.

Learn to look at things from a positive slant instead of a negative one first and foremost.

For instance, look how far you've come just since 2012 when you decided to take those first steps out of your shell

Here's what I'd recommend...consider hiring a life coach. You just need some good reinforcement and ideas on how exactly to navigate your social life.

You will get what you want because you've proven you are willing to do the work to go after a better life. GOOD FOR YOU.

Just don't get down on yourself and keep you thoughts positive at all times!

Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
It's not a turn off for a lot of people.

I say keep doing what you're doing. You're going to be just fine. It's not as big a deal as some people try to make it out to be.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 PM

161 posts, read 395,133 times
Just remember that a lot of people are in the same boat! You aren't alone. If they think it's a deal breaker, that's their loss.

I'm 25 and I have never been in a serious relationship either. I've been on dates here and there, it's just nothing has turned into anything serious. I'm really just trying to focus on fulfilling my goals (not work, but personal) and being happy with myself. I think a good, healthy relationship should be icing on the cake

I like to think that everyone has a different timeline. You shouldn't compare yourself to other people, because you will meet someone when the time is right (at least that is what I tell myself to feel better, haha)

Old 07-24-2014, 08:21 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
You're fine. You do have some experience. But it's not a big deal unless you make it. Like acting insecure about it, or coming off as trying to showboat to make up for it.

Just be confident, and seem like a nice and fun guy who has his head on straight and his act together. Not having a serious relationship before 25 isn't a crisis. lol

You had some FWB. Just don't come off like a player-someone that uses and dumps women.

Otherwise, you should be totally fine. You may just have to be more eager in your search. Like asking out more. Go to the mall. Lots of women in a place like that. If you see a girl that looks nice, chat her up a bit. Go places where many women will be, and you can just try your luck and talk to some.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
I've actually met someone who hasn't started dating until in his 30s. Hopefully the "date market" doesn't work the same way as the job market in terms of being "out of work".

Unless you're one of those people who gets dates all the time, then this sort of thing will always be unnatural. You really need to get out of your comfort zone and just ask them out. Hell, I still have problems with this.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 7,879 times
Thanks all! =D

Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
I think your fine. It's not like you are hiding in your parents basement and never spoken to a woman before. Being 27, having dated, etc, but not having had a long term relationship is not anything to worry about.

Don't stress it. Just start to work on building a more meaningful relationship with some of the women you date and find chemistry with, and maybe start staying away with FWB situations that are leaving you less than fulfilled.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM

120 posts, read 118,246 times
You're not unusual, OP. Nothing wrong with not having had a relationship at the ripe old age of 27, lol! At that age, women are happy just to find a decent guy. There may be some who think you're lame, but who cares about them? The fact that you're now preferring sex that comes with a level of bonding speaks well in your behalf. There are women into that, for sure, and that trumps the fact that you're a relationship newbie. Cheer up. There are women out there for you.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,121,043 times
Ideally, no. But then again, that depends on who you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships