Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,123,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Nobody has to be pleasant and cordial to everyone they come into contact with.
Has to? No, but good people are. People of high character are.

There is no reason to be otherwise, even in the face of indifference or even antagonism. Always always take the high road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,698,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not being friends is fine. No one said otherwise. But not being pleasant and cordial? Why would I treat someone worse than a stranger just because they said no to a date proposition?

Sorry, that is selfish and immature, virtually by definition.
No one suggested not being pleasant and cordial you and some other jumped to that eager to throw out some selfish and immature labels.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
No one suggested not being pleasant and cordial you and some other jumped to that eager to throw out some selfish and immature labels.

Actually plenty of people suggested not being pleasant and cordial, and thus, rightly deserved the selfish and immature labels.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,335,403 times
Quote:
Actually plenty of people suggested not being pleasant and cordial, and thus, rightly deserved the selfish and immature labels.
That doesn't mean they're selfish and immature. Some people aren't trying to be social with everyone they come into contact with. I know some people like this and they're very nice people. What if they're having a bad day or something?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean they're selfish and immature. Some people aren't trying to be social with everyone they come into contact with. I know some people like this and they're very nice people. What if they're having a bad day or something?

Everyone has a bad day from time to time, those are rare exceptions. But nice people that don't act nicely to others? Sorry, that doesn't fly. Nice people act like nice people.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM

11,173 posts, read 8,028,467 times
As my dear mother would have said.. Get off the cross.. We need the wood.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,673,384 times
Quote:
I disagree with this there is no selfishness. One person has the right to not return romantic feelings and the other person has a right to end the friend. The friendship can keep going or it can end both are completely valid. Both parties are looking out for their interest since its their feelings so trying to make a bad guy out of one of them is inane.
Why are you talking about friendship? If I ask out a coworker and she rejects me, I'm not then expecting us to be friends. But given that I'll continue working with her alongside other people, it's in everybody's best interests that we stay on good terms.

Quote:
Nobody has to be pleasant and cordial to everyone they come into contact with.
So if you asked out a friend of a friend and she rejected you, you would not even be pleasant around her. How do you think your mutual friends would react? Do you think they'd want you around if you're going to be a jerk to their other friend?

Quote:
Not being friends is fine. No one said otherwise. But not being pleasant and cordial? Why would I treat someone worse than a stranger just because they said no to a date proposition?

Sorry, that is selfish and immature, virtually by definition.
Exactly. These guys don't want to own up to that. Instead, all they can focus on is ME, ME, ME. I was dissed so I'm going to be cold to the person who dissed me. Seriously, some guys can't or don't want to grow up.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't see much plenty one poster said that it happens which is not a suggestion just stating an observation and closest would be 49ers quote which still isn't suggesting anything.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:49 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,673,384 times
Quote:
I don't see much plenty one poster said that it happens which is not a suggestion just stating an observation and closest would be 49ers quote which still isn't suggesting anything.
He said that he would no longer talk to a woman who rejected him. If you're not talking, then you're obviously not being cordial or pleasant with them.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Why are you talking about friendship? If I ask out a coworker and she rejects me, I'm not then expecting us to be friends. But given that I'll continue working with her alongside other people, it's in everybody's best interests that we stay on good terms.

The thread is called women you know. That implies there is a some friendship or acquaintances not someone who caught your eye off the street. In fact the coworker thing has nothing to do with this either you made that scenario and used it to go on some lambasting spree. Heck the OP was trying to be broad and you are stuck on this once hypothetical scenario and running wild with it.

Exactly. These guys don't want to own up to that. Instead, all they can focus on is ME, ME, ME. I was dissed so I'm going to be cold to the person who dissed me. Seriously, some guys can't or don't want to grow up.
I don't have to own up to anything just because some guys on a public discussion are overly pious in their opinion and conclusion jumping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships