Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,003,959 times

Advertisements

I totally stole this question from Lilac110. I thought it deserved its own thread .

Her whole question ended with, '...for fear of dying alone,' but that did not fit in the length limit for thread titles!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 03:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,902,547 times
Sex too early. In the past I sometimes slept with men too early and often sex was all the wanted. My last few boyfriends were fine with waiting and my boyfriend wants to wait until marriage though I would consider possibly when we officially become engaged.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM

My answers:

- When I was very young, I used to be annoying until a guy would dump me, because I wanted a guy who would not dump me. Yeah, that was dumb.

- Assumed that things he did in the initial puppy-love stage of the relationship were things he wanted to return to, like I did. E.g frequent sex, emotional closeness, etc. Now I know to ask, not assume, and that many people only want those things at the beginning.

- Assumed that when a person has a big breakthrough they are all excited about, identifying some dysfunctional pattern in their life, that their next step will be to start work on changing the pattern. It was a complete shock to me to realise that many people do not do that. They have then insight, and that is the end. They go back to before.

- Assumed that money does not solve anything.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM

Heh, for me, sex too late is a problem. Getting all attached and then finding out we are on different wavelengths.

Add to list:

- Assumed we could work out differences in sexual styles, or that sex was not so important, or that adults just always have boring sex.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:28 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,197,286 times
But, 1 thing I did learn for 1st hand experience. Don't play hard to get.

There was this one guy I liked. Now, I think he liked me too. He seemed to tease me alot-but not in a mean way. I thought he was cute. But I acted like I didn't like him, and tried the play hard to get, and I think it killed it all. After a bit, he lost interest, and later on, ended up with a girlfriend, who was not me.

So, I know now, not to do that. My mother told me, I should play hard to get. But that doesn't work. It just chases people off, and if you're super hot with people lining up to have you, that's fine. You can afford to scare some off. I am not one of the super hot vixens. So, that will not work for me. So, if a guy shows interest, and I am attracted to him, we're on.

Otherwise, I don't have any serious mes-ups relationship wise. But I do think my lack of dating helps me a bit. Because since I am not doing 1st hand, it gives me a chance to observe more, and be more aware-what I want, red flags to spot. Learning about my own self.

When I finally do meet a guy who likes me and we start dating, I will make mistakes. I am not a relationship wizard. But, I do think hearing other people's experiences, and seeing things for others helped me a good bit, so I can be more informed than the teens who start relationships not knowing anything, then it's played by ear with every mistake under the sun made. lol

Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,629,273 times
Getting deeply involved with someone with a deeply dysfunctional family and optimistically turning a blind eye to his myriad related issues.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,111,704 times
I dated a lady who had two teen age daughters. I found I just couldn't handle her attitude toward her two kids, her method of discipline really sucked, but I kept my mouth shut just to see what would happen. The next woman I dated had a similar attitude with a son that was given anything he asked for. The third woman I dated also had two kids, but I didn't get real serious until they graduated from high school and were gone. I found after they were out of the house she was a different person and I couldn't find any real deal killing faults, and there was nothing I wanted to change in her. I learned from the early experiences that people don't change, even when they want to. I also found out many times the people you might be dating are a lot like their parents and have similar thoughts and ideas of relationships.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,339,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I totally stole this question from Lilac110. I thought it deserved its own thread .

Her whole question ended with, '...for fear of dying alone,' but that did not fit in the length limit for thread titles!
We all die alone. We don't bring our spouses with us.
One hopes.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,363,611 times
Giving 100% trust in my partner.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,716,145 times
Went into my LDR with pre-conceived notions as to how I thought it would be. Not doing THAT again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships