Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 12:09 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,336,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Because it is good manners.

I hold the doors for anyone. Males and females (regardless of how hot they are, age, etc.).
Well, good for you. But after being called a sexist jerk, I was like f**k it. If they're able-bodied and healthy, open your own doors. If the person is elderly, then I'll do it.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:20 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,425,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Well, good for you. But after being called a sexist jerk, I was like f**k it. If they're able-bodied and healthy, open your own doors. If the person is elderly, then I'll do it.
I am sad you are letting some nasty lady affect your view on this.

I smiled at an older man as I was serving him a beer on the golf course. He grabbed my boob and said some obscene stuff.

Do I stop smiling at men? No

do I think most men are pervs...no.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,084,985 times
Quote:
I agree with Meyerland. Do not let one jerk deter you from extending courtesy to others.

Otherwise your just dropping down to the level of the jerk.

The word is full of unappreciative people, and although they seem to stand out they are still the minority.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Freely given Chivalry died when the majority of women started the "I don't need a man" movement.

The name of the game now is..... I do for you...you do for me.

Men are no longer giving away chivalry freely.

It must be earned.
rubbish, i give away chivalry freely. its good manners, and it comes back to you when you least expect it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

I smiled at an older man as I was serving him a beer on the golf course. He grabbed my boob and said some obscene stuff.

i am also sad that 49er lets some idiot stop him from opening doors for people. if some girl called me a sexist jerk for opening a door for her, i would tell her, no its just good manners, like saying thank you when some one does something nice for you.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:16 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,839,394 times
Quote:
What about if the elder was able-bodied and healthy?

Old 08-10-2014, 07:00 AM

11,834 posts, read 12,098,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Because it is good manners.

I hold the doors for anyone. Males and females (regardless of how hot they are, age, etc.).
I agree . So much do chivalry is just good manners and consideration for your fellow humans. Good manners and acts of kindness and politeness should not be restricted by gender, nor should your kind behaviour be dependent on getting anything in return.

It also requires the ability to not be so damn self-absorbed and notice people around you. Hold the door for someone following behind you if they're within a reasonable distance. Give up your seat for a pregnant woman, an elderly man, a young girl on crutches. Help a mom with a stroller get down some stairs when she has no other option. You're not too busy or too important to spare 5 seconds for someone else, no matter how it's received.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:01 AM

9,587 posts, read 5,873,410 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Exactly, Meyerland.

See, 49ers, you know what the main problem that all you young guys with your women-hating attitudes have? It's not rude women. It's your own self-absorption.

Do you really think that you're the only guy (or gal) on the planet who's been the recipient of shockingly rude behavior? Ill-mannered, self-centered people (women AND men) are, sadly, everywhere. They're in the minority, thankfully, but we ALL encounter them, sometimes when we least expect to. I and everyone else here on this forum could go on and on with examples of rude, inconsiderate, and even hostile behavior we've experienced from strangers, friends, family members, and yes, romantic interests. That's. Life.

So, as a young guys, you gotta ask yourselves, Am I going to go through my entire life feeling angry and sorry for myself? Because you know who you're hurting the most with your anger? Yourselves. Really, the absolute best thing you guys could do for yourselves - and I mean this sincerely - is to get over yourselves.

You're just a spit in the ocean like the rest of us are, so you've got to learn to put things into perspective. I know part of your inability to do so is the fact that you're young (we've all been there), but the sooner you guys realize that everything is NOT about YOU, and that everyone is dealing with own sh**, is when you'll feel happier. Truth!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 AM

9,587 posts, read 5,873,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I agree . So much do chivalry is just good manners and consideration for your fellow humans. Good manners and acts of kindness and politeness should not be restricted by gender, nor should your kind behaviour be dependent on getting anything in return.

It also requires the ability to not be so damn self-absorbed and notice people around you. Hold the door for someone following behind you if they're within a reasonable distance. Give up your seat for a pregnant woman, an elderly man, a young girl on crutches. Help a mom with a stroller get down some stairs when she has no other option. You're not too busy or too important to spare 5 seconds for someone else, no matter how it's received.
That's it, right there!

You guys need to repeat this mantra to yourselves: It's not about me, it's not about me, it's not about me..."

Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 AM

845 posts, read 1,353,984 times
How many men and women here were brought up this way? Was it your parents that told you to be nice and extend manners?

I was never told to be chivalrous or how to be chivalrous. I picked up chivalry on my own and enjoyed the reactions of most people's output. So seeing these manners and applying it to the real world felt great for, and it wasn't based on gender either.

Chivalry or good manners has died for me. I can confirm what other posters are saying when some women will react badly to a good gesture. From there, since I only wanted to be nice, the feeling was pretty much stomped on.

For now my manners have mutated. If I want to open the door for a lady that is behind me, I'll slow my walking down and let her walk ahead of me. She can then open the door herself.

To answer another post earlier in this thread: I don't think it's hatred of the y-generation of men but more so confusion. They might have seen their parents extend good manners but later, either in the news or a tv show or even in life, seen the reaction of most people.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 AM

29,781 posts, read 34,571,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
Chivalry or good manners has died for me. I can confirm what other posters are saying when some women will react badly to a good gesture. From there, since I only wanted to be nice, the feeling was pretty much stomped on.

For now my manners have mutated. If I want to open the door for a lady that is behind me, I'll slow my walking down and let her walk ahead of me. She can then open the door herself.
Like others, I don't get this attitude. You display good manners because it is the right thing to do, not because you get a good reaction to it. If someone has poor manners and doesn't appreciate your civility, that's their issue, not yours, and you can hold your head high because you've done the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships