Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,302,815 times

Advertisements

Yes of course, your op is the kind I'm looking for. I like a chivalry man and totally into old school man for relationship. I don't believe any woman who don't enjoy being treated like a lady by their man, perhaps unless she doesn't believe she should be treated like one or its someone she's not interested in.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,424,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Like others, I don't get this attitude. You display good manners because it is the right thing to do, not because you get a good reaction to it. If someone has poor manners and doesn't appreciate your civility, that's their issue, not yours, and you can hold your head high because you've done the right thing.
Yes, this.

I was driving in a parking lot and stopped to let a pregnant lady cross the road. This drove another lady crazy and she was honking and cursing. Really?

I would still stop to let a pregnant lady cross. sheesh.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:28 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,118,539 times
I was raised in that manner and my children are as well. ALL of my kids know to hold a door for someone, to let others out of the elevator first...etc. and they ALL say thank you when those things are done for them.

If they see someone struggling, they will step in and help...I don't tell them to do it, they have learned from example.

Chivalry is not dead...it just may have skipped the "me" generation.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 AM

51,253 posts, read 36,914,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and i am just as amazed that the guys wont hold a door for a lady. many is the time when out on a date, and it was raining, i would have my lady wait while i got the car and brought it up as close as possible to the door where she was waiting. i would also get out and open the passenger door for her so that she could minimize the amount of time she was actually in the rain.
That's awesome! I had a first date once with a man who blew me away with his chivalry....we were meeting at an outdoor bar that is very popular in the summer, and I drove around and around the parking lot and the streets and no spots anywhere....I call him, he is already at a table waiting for me.....he tells me meet him in the parking lot, 3rd row, red car.....I drive up to the car, he walks out of the restaurant, gets in car, pulls out of spot so I can park there, then he drives around himself to find a spot. When I get to the table while he was parking, there is a single red rose and a Margherita waiting for me...talk about knight in shining armor moments, I was swooning!

Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I was raised in that manner and my children are as well. ALL of my kids know to hold a door for someone, to let others out of the elevator first...etc. and they ALL say thank you when those things are done for them.

If they see someone struggling, they will step in and help...I don't tell them to do it, they have learned from example.

Chivalry is not dead...it just may have skipped the "me" generation.
WHICH "me" generation? The baby boomers?

Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,214,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's awesome! I had a first date once with a man who blew me away with his chivalry....we were meeting at an outdoor bar that is very popular in the summer, and I drove around and around the parking lot and the streets and no spots anywhere....I call him, he is already at a table waiting for me.....he tells me meet him in the parking lot, 3rd row, red car.....I drive up to the car, he walks out of the restaurant, gets in car, pulls out of spot so I can park there, then he drives around himself to find a spot. When I get to the table while he was parking, there is a single red rose and a Margherita waiting for me...talk about knight in shining armor moments, I was swooning!
Lucky you. I would kill for a guy like that. Would make my heart flutter, which rarely happens. But then again, given how rare chivalry is, I would be a bit cautious of his intent. Am I a special lady, or is he trying to get laid after the date.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,118,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
WHICH "me" generation? The baby boomers?
Nope, in my experience it's the 20-somethings (late teen and 20's). You might have a different experience and that's fine...but between my husband and myself we are sometimes left scratching our head with the folks we work with and interact with. Granted, not all of them, but the majority of them.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 AM

19,468 posts, read 15,338,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This here! I do not understand the door slammers who won't hold a door and yet know your about to walk through. Whether a woman or a man is coming through behind you.

I do not understand when being polite to others became a bad thing...
What's funny is when you perform a simple act of kindness, man or woman, and people almost act shocked.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 AM

845 posts, read 1,353,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Lucky you. I would kill for a guy like that. Would make my heart flutter, which rarely happens. But then again, given how rare chivalry is, I would be a bit cautious of his intent. Am I a special lady, or is he trying to get laid after the date.
There it is, the actual response I was looking for. Why is your belief and understanding so much better to perceive? Can't a guy be genuinely nice and not taken for the usual response: "He just wants sex."

Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,214,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
There it is, the actual response I was looking for. Why is your belief and understanding so much better to perceive? Can't a guy be genuinely nice and not taken for the usual response: "He just wants sex."
Sure a guy can be genuinely nice, but trust takes time to gain. I have heard and seen too many women who fall for the guy who treated them like a queen, and soon that act was dropped and they were treated like sex buddies, if not humped and dumped.

So yes, not all men are players, but unless you're a mind-reader you can't know someone's intentions, so you can wear your heart on your sleeve and fall for the 1st good words and nice actions you hear and experience. It's great, especially for those it rarely happens to, but be cautious.

A genuinely nice person may offer you a ride someplace, and take you there with no problem. or they may pretend to be nice, drive you someplace and kill, rob or rape you. I have seen the latter happen-or heard it on the news, really. Why do you think parents tell their kids not to take candy from strangers. Some people may genuinely like kids, and wanna give them treats. Other, not so much.

So, there are some nice guys. But there's just as many, if not more, players that you have to be weary of. And sadly, the nasty guys make it harder for the good guys when women have to be on the watch for them. Rather than going to a bar, or getting a hooker, many guys will seduce a nice girl, and pretend to be her best friend when he knows good and well he doesn't give a crap for her.

If you're a guy, I guess it's hard to understand. Seems some guys on this board and in life feel women have no reasons for being extra cautious with dating and sex.

Not to say women should live in fear, but they shouldn't be too naive and trusting either.

Last edited by HappyRain; 08-10-2014 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships